Seriously No Politics ×

The Lds Writers Dialogue And Discussion Board

Matthew J. Tandy

Let me start by saying I enjoy writing. I do it regularly, and have attended several conferences.

I also know several members of this board who enjoy writing also, both fiction and non-fiction.

Previously, there has been no board for LDS writer's on a broad level, except for a obscure one by Orson Scott Card at Nauvoo.com that is a little less focused.

So, I took it upon myself today, after a year of contemplation, to do something about it.

Behold:

http://ldswriters.proboards.com/

Confession: I borrowed several ideas, and even topic descriptions from MD&D. I also took nearly wholesale the Board Guidelines from here, making modifications as appropriate for the difference in topic. It would be non-sensible to reinvent the wheel when the guidelines here are so well done. Mods, if you want me to change that part, let me know.

Please tell anyone possibly interested in this venture about the website. Send them links, post it to Facebook, etc. And come join in, post topics, and more. If it becomes mildly successful, I will register it's own URL, enable chat, and upgrade to the ad-free version. If you feel a sub-board should be added, let me know.

Let me start by saying I enjoy writing. I do it regularly, and have attended several conferences.

I also know several members of this board who enjoy writing also, both fiction and non-fiction.

Previously, there has been no board for LDS writer's on a broad level, except for a obscure one by Orson Scott Card at Nauvoo.com that is a little less focused.

So, I took it upon myself today, after a year of contemplation, to do something about it.

Behold:

Confession: I borrowed several ideas, and even topic descriptions from MD&D. I also took nearly wholesale the Board Guidelines from here, making modifications as appropriate for the difference in topic. It would be non-sensible to reinvent the wheel when the guidelines here are so well done. Mods, if you want me to change that part, let me know.

Please tell anyone possibly interested in this venture about the website. Send them links, post it to Facebook, etc. And come join in, post topics, and more. If it becomes mildly successful, I will register it's own URL, enable chat, and upgrade to the ad-free version. If you feel a sub-board should be added, let me know.

Awesome, I'm joining.

How are you defining writer? Must one be published to be eligible? If so, what constitutes publication? Does a blog count? Or a post on a message board?

I just signed up, so clearly nobody is excluded.

Just sign up.

Behold:

I could add some poetry...don't worry I know the answer. :sorry:

I just signed up, so clearly nobody is excluded.

Just sign up.

That goes to the point I'm making. The definition seems rather nebulous. I guess I'm having trouble seeing what makes the new discussion board unique or all that dissimilar from this one.

Now if Matthew J. Tandy wanted to limit it to those people who take the trouble to properly construct a sentence or who are not careless about spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc., I think he could narrow the field substantially.

That goes to the point I'm making. The definition seems rather nebulous. I guess I'm having trouble seeing what makes the new discussion board unique or all that dissimilar from this one.

Personally, I wish there was a board which limits the participation to members of the Church with current temple recommends, and which has a moderation team with a much lighter touch.

Now if Matthew J. Tandy wanted to limit it to those people who take the trouble to properly construct a sentence or who are not careless about spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc., I think he could narrow the field substantially.

Or very boring.

I feel not to judge others inability to write a sentence. I am fairly confident that those particular people will have a distinct lack of ability to make it pass the sign-up screen.:-) Only those blessed with a very vague and general command of the English language will be able to make it. It's like survival of the fittest. :acute:

To answer the point though Scott, the Mormon Dialogue Board is a place to discuss doctrine, religion in general, etc. The LDS Writer's Board is to discuss... writing. Prose and Verse, Fiction and Non-Fiction. For magazines or for publishers or for self-publishing. It's about encouraging people to finish that novel or illustrated children's book or poetry collection, being a resource on publishers and a place to talk about experiences in submitting for publication, and being accepted or rejected. We just had the LDS Storymaker's Conference, which is essentially the same concept, just in conference form. I assure you there was nothing remotely similar to LDS apologetics going on there, aside from the LDS aspect... :-)

Papa, I would be thrilled if you posted some of your poetry. It's a place to be encouraged and improve.:-) If you wanted, I could create a category for verse.

Stargazer, thanks for signing up and saying hello over there. Now post something more.:-D

I feel not to judge others inability to write a sentence. I am fairly confident that those particular people will have a distinct lack of ability to make it pass the sign-up screen.:-) Only those blessed with a very vague and general command of the english language will be able to make it. It's like survival of the fittest. :acute:

To answer the point though Scott, the Mormon Dialogue Board is a place to discuss doctrine, religion in general, etc. The LDS Writer's Board is to discuss... writing. Prose and Verse, FIction adn Non-Fiction. For magazines or for publishers or for self-publishing. It's about encouraing people to finish that novel or illustrated children's book or poetry collection, being a resource on publishers and a place to talk about experiences in submitting for publication, and being accepted or rejected. We jsut had the LDS Storymaker's Conference, which is essentially the same concept, just in conference form. I assure you there was nothing remotely similar to LDS apologetics going on there, aside from the LDS aspect... :-)

Papa, I would be thrilled if you posted some of your poetry. It's a place to be encouraged and improve.:-) If you wanted, I could create a category for verse.

Stargazer, thanks for signing up and sayinng hello over there. Now post something more.:-D

OK. That clarifies the matter considerably.

I feel not to judge others inability to write a sentence. I am fairly confident that those particular people will have a distinct lack of ability to make it pass the sign-up screen.:-) Only those blessed with a very vague and general command of the English language will be able to make it. It's like survival of the fittest. :acute:

So Hemmingway need not apply (hope I spelled his name correctly)? He cared little for punctuation and capitalization and it became “his” trademark. I would like to say this is why I (like the Prophet) “cannot write a well worded or coherent sentence”…my problem is just pure ignorance. Or it could be the mindless technical engineer speak I have to write in J.

So Hemmingway need not apply (hope I spelled his name correctly)? He cared little for punctuation and capitalization and it became “his” trademark. I would like to say this is why I (like the Prophet) “cannot write a well worded or coherent sentence”…my problem is just pure ignorance. Or it could be the mindless technical engineer speak I have to write in J.

I just came from a lecture today given by the esteemed historian Ron Barney. He suggested that this characterization by Emma is a bit over the top and has contributed to a false impression about the Prophet's literacy over the years. In actually, Joseph was brilliant.

And by the way, Pa Pa, I think you are too hard on yourself. I find your prose to be clean enough.

I just came from a lecture today given by the esteemed historian Ron Barney. He suggested that this characterization by Emma is a bit over the top and has contributed to a false impression about the Prophet's literacy over the years. In actually, Joseph was brilliant.

And by the way, Pa Pa, I think you are too hard on yourself. I find your prose to be clean enough.

I know he was brilliant, but that and writing well do always go hand in hand.

Oops, did I write "in actually"?

I went back and fixed it, but clearly I'm not ready for the LDS Writers board.

It's OK, Scott. Keep practicing, and who knows? One day you might find yourself writing for an august publication such as the Deseret News. ;)

Archived