Yirgacheffe Posted August 1, 2014 Posted August 1, 2014 It's really going to depend on where you live, what time of year it is and the person's body type. I've searched long and hard sometimes and found few clothes, if any, that will work. Other times it just took a slight bit of work.I've never had a problem finding things that covered them to their satisfaction no matter the season and shopping in one of the countries largest shopping centers. The only thing that ever threw a wrench in it was words, like I said my kids won't wear anything that has words on it. No advertizing, no cute phrases, no PINK, no words, not on the front or the back, down the side or small printing at the bottom.
Rain Posted August 1, 2014 Posted August 1, 2014 (edited) I've never had a problem finding things that covered them to their satisfaction no matter the season and shopping in one of the countries largest shopping centers. The only thing that ever threw a wrench in it was words, like I said my kids won't wear anything that has words on it. No advertizing, no cute phrases, no PINK, no words, not on the front or the back, down the side or small printing at the bottom.Then count yourself lucky, because believe me, I've spent a lot of time shopping on occasion. Perhaps you have had better luck since you have access to "one of the countries largest shopping centers". Edited August 1, 2014 by Rain
Yirgacheffe Posted August 1, 2014 Posted August 1, 2014 Then count yourself lucky, because believe me, I've spent a lot of time shopping on occasion. Perhaps you have had better luck since you have access to "one of the countries largest shopping centers".Well the window displays are all filled with stuff my kids won't wear, large shopping malls certainly don't cater to or advertise to those who are looking for modest clothing, but if you go inside the stores there is a lot to choose from. I've had a number of lucky shopping trips (home from vacation this morning need clothes for five kids and me this evening for a wake, 1.5 hours later everyone is clothed and happy, need a Shirley Temple dress for 3rd grader and a WAC dress for 5th grader and again done in under 2 hours) but finding modest clothing has never been hard. I suppose it helps that none of my kids (all girls) are all that concerned with being fashionable in any sense, give them a comfortable pair of jeans (not tight) and a long tee shirt, polo or henley and they're good to go.
readstoomuch Posted August 1, 2014 Posted August 1, 2014 the blessing of babies falls within the jurisdiction of the bishop. So if he wants to bless the baby at home, you will need the consent and permission of the bishop.Yes, but since they won`t be doing so, it doesn`t really matter whether the bishop consents or not at this point.
smac97 Posted August 1, 2014 Posted August 1, 2014 Yes, but since they won`t be doing so, it doesn`t really matter whether the bishop consents or not at this point. Oh, I am sorry. I misunderstood. I construed your post as saying that your son did not want to bless his child at Church, and instead wanted to do it at home. My mistake. Thank you, -Smac
Tacenda Posted August 1, 2014 Posted August 1, 2014 Just back from a short vacation, I'm glad to hear a good time was had by all. Really nothing better then when you have a large loving family gathering. Thank you! Glad you got away for a vaca!!
Rain Posted August 1, 2014 Posted August 1, 2014 Well the window displays are all filled with stuff my kids won't wear, large shopping malls certainly don't cater to or advertise to those who are looking for modest clothing, but if you go inside the stores there is a lot to choose from. I've had a number of lucky shopping trips (home from vacation this morning need clothes for five kids and me this evening for a wake, 1.5 hours later everyone is clothed and happy, need a Shirley Temple dress for 3rd grader and a WAC dress for 5th grader and again done in under 2 hours) but finding modest clothing has never been hard. I suppose it helps that none of my kids (all girls) are all that concerned with being fashionable in any sense, give them a comfortable pair of jeans (not tight) and a long tee shirt, polo or henley and they're good to go.The way you describe your daughters fits my daughter a great deal. We go into stores and don't just window shop. I'm glad you are able to find clothes for your daughters, but please don't assume that it is as easy for everyone as it is for you. We spent a day of shopping this week. We found one shirt for dd. Some shirts looked modest on the hanger, but were just a bit wide in collar showing her straps. Some went too deep. Some had arm holes too big. Some are too short. Her biggest problem was going too tight across the chest - and I'm talking about fit there, not some over inflated sense of modesty. We have for some time bought tanks for her, but have the same problems. Funny thing is when tanks first started being popular under shirts they were longer and came up on the neckline more. After a couple of years that changed for many of the places I had once bought them.
Tacenda Posted August 1, 2014 Posted August 1, 2014 (edited) The way you describe your daughters fits my daughter a great deal.We go into stores and don't just window shop. I'm glad you are able to find clothes for your daughters, but please don't assume that it is as easy for everyone as it is for you.We spent a day of shopping this week. We found one shirt for dd. Some shirts looked modest on the hanger, but were just a bit wide in collar showing her straps. Some went too deep. Some had arm holes too big. Some are too short. Her biggest problem was going too tight across the chest - and I'm talking about fit there, not some over inflated sense of modesty.We have for some time bought tanks for her, but have the same problems. Funny thing is when tanks first started being popular under shirts they were longer and came up on the neckline more. After a couple of years that changed for many of the places I had once bought them.We might need a thread just for this topic, but I'm struggling to find any shirt that doesn't show some of my garment top unless I wear another shirt underneath or unless I buy the collared shirts only. It's so frustrating. I wish the church would design the garment to scoop out a little more on the neckline. ETA: Or it could be I'm not buying the right garment top. I can't handle the newer one that feels like Lycra, it's so hot. Edited August 1, 2014 by Tacenda
Rain Posted August 1, 2014 Posted August 1, 2014 (edited) You're right Tacenda. I don't have more to say at this point so I won't start one, but may find I have more to say if someone wanted to start one. From the OP: Is it just a confusing term that shouldn't be use? I don't know that it is a confusing term. I think it is more a new term. I hadn't heard it till about 6 months ago when I heard someone describing himself. Perhaps it is just new enough that there just isn't a consensus of a definition yet, though I suspect it is more widely known by people who feel they fit the definition. Edited August 1, 2014 by Rain
cinepro Posted August 1, 2014 Posted August 1, 2014 I've always understood a "Cultural Mormon" to be someone who appreciates the finer things in Mormon culture. I, for one, have a fine appreciation for Saturday's Warrior, early Michael McLean (before he sold out), the less-edgy works of Janice Kapp Perry, and anything by Del Parson or Greg Olsen, so I would count myself among the "Cultural Mormons".
Tacenda Posted August 1, 2014 Posted August 1, 2014 I've always understood a "Cultural Mormon" to be someone who appreciates the finer things in Mormon culture. I, for one, have a fine appreciation for Saturday's Warrior, early Michael McLean (before he sold out), the less-edgy works of Janice Kapp Perry, and anything by Del Parson or Greg Olsen, so I would count myself among the "Cultural Mormons".The original Saturday's Warrior, I saw in person with my husband and young children in tow....I guess I'd consider myself cultural too if we're going off these agendas. I'll add in cupcake sales at the Primary after school. I want to say it was the RS raising money for different things, back in the day that it was their organization, not ran by the PH or men, I should say. Road Shows and plays about the pioneers. Just a lot of social things back when things were more complicated and not so simplified to strip activities down to nearly zip.
Robert F. Smith Posted August 1, 2014 Posted August 1, 2014 I've always understood a "Cultural Mormon" to be someone who appreciates the finer things in Mormon culture. I, for one, have a fine appreciation for Saturday's Warrior, early Michael McLean (before he sold out), the less-edgy works of Janice Kapp Perry, and anything by Del Parson or Greg Olsen, so I would count myself among the "Cultural Mormons".Does going to a poetry reading by Carol Lynn Pearson count?
Recommended Posts