Hemet Stake Young Men: What Makes You Beautiful

I am wondering what is with the current fashion in woman's foot ware ? Are not those 6 in. high stiletto heels uncomfortable ? A lot of the young ladies in my stake have taken up the fashion. In my youth, those were called hoo*** heels. Now don't get me wrong. I find the modest running shoes of the FLDS ladies equally off-putting ,but is there not some happy medium?

I wish shoe stores were required to put up pictures of women's feet after decades of wearing certain styles of shoes.

http://www.riverside...les/WO00114.cfm

Look up hammertoes and then think "yes, this is exactly how I want my feet to look like in 50 years". I know some very unhappy women having to have surgery due to poor shoe choice. My shoes may never have looked that sexy, but my feet look great.

Edited by calmoriah

Radio talk show host Michael Medved brought up a study that was recently done in, I think, France, where 14 very highly attractive young women (chosen from a pool of 40 or 50 potential candidates) tested the results of having a lower-back tattoo (sometimes called a "tramp stamp"). If you don't know what that is, go HERE. The young women in question did not have the tattoo, but simulated having one by using a temporary tattoo. They were sent to two completely different beaches wearing bikinis, one while wearing the tattoo and the other without.

The results were interesting. The 14 young women received a total of 400 interactions with young males on both beaches. While wearing the tattoos, a significant number of the intereractions included invitations that clearly supposed that sexual activity would be forthcoming. While not wearing the tattoo, this occurred far less frequently, and the interactions included more invitations to activities involving "getting to know you." My phrase.

Now, this particular experiment was clearly not done amongst a solely LDS crowd, but it says something. Give a man a visible indication that is associated with wholesomeness, as opposed to making him think you're a woman of loose morals, and he is going to get the idea that you might be someone to take home to meet his parents. Instead of someone who's going to permit liberties to be taken.

I didn't make this up. This is how the mind of male humans work. You might not LIKE that guys are visual animals and so forth, but it's nature. As for myself, I tend to think that a woman who shows off a lower-back tattoo is not someone I would consider for a possible wife. If she happened to get one, but later came to her senses and does not show it off, then this will not be apparent to me until things get much farther along, and by then I will have formed my impression of her from perhaps more important data, like who she is inside. And by then the tattoo would not matter, and in fact I might even think it's cute!

Same applies to just general modesty in dress.

I am wondering what is with the current fashion in woman's foot ware ? Are not those 6 in. high stiletto heels uncomfortable ? A lot of the young ladies in my stake have taken up the fashion. In my youth, those were called hoo*** heels. Now don't get me wrong. I find the modest running shoes of the FLDS ladies equally off-putting ,but is there not some happy medium?

I know! There is really nothing cute about a 14 year old beautiful YW in 6 in. platform heels. They can't walk in them, and they look like they are playing dress up. But I think this trend is just one of those fashion choices we'll laugh at later. I don't see shoes as a modest/immodest issue, though I will acknowledge that when you combine those kind of shoes with an immodestly short and tight skirt, it makes the whole look so much worse.

Radio talk show host Michael Medved brought up a study that was recently done in, I think, France, where 14 very highly attractive young women (chosen from a pool of 40 or 50 potential candidates) tested the results of having a lower-back tattoo (sometimes called a "tramp stamp"). If you don't know what that is, go HERE. The young women in question did not have the tattoo, but simulated having one by using a temporary tattoo. They were sent to two completely different beaches wearing bikinis, one while wearing the tattoo and the other without.

The results were interesting. The 14 young women received a total of 400 interactions with young males on both beaches. While wearing the tattoos, a significant number of the intereractions included invitations that clearly supposed that sexual activity would be forthcoming. While not wearing the tattoo, this occurred far less frequently, and the interactions included more invitations to activities involving "getting to know you." My phrase.

Now, this particular experiment was clearly not done amongst a solely LDS crowd, but it says something. Give a man a visible indication that is associated with wholesomeness, as opposed to making him think you're a woman of loose morals, and he is going to get the idea that you might be someone to take home to meet his parents. Instead of someone who's going to permit liberties to be taken.

I didn't make this up. This is how the mind of male humans work. You might not LIKE that guys are visual animals and so forth, but it's nature. As for myself, I tend to think that a woman who shows off a lower-back tattoo is not someone I would consider for a possible wife. If she happened to get one, but later came to her senses and does not show it off, then this will not be apparent to me until things get much farther along, and by then I will have formed my impression of her from perhaps more important data, like who she is inside. And by then the tattoo would not matter, and in fact I might even think it's cute!

Same applies to just general modesty in dress.

Speaking for myself, it's really not an issue at all of not liking that men are visual creatures. I'm not denying it and I don't know that anyone else on this thread has either. We all have parts of our biology that can easily become weaknesses and we all have to accept that. I just don't believe that men being visual is a good excuse for putting part of the responsibility of keeping their thoughts clean on the women around them. There are natural negative consequences to a woman who puts herself in the position of being a sexual object to a man (and your example clearly and wonderfully illustrates that) and she is responsible for those. But I don't believe any of those consequences are that some or all of the man sins in regards to her appearance are her fault. :)

Speaking for myself, it's really not an issue at all of not liking that men are visual creatures. I'm not denying it and I don't know that anyone else on this thread has either. We all have parts of our biology that can easily become weaknesses and we all have to accept that. I just don't believe that men being visual is a good excuse for putting part of the responsibility of keeping their thoughts clean on the women around them. There are natural negative consequences to a woman who puts herself in the position of being a sexual object to a man (and your example clearly and wonderfully illustrates that) and she is responsible for those. But I don't believe any of those consequences are that some or all of the man sins in regards to her appearance are her fault. :)

I saw this on FB, where I see most everything. ( The church is right, FB is a great tool! ;) )

I like that it puts a different light on the subject. Hopefully the men will get a clue.

“Gentlemen. This is what rape culture is like: Imagine you have a Rolex watch. Nice fancy Rolex, you bought it because you like the way it looks and you wanted to treat yourself. And then you get beaten and mugged and your Rolex is stolen. ...So you go to the police. Only, instead of investigating the crime, the police want to know why you were wearing a Rolex instead of a regular watch. Have you ever given a Rolex to anyone else? Is it possible you wanted to be mugged? Why didn't you wear long sleeves to cover up the Rolex if you didn't want to be mugged? And then after that, everywhere you go, there are constant jokes about stealing your Rolex. People you don’t even know whistle at your Rolex and make jokes about cutting your hand off to get it. The media doesn't help either; it portrays people who wear Rolex's as flamboyant donkeys who secretly just want someone to come along and take that Rolex off their hands. When darn, all you wanted was to wear a nice watch without getting harassed for it. When you complain that you are starting to feel unsafe, people laugh you off and say that you are too uptight. Never mind you got violently attacked for the crime of wearing a friggin time piece. Imagining all that? It stinks, doesn't it.Now imagine you could never take the Rolex off.”

Note: I didn't want to out myself with the FB page so I c/p the wording. And found the pic that went with the saying, a man wearing a Rolex watch, but the board won't let me post the pic for some reason, darn. :sad: Also, I clean up the language a bit.

Edited by Tacenda

I just cannot convince you that nobody is saying that it is all the women's responsibility. I am not saying it. The Hemet Stake young men are not saying it. I haven't heard anyone here in this thread saying it. Nobody is saying it. Except you bluebell!!! Will please get off your hobby horse -- I love you dearly despite that I have never met you and don't have the vaguest idea of what you look like, where you live, or anything at all like that, but you are starting to drive me nuts about this. I thought that was my wife's responsibility, to drive me around the bend, but now you're taking over the wheel. Please stop it. Please.

I saw this on FB, where I see most everything. ( The church is right, FB is a great tool! ;) )

I like that it puts a different light on the subject. Hopefully the men will get a clue.

“Gentlemen. This is what rape culture is like: Imagine you have a Rolex watch. Nice fancy Rolex, you bought it because you like the way it looks and you wanted to treat yourself. And then you get beaten and mugged and your Rolex is stolen. ...So you go to the police. Only, instead of investigating the crime, the police want to know why you were wearing a Rolex instead of a regular watch. Have you ever given a Rolex to anyone else? Is it possible you wanted to be mugged? Why didn't you wear long sleeves to cover up the Rolex if you didn't want to be mugged? And then after that, everywhere you go, there are constant jokes about stealing your Rolex. People you don’t even know whistle at your Rolex and make jokes about cutting your hand off to get it. The media doesn't help either; it portrays people who wear Rolex's as flamboyant donkeys who secretly just want someone to come along and take that Rolex off their hands. When darn, all you wanted was to wear a nice watch without getting harassed for it. When you complain that you are starting to feel unsafe, people laugh you off and say that you are too uptight. Never mind you got violently attacked for the crime of wearing a friggin time piece. Imagining all that? It stinks, doesn't it.Now imagine you could never take the Rolex off.”

Note: I didn't want to out myself with the FB page so I c/p the wording. And found the pic that went with the saying, a man wearing a Rolex watch, but the board won't let me post the pic for some reason, darn. :sad: Also, I clean up the language a bit.

Dangit, Tacenda, first bluebell and now you, too.

Will you for sanity's sake stop it with the straw men!?!? Nobody is saying that women only have themselves to blame if they get raped! I haven't said it, the Hemet Stake young men haven't said it, and yet you still persist in bringing up red herrings like this.

Stop. No more! Nobody said your dress hem is too high up! Nobody here has commented on your cleavage and why do you let it all hang out like that! Nobody here knows what you look like in a bikini, and nobody even knows if you've ever worn a bikini, and probably nobody here even cares about it. I know I certainly don't. So please stop it!

Grrrrrrr.

Edited by Stargazer

Dangit, Tacenda, first bluebell and now you, too.

Will you for sanity's sake stop it with the straw men!?!? Nobody is saying that women only have themselves to blame if they get raped! I haven't said it, the Hemet Stake young men haven't said it, and yet you still persist in bringing up red herrings like this.

Stop. No more! Nobody said your dress hem is too high up! Nobody here has commented on your cleavage and why do you let it all hang out like that! Nobody here knows what you look like in a bikini, and nobody even knows if you've ever worn a bikini, and probably nobody here even cares about it. I know I certainly don't. So please stop it!

Grrrrrrr.

But the big question is how you look in a speedo.

But the big question is how you look in a speedo.

Were I to do that, the Universe itself would implode. Be glad that will never happen. The speedo, I mean.

The Universe might implode over something else, you never know.

Edited by Stargazer

I just cannot convince you that nobody is saying that it is all the women's responsibility. I am not saying it. The Hemet Stake young men are not saying it. I haven't heard anyone here in this thread saying it. Nobody is saying it. Except you bluebell!!! Will please get off your hobby horse -- I love you dearly despite that I have never met you and don't have the vaguest idea of what you look like, where you live, or anything at all like that, but you are starting to drive me nuts about this. I thought that was my wife's responsibility, to drive me around the bend, but now you're taking over the wheel. Please stop it. Please.

I agree that no one is saying that it is 'all the women's responsibility'. I'm not even saying it. ;)