Question To F.A.I.R. Members About Participation At F.A.I.R.

DBMormon

I am interested in participating at F.A.I.R.

You have to fill an application out and pay a $25.00 donation.

My questions are as follows

- Will I be black-ball'd because I am antagonistic at times when I try to get my own questions answered?

- Does FAIR have a need for more members to answer "ask the apologist" questions?

- Am I needed in this way or am I unwanted?

I would hate to fill out the app and told thanks but no thanks without at least getting an idea beforehand of how my past will affect their desire for my help?

I am hoping to get someone higher up or with a little pull to tell me straight up whether I can be of help!

Edited by DBMormon

This could be a problem as the list is not to be used for debate purposes.

I have always been kind, respectful and listened to those who have questions and struggle, though I have sometimes asked questions with a tone in order to put others on the defensive and get their best answers. I am essentially worried if my past behavior on this discussion board and my own past struggle will prevent me from being accepted at Fair?

I also am curious if they have a need for more members? or are over saturated

though I have sometimes asked questions with a tone in order to put others on the defensive and get their best answers.

This type of behaviour would be seen as inappropriate for the list. The idea is that every question by list member or not is sincere and gets our best answers, there is no need to play mind games. If you can't trust people to do that and not be antagonistic, then probably it would be best for you not to join the list.

What you might consider if you are willing to put aside the games is writing Scott Gordon, giving him a link to your profile with some of your posts as well as links to your podcasts or anything else you've done, explain your position and see what his opinion is.

Your past struggle wouldn't be an issue.

Edited by calmoriah

I haven't been actively involved with the FAIR list for quite awhile, but my guess would be that, as with most any organization, the greater the apprehension and drama involved in filling out a simple application, the less likely it will be a good fit for either party.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

I haven't been actively involved with the FAIR list for quite awhile, but my guess would be that, as with most any organization, the greater the apprehension and drama involved in filling out a simple application, the less likely it will be a good fit for either party.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

I'd say that is probably a good guess.

I think I would be a great fit, just wonder if my personal hissy fit faith crisis 9 months ago hurts my chances?

Edited by DBMormon

Having a past faith crisis does not disqualify one from being a member of FAIR. Some members of FAIR have gone through faith a crisis at some point in their lives as well. The most important thing to remember when responding to people submitting AtA questions is to treat every one of them as if they are sincere, even if you suspect that they may be trolling the list. Better to grant them the benefit of the doubt than offend someone who was asking a sincere question. It takes some discipline to do so, and the best thing to do is observe others answering the questions for a while.

WW

Having a past faith crisis does not disqualify one from being a member of FAIR. Some members of FAIR have gone through faith a crisis at some point in their lives as well. The most important thing to remember when responding to people submitting AtA questions is to treat every one of them as if they are sincere, even if you suspect that they may be trolling the list. Better to grant them the benefit of the doubt than offend someone who was asking a sincere question. It takes some discipline to do so, and the best thing to do is observe others answering the questions for a while.

WW

that's never been a problem. always tried to be empathetic and understanding of those struggling. been there myself obviously.

i did write scott gordon by the way and await his reply.

curious if they have plenty of help or are in need of more personnel?

why does it seem to be insinuated I would be unhelpful? Has anyone here ever heard me take up arms against one struggling with their testimony? I haven't done that on my podcast either? Nor on staylds.com?

If you don't mind would you mind pointing out where I acted inappropriately when someone in faith crisis asked for help?

My concern has not been whether I would be helpful or not but rather whether some might hold a grudge against me for my previous attitude during my own personal faith crisis.

Edited by DBMormon

why does everyone insinuate I would be unhelpful.

I haven't seen that insinuation in "everyone's" posts. My and Wiki's comments at the very least were simply describing the state of the elist and how things are done...answering your questions IOW. Honestly, your own insecurity/defensiveness about your possible reception is making me become uncomfortable. It is likely a matter of interpretation, but it is creating a feeling in me along the lines of "he doeth protest too much". Maybe if you would just relax a bit?
rather whether some might hold a grudge against me for my previous attitude during my own personal faith crisis.

I can't think of any FAIR member who would. The FAIR elist is not like this message board. You would not be particularly unusual in that regard for one thing. There are many who have taken up apologetics with FAIR out of a desire to help others through their faith crisis because of a personal experience, either their own faith crisis or that of a loved one. Many avoid the message board because they don't think the contention/debate is of much value among other things.

PS: I am not one of those who makes a decision about who joins and who doesn't so if it is just me being oversensitive to you, don't worry about it. I have passed on some links to your posts to help those who do decide as it helps to provide some background. If you have a favourite thread(s), feel free to point them out as well.

Edited by calmoriah

why does everyone insinuate I would be unhelpful. Has anyone here ever heard me take up arms against one struggling with their testimony? Have I done that on my podcast? Have I done that on staylds.com?

Would someone mind pointing out where I acted inappropriately when someone in faith crisis asked for help?

My concern has not been whether I would be helpful or not but rather whether some might hold a grudge against me for my previous attitude during my own personal faith crisis.

Take this for what it's worth. I'm not trying to be judgemental. I don't know you, haven't read everything you've ever posted, and am not afiliated with the FAIR list.

But, sometimes you get defensive when people disagree with you or say something you don't like. I can't tell the tone you posted this post in, but to me it reads as very defensive.

Multiple people have already told you that your past crisis of faith wouldn't be an issue, so i'm not sure why you would still be concerned about it at this point in the conversation. Also, you HAVE asked whether or not FAIR needs help, so it's not outlandish for a poster to assume you are concerned with that (otherwise, why keep asking about it?).

If defensiveness is a weakness that you have, you might want to ask yourself how well you will be able to curb it when answering questions for people who won't always agree with or like your answers. That could be an issue where you wouldn't be much help (since you asked).

Edited by bluebell

If defensiveness is a weakness that you have, you might want to ask yourself how well you will be able to curb it when answering questions for people who won't always agree with or like your answers. That could be an issue where you wouldn't be much help (since you asked).

The elist is not just about dealing with those in faith crisis, there is a huge amount of discussion among the list members, both for formulating answers for outsiders asking questions and among the 'insiders' asking their own questions seeking information or opinions of other list members. It is not for doctrinal debate though, discussion is meant to be productive and focused...one should look on it as 'work' rather than entertainment, I also look on it as education. One had to be just as controlled with the fellow list members as with the questioners; otherwise it would create a nonproductive list environment. If one treats it like a message board, one will be warned and then removed....just explaining so no one gets the wrong idea about it, not implying anyone is likely to be one who is kicked off.

Also, answering questions from those in a faith crisis or a relative in a faith crisis is only part of the ask apologist type of question. We also get a large number of questions about where quotes are from or if such and such is accurate history or if we know where someone can get a copy of a certain document or asking for help with an apologetic approach...helping people with research IOW. And of course among our favourite emails are those from antimormons and others asking us how we can possibly believe in these fairy tales. :)

Edited by calmoriah

I suspect that they can alway use help,they just don't need help that is not helpful.

I'm not sure who "blackstrap" is or if s/he is on the list, but to anyone who understands the environment of the FAIR list knows this is apt remark, and one that need not be taken defensively. We are in desperate need of help, but far too many of our "helpers" are not helpful. They seem to enjoy chatting and bouncing ideas off each other, which is all fine and good (I do my share of this), and they may answer an AtA here or there, but when it comes to doing real knitty-gritty work, they are nowhere to be found. I can understand this for the first year or so - it is hard to know how to help, to commit a lot of time, etc. But after being on the list for awhile, I think everyone should be working on some sort of project that helps improve FAIR. I have personally started two related projects, one at the beginning of this year and one more recently. The one started about 12 months ago is pretty much dead because it was basically the fruit of just two - yes, two - volunteers, and we couldn't keep up with it. The more recent project is also losing some steam, at least on my part, because once again it is just me and one other person doing all the work. Despite our pleadings, no one else on the list seems to want to get involved. Now I know a lot of them are already involved in a lot of stuff for FAIR or other apologetic related things, and I don't blame them for not helping (I'm certainly not directing this at calmoriah or Wiki Wonka, both of whom I know are doing a lot more than I am for FAIR), but there are others who are just there enjoying the chatter and not really doing much else.

So do we need help? Yes, lots of it. But we need help that will be helpful. You can ask yourself if that is you or not.

Where we need the most help right now is in the following areas:

1. We need major assistance with creating the FAIR Study Aids: FAIR Study Aids/Book of Mormon Resources by chapter and verse . Looking at the Google Analytics data, these pages are becoming some of the most popular pages on the Wiki. We need a lot of help to continue creating these.

2. I am currently finishing up entering all issues of the Elder's Journal in the FAIR Wiki, but we still need to enter in most of the Times and Seasons. We haven't even started on the Millennial Star yet. There's a big project for anyone who is so inclined. We already have the complete Evening and Morning Star, Latter Day Saint Messenger and Advocate and Journal of Discourses (Yes, that's right - the complete JoD can be searched from within the FAIR Wiki).

3. We also have some new projects in the planning stage that will require some work. As the details of these projects are formed, I'll be asking for help to complete certain tasks.

WW

I think you'd be great on Fair DB! I remember my first time and several times after that, I corresponded with Greg Smith. He did a great job, but much of his answers felt so over my head. I think you would be great because I've listened to some of your podcasts and they seem to speak to me and are down to earth especially for those of us that aren't scholars of the faith, yet. :)

As far I understand, you don't have to be a FAIR elist member to be involved in many of the projects. Wiki or Scott can correct me if I am wrong.

Even just reading over the wide wiki pages and catching typos or making suggestions for what can be added or improved tone would be helpful and you can just send that info into Wiki Wonka.

As far I understand, you don't have to be a FAIR elist member to be involved in many of the projects. Wiki or Scott can correct me if I am wrong.

Even just reading over the wide wiki pages and catching typos or making suggestions for what can be added or improved tone would be helpful and you can just send that info into Wiki Wonka.

While admittedly minor help, I can provide FAIR with references to improve the article on polytheism. While it is correct on the prevailing Jewish atittude to Trinitarian claims of monotheism, the article does lack solid references. I have those, even shared a little here, and I have been meaning to post them on my blog for some time. This article, to me at least, is an example of a good resource that can be made better, without having to start from scratch.

http://en.fairmormon.org/Mormonism_and_the_nature_of_God/Polytheism

Tacenda, Thank You.

ALSO TO OTHERS FROM FAIR - I have not yet received an answer back from Scott, nor any others from FAIR. I am curious to hear from someone officially.

Edited by DBMormon

Tacenda, Thank You.

ALSO TO OTHERS FROM FAIR - I have not yet received an answer back from Scott, nor any others from FAIR. I am curious to hear from someone officially.

Sometimes it takes time, especially if someone is traveling. Things also sometimes fall through the cracks as there is no assistant running after them to help them keep track of all the details they must juggle in their spare time. Sometimes it is me not checking my email daily and missing an approved application (I am the "membership clerk" that puts you on the list after the approval process.) If you don't hear from anyone a week after you wrote, write a reminder. Edited by calmoriah

I had not filled an application yet. I essentially sent my questions on whether it is worth my time in a message to him and generally asked all apologists on Fair if there was a need. I sent Scott my webpage, personal info, brief synopsis of my story. Had not heard back. I will wait a few more days