Let'S Tell Ghost Stories

boblloyd91

Since it is October, I think it would be interesting to get a thread on (true) ghost stories going. I will begin with one, and hopefully more folks will want to join in.

I think I have mentioned this once or twice before, but when I was between the ages of 10-11 I was living at a house in Sandy, Utah. I had lived in this house for several years, and hadn't noticed anything strange. At the aforementioned age, I would hear knocking at my door. I would always open the door and find no one there. At first, I assumed it was just younger siblings being annoying. At a certain point though, I started to doubt that, because I wouldn't hear anyone run away from the door, and also this happened several times when I was home alone. I started to get kind of freaked out. This didn't happen a whole lot, maybe a few times a month, but I know I hated it. I didn't tell anyone else about this, because I didn't want to sound crazy. We eventually moved out of the house (not due to paranormal activity, just were able to afford a nicer house). I remember sitting in my room one day and hearing a knock at the door. I don't know why but I said "Leave me alone, I don't want you bothering me anymore" again I heard no one approaching the door or leave, and interestingly it hasn't happened since.

So anyways that is my first story, I know it isn't too terribly exciting, but I do have more. If anyone has any good true stories from when they were kids, going to college, missions etc. I would love to hear them. I hope this will be a thread that stays up all through October!

My mom told me a story of when she was a young adult, she and some friends actually made a table rise without anyone touching it. I think they called in some spirits. And she wouldn't lie, if you knew her you would believe it, this has always stuck with me. Also, I remember playing this game with neighbor kids called "Light as a feather" where someone would lie down and we would kneel around them and repeat certain words like ...there's been an accident, call an ambulance etc. and then after we finished we would be able to lift the person with two fingers and carry them around the neighborhood. Anyone ever play that game also? Of course we also played kick-the-can and other fun games too. :lol:

Edited by Tacenda

I remember playing with an ouija board when I was younger at a party. It was pretty freaky. I don't remember what type of spirit we attempted to call up. I do remember the questions we asked were answered correctly, but that can be explained by one of the other kids pushing the pointer.

I am not saying that the stuff that happened couldn't have been fake, but the TV started going on and off, the microwave in the kitchen started up and then would ding and repeat and the toliet was flushing. There were about 5 of us girls in the house, the parents had left and we were all in the bedroom with the board. It was a small house so we could see into the living room and bathroom to where the TV and toliet were, but not into the kitchen unless we left the bedroom. I don't remember if the TV was the remote kind (it was during the period where some people had remotes and some still had to get up and go to the TV and push the button). Anyway that was my last experience with that board. I remember we were all very afraid even after the adults came back and that all night it seemed we were hyper sensitive to the noises and things that kept happening in the house.

Since it is October, I think it would be interesting to get a thread on (true) ghost stories going. I will begin with one, and hopefully more folks will want to join in.

I don't know why but I said "Leave me alone, I don't want you bothering me anymore" again I heard no one approaching the door or leave, and interestingly it hasn't happened since.

Now that is fascinating. I watch lots of Ghost Story shows on TV. I like Ghost Hunters and Ghost Adventures. It is interesting, on Ghost Hunters they have told numerous poeple that if you just tell the spirit or ghost to leave you alone that that often times works.

I personally have never had any ghost stories happen to me. My wife and I want to get into ghost hunting. I think a good place to start would be the Tooele County mental health hospital. I cant remember if that is what it is called but there is a really haunted facility out in Tooele that Ghost Adventures covered and they caught awesome stuff.

GG share your stories. I am always fascinated by them.,

Edited by Mola Ram Suda Ram

Okay folks let's keep this going. Garden Girl aren't you from the UK? If you are there are all kinds of ghosts there. Anyways I have kind of a funny one that my Uncle told us and I believe it.

My great grandparents lived in Garland, Utah, by an old sugar factory. I guess their youngest son (my great uncle, not the same uncle who told this story) played with a ouija board with some friends and some spooky things happened (another story for another time). So anyways, for a while the basement was kind of a creepy place awhile. Anyways my Uncle (mom's sister) would be tended by my great grandparents while my grandparents were teaching at school. One day he was sitting up at the counter eating breakfast (he was 7 at the time I think) and noticed that some measuring spoons that had been hanging up had suddenly moved, like someone had taken their hand and moved it down the line of spoons. My great grandmother saw this, and instead of expressing shock simply rolled her eyes and said "George that damn ghost is back" I guess my great grandpa was shaving and immediately came out of the bathroom with his shaving cream still on his face saying "go on get out" "get out of here" and other various things one would usually say to a dog or some other annoying pet that had snuck into one's house"

I find it fascinating that they weren't the least bit scared of paranormal activity and saw ti more as a rare nuisance than an attack by forces from the netherworld. Interestingly, I had people in the family tell me that my grandparents, basement used to be really creepy but as the years went by it became less so. Maybe because they weren't kids anymore and weren't as easily frightened, or maybe somehow the evil influence left. Of course my uncle may have made up this story, though i highly doubt it based on knowing my uncle. Let's get some more stories!

My wife and I want to get into ghost hunting.

GG share your stories. I am always fascinated by them.,

First Mola... I hope you and your wife will reconsider the ghost hunting thing... There's really a lot more to it than we realize. I'd only do it in a professional type of research, etc.

And second, okay, I'll share a story I told before but there's a lot of new people so here goes...

My cousin and I were both freshmen at BYU Provo (1959). I lived in Knight Magnum Hall right in the center of campus, and she lived in the newly constructed Helaman Halls waaayyy up to the northern campus area (in 1959 only the "lower" part of the campus was there.) Smith Field House was where we held devotionals, games, etc.

Anyway, sometimes after class I'd hike on up to Helaman and visit her. This one day she and her roommate had this funny guilty air about them and I asked what was going on... they made me promise not to tell, and then they took out this Ouija board they had been playing with for several days. They told me they had contacted a spirit... a man who had been in his 50's. They continued to try and ask him questions... it's been so many years ago I can't remember except that it involved a child. "He" became agitated and the marker flew across the room. So we left to go eat. Afterwards I went on back to my dorm.

The next time I was up to their room I inquired about the board and asked if we could play with it because I was fascinated... My cousin told me they got rid of it and wouldn't ever touch one again... apparently one night they had turned in and were each in their beds when both became aware of a darkness that filled the room... there was a natural light from the campus lights coming through their open blinds... suddenly it got darker with a murkiness. My cousin asked... can you see that? Her roomie said yes... so they both knelt down together and began to pray. The room became darker... they prayed more fervently... it took almost an hour of constant prayer until finally the darkness started disapating and the room became normal. I don't know what they did with the board, but they never touched one again and never dabbled with such things. I could see their fear as they related this to me, and I have no doubt that it is a credible account of an experience they had.

And now one that happened to me... One summer weekday morning when I was about 9 - 10 years old, I was in the house alone as my sister had gone downtown (small town). I was playing and as the morning went on I forgot that my sis had left. And I called out her name and asked her something... no answer...not remembering she was gone I called out again and then again when I heard her voice say (very plainly)... Yes?... and so I asked my question again... then suddenly as I was speaking it dawned on me that she was gone. Thinking she might have come home I ran from room to room.. I looked in closets thinking she might be playing a joke on me... The house was empty... I was afraid so I ran outside and sat on the porch waiting for her. Pretty soon here she came, walking up our street. I didn't tell her what had happened... but to this day I wonder... who answered me when I called to her???

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

First Mola... I hope you and your wife will reconsider the ghost hunting thing... There's really a lot more to it than we realize. I'd only do it in a professional type of research, etc.

And second, okay, I'll share a story I told before but there's a lot of new people so here goes...

My cousin and I were both freshmen at BYU Provo (1959). I lived in Knight Magnum Hall right in the center of campus, and she lived in the newly constructed Helaman Halls waaayyy up to the northern campus area (in 1959 only the "lower" part of the campus was there.) Smith Field House was where we held devotionals, games, etc.

Anyway, sometimes after class I'd hike on up to Helaman and visit her. This one day she and her roommate had this funny guilty air about them and I asked what was going on... they made me promise not to tell, and then they took out this Ouija board they had been playing with for several days. They told me they had contacted a spirit... a man who had been in his 50's. They continued to try and ask him questions... it's been so many years ago I can't remember except that it involved a child. "He" became agitated and the marker flew across the room. So we left to go eat. Afterwards I went on back to my dorm.

The next time I was up to their room I inquired about the board and asked if we could play with it because I was fascinated... My cousin told me they got rid of it and wouldn't ever touch one again... apparently one night they had turned in and were each in their beds when both became aware of a darkness that filled the room... there was a natural light from the campus lights coming through their open blinds... suddenly it got darker with a murkiness. My cousin asked... can you see that? Her roomie said yes... so they both knelt down together and began to pray. The room became darker... they prayed more fervently... it took almost an hour of constant prayer until finally the darkness started disapating and the room became normal. I don't know what they did with the board, but they never touched one again and never dabbled with such things. I could see their fear as they related this to me, and I have no doubt that it is a credible account of an experience they had.

And now one that happened to me... One summer weekday morning when I was about 9 - 10 years old, I was in the house alone as my sister had gone downtown (small town). I was playing and as the morning went on I forgot that my sis had left. And I called out her name and asked her something... no answer...not remembering she was gone I called out again and then again when I heard her voice say (very plainly)... Yes?... and so I asked my question again... then suddenly as I was speaking it dawned on me that she was gone. Thinking she might have come home I ran from room to room.. I looked in closets thinking she might be playing a joke on me... The house was empty... I was afraid so I ran outside and sat on the porch waiting for her. Pretty soon here she came, walking up our street. I didn't tell her what had happened... but to this day I wonder... who answered me when I called to her???

GG

I've said this before on the board. Hearing ghost stories helps me. In an odd sort of way. When one struggles with belief in God and an afterlife, it's comforting to know there are spirits.

I've said this before on the board. Hearing ghost stories helps me. In an odd sort of way. When one struggles with belief in God and an afterlife, it's comforting to know there are spirits.

Tacenda...

I'd like to recommend a book to you by Brent and Wendy Top titled: "Beyond Death's Door: Underrstanding Near-Death Experiences in Light of the Restored Gospel."

Brent Top was at the time they wrote this the assoc dean of Religious Education and assoc prof of Church History and Doctrine at BYU... his wife Wendy is also an author.

Anyway, this is important for you, they did years of indepth research on NDE's, particularly as experienced by NON-LDS to see what similarities there might be in relation to our revealed truth. In their words: "We were amazed at the similarities and consistencies between near-death accounts and the doctrines of the restored gospel." A review stated they offer "comforting insights into death and the spirit world."

I loved reading the case studies... and seeing how universally similar many aspects were in the various experiences... for instance, Heavenly Music... "Like everything else in these realms, it far surpasses any earthly concept of music. One subject reported: "And I could hear beautiful music; I can't tell you what kind, because I never heard anything like it before... it sounds... I could describe it as a combination of vibrations, many vibrations... it made me feel so good."

Another subject: "My ears were filled with a music so beautiful no composer could ever duplicate it... It was soothing, gentle, and warm, and seemed to come from a source deep within me..."

And another: "There were no sounds of any earthly thing. Only the sounds of serenity, of a strange music like I have never heard. A soothing symphony of indescrible beauty blended with the light I was approaching."

In addition to the heavenly music, subjects all described the "colors"... as an artist, this interested me greatly...

From one subject: "I was in a garden. All the colors were intense. The grass was a deep vibrant green, flowers were radiant reds, yellows, and blues, and birds of all beauty fluttered in the bushes. Everything was lit by a shadowless brilliance that was all-pervading.

And another account: "I was in a field... and it had high golden grass that was very soft, so bright... The grass swayed. It was very peaceful, very quiet. The grass was so outstandingly beautiful that I will never forget it."

In addition to these descriptions of what they saw and heard or felt, they had impressions of the absence of the measure of "time" and space as we know it on earth." The feeling was being clearly not at home in time... because we belong to eternity. Almost without exception, subjects reported a timelessness in their experience, having no concept if it lasted seconds, minutes, hours...

Well, Tacenda, you can see that this book would be of great interest and comfort to you... not only as in these descriptions above, but in how there was a relationship to the gospel principles. Anyway, if you wonder about God and an afterlife, please do find this book... for above all, it talks about the love... universal love... felt throughout the experiences.

GG

Tacenda...

I'd like to recommend a book to you by Brent and Wendy Top titled: "Beyond Death's Door: Underrstanding Near-Death Experiences in Light of the Restored Gospel."

Brent Top was at the time they wrote this the assoc dean of Religious Education and assoc prof of Church History and Doctrine at BYU... his wife Wendy is also an author.

Anyway, this is important for you, they did years of indepth research on NDE's, particularly as experienced by NON-LDS to see what similarities there might be in relation to our revealed truth. In their words: "We were amazed at the similarities and consistencies between near-death accounts and the doctrines of the restored gospel." A review stated they offer "comforting insights into death and the spirit world."

I loved reading the case studies... and seeing how universally similar many aspects were in the various experiences... for instance, Heavenly Music... "Like everything else in these realms, it far surpasses any earthly concept of music. One subject reported: "And I could hear beautiful music; I can't tell you what kind, because I never heard anything like it before... it sounds... I could describe it as a combination of vibrations, many vibrations... it made me feel so good."

Another subject: "My ears were filled with a music so beautiful no composer could ever duplicate it... It was soothing, gentle, and warm, and seemed to come from a source deep within me..."

And another: "There were no sounds of any earthly thing. Only the sounds of serenity, of a strange music like I have never heard. A soothing symphony of indescrible beauty blended with the light I was approaching."

In addition to the heavenly music, subjects all described the "colors"... as an artist, this interested me greatly...

From one subject: "I was in a garden. All the colors were intense. The grass was a deep vibrant green, flowers were radiant reds, yellows, and blues, and birds of all beauty fluttered in the bushes. Everything was lit by a shadowless brilliance that was all-pervading.

And another account: "I was in a field... and it had high golden grass that was very soft, so bright... The grass swayed. It was very peaceful, very quiet. The grass was so outstandingly beautiful that I will never forget it."

In addition to these descriptions of what they saw and heard or felt, they had impressions of the absence of the measure of "time" and space as we know it on earth." The feeling was being clearly not at home in time... because we belong to eternity. Almost without exception, subjects reported a timelessness in their experience, having no concept if it lasted seconds, minutes, hours...

Well, Tacenda, you can see that this book would be of great interest and comfort to you... not only as in these descriptions above, but in how there was a relationship to the gospel principles. Anyway, if you wonder about God and an afterlife, please do find this book... for above all it talks about the love... universal love... felt throughout the experiences.

GG

I believe I've read that book. After my parents passed away within two months of each other I checked out a bunch of NDE books. They gave me alot of solace but then the naysayers out there that don't believe in them don't help! My favorite one is where they say that everyone ends up with their loved ones and feeling right at home with their beliefs in tact. So several different faith groups. This sounded like it could be like the terrestial world. I think I should look that book up since it's been a few years, thanks for the suggestion GG! Edited by Tacenda

Okay, every time I'm reading the various posts and see this one about Ghost Stories I think to myself, I should tell again (I've told it once before on this board) one that to me is profound. I know that this is a legitimate experience because the man involved became a very dear friend of mine and I know he would never tell such a story if it didn't really happen... Well, here goes...

My friend (I will call him "Jim"), his wife, and their cat "Fang" had moved into a fairly new townhouse... It was a lovely 2-story place with hardwood floors, and all the amenities.

One night after they had turned in, including the cat sleeping on the bed... Jim awoke to the sound of footsteps downstairs, He reached over and got his gun out of the nightstand... the footsteps continued and he could hear them on the stairway leading upstairs to where they were. He woke his wife and they listened... finally he pulled her down beside him and they crouched behind the bed, him with his arms outstretched, the gun extended toward the doorway. The natural light from the large windows gave some illumination to the room They heard the footsteps get closer, coming down the hall, and finally they stopped at the doorway. Fangy the cat had also awakened and was standing on the bottom of the bed stiff and alert, looking at the doorway. There was no one in the doorway... but Fangy stayed alert for several minutes. Jim and his wife just waited, still crouching. Finally, Fang relaxed and returned to her place on the pillows. No other sounds were heard. Jim and his wife got up and turned on all the lights and searched the entire area. All doors and windows were locked. Finally, they returned to bed.

A couple of months passed and they had not had any more occurences until one night... again, the footsteps began downstairs, came up the stairway, coming down the hall toward the bedroom. This time Jim sat on the foot of the bed, his hands... holding the gun... folded in his lap, waiting. Finally the steps stopped once again in the doorway. This time Fang, who had been again standing at the foot of the bed, jumped down and went to the doorway, looked upward, and then began weaving back and forth the way cats do when rubbing against a person's legs. Finally she stopped, started walking toward the bed, paused, looked over her shoulder toward the doorway and then jumped up on the bed again, returning to her place. Once again Jim and his wife searched the house... nothing was out of the ordinary.

They did not have any more occurences because circumstances changed and they moved to a different location. Of course when I became acquainted with Jim he was no longer married... anyway, he told me about this experience and how it had affected both he and his wife... and Jim was also affected by the behavior of the cat. Particularly how Fang had jumped down and gone to the doorway. Being the cat person I am I told Jim that even though they hadn't had any more occurences that involved them, obviously when they were at work Fang had become comfortable enough that when they had the second experience Fang felt at ease to jump down and go to the doorway. When I told Jim that he got this startled look and said he hadn't thought of that... I told him that no cat would jump down and behave as Fangy did unless she was perfectly comfortable with... whatever... That really got him... particularly when I told him that just because they weren't there didn't mean Fangy wasn't involved with... something.

And, these experiences of Jim and his wife are still a mystery...

GG

My Mom grew up in the house that her grandfather built and her dad and family grew up in. my Mom's uncle (her dad's brother) was killed in WW1 and a sister had died as a young woman. One night when my Mom was a kid she woke up to a man coming in her room opening a drawer in a tiny desk and getting out a pencil or writing utensil of some kind, he made no noise, knew exactley what he wanted and where it was. She never mentioned this to her parents and she doesn't recall them mentioning any guests over. She doesn't want to say it was a ghost but it could have been. Of course it freaked the living daylights out of her. My perspective years later and far away from this eevnt. I wonder if ghosts can pick up objects and open doors and whatnot?

One night when I was out of town my wife heard heavy-booted footsteps in the bedroom. She felt someone sit down on the bed. She said out loud, "No! Only Treeface!" (or whatever my name happens to be), and he was gone. She heard his boots at other times, but he never sat down on the bed again.

One night she felt something about the size of a cat run across the pillow behind her head. Shortly after that, she and I began to occasionally see a small dog/large cat sized white-ish shape darting around, out of the corner of our eyes.

One time in the basement, she and one of my sons (her step-son) both saw an area of sparkly/wavy-ness in the air. It was near my son, so he put out his hands and could feel it.

On the day that we moved out of that house, she and I and another son and two friends had just finished loading up the U-Haul. We had the traditional delivery pizza, and then plain blueberries for desert, the latter purchased from a local street vendor. The last blueberry on my son's plate rolled across the plate "all by itself". End-over-end, like flipping a tire instead of rolling it. I took it as a good-bye gesture from our friends.

My wife continues to sometimes see and hear what may be ghosts in our new house, but I don't see or hear them as much as she does. Sometimes I hear what sounds like a TV show. She hears it too. It's no big deal to either of us.

I don't tell the scary stories anymore, but yeah I have a few of those too.

Okay, this one's maybe a little scary, but mostly wierd. Not sure this exactly qualifies as a ghost story. In south-eastern Utah, south of Moab, there's a large natural arch near the side of the road called Wilson's Arch. Many years ago my first wife and I were driving along across country and came upon it and she hollered, "I know this place! Stop the car!" She'd never been there before, but said she remembered the place. She told me that she remembered fleeing there along with other women and children, fleeing from a bunch of men. She told me that there was a trail over there, and we walked over and looked and sure enough. We followed it a little ways and then lost it, and so I asked her, where's the trail now? She said the trail picks up again over there on the other side of those bushes, and sure enough. I asked her did they get away, what happened? She paused, and then said, it's okay now. She was not the sort of person who has paranormal experiences, in fact that's the only one I'm aware of.

Okay that's not the wierd part. Fast-forward twenty-something years. I'm now with wife number two (no I'm not a polygamist; I'm a serial monogamist). We're driving through southern Utah on a business trip, and we drive past Wilson's Arch. She looks at it puzzled, but doesn't say anything. Neither do I. We drive for several more miles, and something is clearly on her mind but I don't want to ask her what. Finally she says, "I remember that place". So I whip a U-turn and we go back. Just like my first wife, she also remembered being with a bunch of women and children, and fleeing from a bunch of men to that place. Her memory included what happened when the men caught up to them, and basically they were killed, and she showed me where some of that happened and told me how. So anyway, what are the odds of both of my wives having essentially the same "memory" of the same place that neither of them had ever seen before??

Hello treeface...

The cat you used to see is what is known as a "shadow cat." There are reports by individuals who have seen cats and have also seen "shadow people" out of the corner of their eye... or sometimes awaken and see a person standing in the room... I don't even like to think about it...

The story of your wives is more than puzzling.

GG

One night when I was out of town my wife heard heavy-booted footsteps in the bedroom. She felt someone sit down on the bed. She said out loud, "No! Only Treeface!" (or whatever my name happens to be), and he was gone. She heard his boots at other times, but he never sat down on the bed again.

One night she felt something about the size of a cat run across the pillow behind her head. Shortly after that, she and I began to occasionally see a small dog/large cat sized white-ish shape darting around, out of the corner of our eyes.

One time in the basement, she and one of my sons (her step-son) both saw an area of sparkly/wavy-ness in the air. It was near my son, so he put out his hands and could feel it.

On the day that we moved out of that house, she and I and another son and two friends had just finished loading up the U-Haul. We had the traditional delivery pizza, and then plain blueberries for desert, the latter purchased from a local street vendor. The last blueberry on my son's plate rolled across the plate "all by itself". End-over-end, like flipping a tire instead of rolling it. I took it as a good-bye gesture from our friends.

My wife continues to sometimes see and hear what may be ghosts in our new house, but I don't see or hear them as much as she does. Sometimes I hear what sounds like a TV show. She hears it too. It's no big deal to either of us.

I don't tell the scary stories anymore, but yeah I have a few of those too.

Okay, this one's maybe a little scary, but mostly wierd. Not sure this exactly qualifies as a ghost story. In south-eastern Utah, south of Moab, there's a large natural arch near the side of the road called Wilson's Arch. Many years ago my first wife and I were driving along across country and came upon it and she hollered, "I know this place! Stop the car!" She'd never been there before, but said she remembered the place. She told me that she remembered fleeing there along with other women and children, fleeing from a bunch of men. She told me that there was a trail over there, and we walked over and looked and sure enough. We followed it a little ways and then lost it, and so I asked her, where's the trail now? She said the trail picks up again over there on the other side of those bushes, and sure enough. I asked her did they get away, what happened? She paused, and then said, it's okay now. She was not the sort of person who has paranormal experiences, in fact that's the only one I'm aware of.

Okay that's not the wierd part. Fast-forward twenty-something years. I'm now with wife number two (no I'm not a polygamist; I'm a serial monogamist). We're driving through southern Utah on a business trip, and we drive past Wilson's Arch. She looks at it puzzled, but doesn't say anything. Neither do I. We drive for several more miles, and something is clearly on her mind but I don't want to ask her what. Finally she says, "I remember that place". So I whip a U-turn and we go back. Just like my first wife, she also remembered being with a bunch of women and children, and fleeing from a bunch of men to that place. Her memory included what happened when the men caught up to them, and basically they were killed, and she showed me where some of that happened and told me how. So anyway, what are the odds of both of my wives having essentially the same "memory" of the same place that neither of them had ever seen before??

The story of your wives both remembering the same past life experience is uncanny.