Oddest Church Business Idea I Have Ever Heard

Duncan

The elders were telling me about this guy in my ward who has been a member about 3 years and doesn't believe a thing he was taught but he comes for whatever reason, I think he gets a kick out of challenging people, he is rude and sometimes racist but he comes so whatever. Anyways he has this plan of starting this video on youtube and wants people to watch and somehow join the Church and give him money by donating thier money to it and he will keep half and donate the rest to the Church, he has been searching the area for a place to have a call centre in place to handle the massive amounts of people phoning in and giving their money. He is going to do a whole series of these youtube videos and wants to set up essentially a business bringing people into the Church. the elders were here on splits tonite and the other elder and myself were like well...I...hope it ...works..out

the other elder and myself were like well...I...hope it ...works..out

Actually I would hope that it bombs totally. The idea that anyone is making money off of investigators is just so wrong especially if he doesn't actually believe it....if he brings it up again, you need to give him the lecture about priestcraft or something.

Understand with his situation you need to walk softly, but if he actually did put something like that up, I think the Church should go after him on it. Maybe he thinks by donating half the money it will cause the Church to go along with him, maybe he thinks it is all a con job at the top levels already. I would think it was even an excommunicable offense if I am understanding you rightly...maybe I am overreacting though. Obviously you and the elder know it's not a good thing to do, just don't know how to respond because it is so bizarre.

He apparently thinks he can do a better (con) job then the Church which is pouring tons of money into PR and the missionary program.

Reminds me of a young man who thought his idea to sell a placebo to the Russian government for giving to its troops in areas of potential radioactivity was the business idea of the year. Pointing out to him it was unethical didn't work, pointing out to him the Russian government might not go along with it didn't work (and honestly there I can understand why speaking in general of government corruption), pointing out to him that if the government actually liked his idea that there was nothing stopping them from doing it for themselves since it wasn't an actual drug just made him indignant...for some reason he thought that while they would be unethical enough to lie to their own troops to make them more amenable to taking risks, that somehow they would be reluctant to steal his idea......

Tell him he will make more money coming up with a creative Christmas Tree Topper. The Angel Moroni is old stuff now, there is nothing the Church membership needs more right now than a new treetopper....

Edited by calmoriah

Actually I would hope that it bombs totally. The idea that anyone is making money off of investigators is just so wrong especially if he doesn't actually believe it....if he brings it up again, you need to give him the lecture about priestcraft or something.

Understand with his situation you need to walk softly, but if he actually did put something like that up, I think the Church should go after him on it. Maybe he thinks by donating half the money it will cause the Church to go along with him, maybe he thinks it is all a con job at the top levels already. I would think it was even an excommunicable offense if I am understanding you rightly...maybe I am overreacting though. Obviously you and the elder know it's not a good thing to do, just don't know how to respond because it is so bizarre.

He apparently thinks he can do a better (con) job then the Church which is pouring tons of money into PR and the missionary program.

Reminds me of a young man who thought his idea to sell a placebo to the Russian government for giving to its troops in areas of potential radioactivity was the business idea of the year. Pointing out to him it was unethical didn't work, pointing out to him the Russian government might not go along with it didn't work (and honestly there I can understand why speaking in general of government corruption), pointing out to him that if the government actually liked his idea that there was nothing stopping them from doing it for themselves since it wasn't an actual drug just made him indignant...for some reason he thought that while they would be unethical enough to lie to their own troops to make them more amenable to taking risks, that somehow they would be reluctant to steal his idea......

Tell him he will make more money coming up with a creative Christmas Tree Topper. The Angel Moroni is old stuff now, there is nothing the Church membership needs more right now than a new treetopper....

!!! I am waiting to see what his frst video says and then see what happens. The one Elder who was telling me about it seems excited for it but the other one, the AP who was on splits and first heard about it like I did was like...cool...

Kewel! B:)

Tell him that if he sells it using MLM, I want to be in his downline! :huh::unsure:

NOT!!! ;)

My guess is that the church would step in promptly and put a stop to it. It would be like he was making is own church, using church symbols and doctrine. The ward mission leader, or whomever he talks to about the idea needs to tell him that he can't make his own church and expect it to be okay with God. Silence to him will no doubt be seen as approval.

Tell him that the church does welcome good ideas, and he is welcome to present ideas for improving outreach to his local mission leader or even the church missionary department. But he cannot use church logo or stationary or church buildings or documents to do anything commercial, much less something that is not how the Lord through His prophets have set it up.

My guess is that the church would step in promptly and put a stop to it. It would be like he was making is own church, using church symbols and doctrine. The ward mission leader, or whomever he talks to about the idea needs to tell him that he can't make his own church and expect it to be okay with God. Silence to him will no doubt be seen as approval.

Tell him that the church does welcome good ideas, and he is welcome to present ideas for improving outreach to his local mission leader or even the church missionary department. But he cannot use church logo or stationary or church buildings or documents to do anything commercial, much less something that is not how the Lord through His prophets have set it up.

all good info! I am he ward mission leader so I emailed the Bishop and as far as I know he hasn't filmed any videos yet

> How many members does it take to unhinge a good program? .... Just one,if he already has a screw loose !

I emailed the Bishop who talked with the Elders so I don't know if this will go anywhere but i advised them tonite to not get involved because if anything hits the fan they don't want to get in trouble and yes I think this man has a few fries short of a happy meal!

Almost sounds like something that could be illegal. What's the word I'm looking for? Oh yeah: fraud.

well, quite possibly! I emailed the Bishop about it and he is doing whatever and honestly if this gets off the ground I would be extremely surprised

I guess I was thinking it wouldn't cost money to do videos and that it would just be his time involvement, but if they are decent ones then it would, wouldn't it. It is such a flakey idea though I just saw it has highly unlikely they would be quality ones....it would never get that far in my mind. But crazier things have happened.

Edited by calmoriah

I guess I was thinking it wouldn't cost money to do videos and that it would just be his time involvement, but if they are decent ones then it would, wouldn't it. It is such a flakey idea though I just saw it has highly unlikely they would be quality ones....it would never get that far in my mind. But crazier things have happened.

as far as I know they haven't filmed anything but he wants to do it in the High Council room and I told the elders stay away from it and if they actually do this then take their tags off if not like run far away from it!! But my proverbial hands are clean from this whole thing as I told the Bishop and just see where it goes

He seems to have given it some thought. I can understand your reaction now, it was not just so random remark. Think you've handled it the best way possible. Definitely the Bishop's stewardship's.