Lds Church Meeting In Georgia Threatened With Violence

smac97

http://chronicle.aug...mmo_ccc=xfinity

Police are investigating threats of harm to people attending a Scripture study at a Mormon church.

According to an incident report, elders from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints on Eastland Drive were spreading the word of the church at apartments on Boy Scout Road Aug. 7 when they first met the suspect.

Police said the suspect, a 26-year-old man named Landarious, showed the elders his firearms. Further information on the initial incident was not provided.

Police said the suspect contacted Donallen Phillips, a 20-year-old church elder, through text message around 7 p.m. Tuesday threatening to kill Phillips and everyone else attending a Scripture study on Wednesday.

Phillips reported the incident to the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office around 9 a.m. Wednesday.

_____

I suspect the "elders" referenced here are missionaries.

-Smac

"Scripture study" = seminary?

I noticed that the threat was reported at 9 am, so that would fit. Disturbing.

But the threat was made the night before at 7 PM. Still sounds like seminary unless it was a special study group the elders were holding, could be institute as well?

If the threat was made toward early morning seminary, then why in the world would the elder have waited until after seminary on the day the threat was to be carried out to report it? More like it was something later in the day so the elder felt he had time to talk to the mission president or maybe bishop about it to get advice.

I don't know how things are done in the Peach state, but up here in Canada there is no early morning seminary in August. There are, however, institute classes that meet in the summer.

Anyway, I'm glad this loser didn't carry out his threat. It seems there's a new mass shooting in the news every day.

I have an older HP in my Stake who told us about an interesting Home Teaching visit here in North Georgia. He met with a disaffected member of the church who greeted him with a loaded shotgun. Standing his ground he told the man he was his home teacher and it was his duty to check on him. The man said "aren't you afraid of dying?" and my friend replied "No, but you should be."

At that the man put down the shotgun and invited him into his house.

I have an older HP in my Stake who told us about an interesting Home Teaching visit here in North Georgia. He met with a disaffected member of the church who greeted him with a loaded shotgun. Standing his ground he told the man he was his home teacher and it was his duty to check on him. The man said "aren't you afraid of dying?" and my friend replied "No, but you should be."

yikes alive!

When I lived in Denver I had a man threaten to throw both me and my son bodily from his porch. I doubt he could have done it at the time but I just smiled and said "We're sorry to bother you: and then backed off his steps and left. Never to return.

When I lived in Denver I had a man threaten to throw both me and my son bodily from his porch. I doubt he could have done it at the time but I just smiled and said "We're sorry to bother you: and then backed off his steps and left. Never to return.

I suspect this is a pretty regular scene. If not a gun other threats. My son had to dodge a couple of beer bottles thrown at his head when he was in the Philippines but thankfully those were rare occasions.

I think the difference here and the reason it was reported was the threat to bring violence into a meeting.

I suspect this is a pretty regular scene. If not a gun other threats. My son had to dodge a couple of beer bottles thrown at his head when he was in the Philippines but thankfully those were rare occasions.

I think the difference here and the reason it was reported was the threat to bring violence into a meeting.

I would have thought the difference was to take the violence anywhere, there is a difference in my view in threatening someone because they are on your property or in your 'personal space'....not right, but more understandable.

Sounds like a scene from my mission. It happened to us but we put our hands up and backed out of the yard and onto the roadway, then got out of there as quickly as we could.

Else ware in my mission we had a branch building get pipe bombed after a 19 year old Gypsy girl got baptized without her parents concent.

Archived