Ghosts And Spirits, Etc.

Bit

At a recent family event, one of my aunts and her three sons were telling me about their "haunted" house. They said they've seen objects fly across the room by themselves, they said they've seen children in the home. One family member said he and his mother set up a camera in the basement to try to capture something, but the camera was immediately destroyed.

Now, I've always been a skeptic about these sorts of things, but I am also a believer in the teachings of the Church. There is, no doubt, a realm of infinite possibility all around us that our limited senses cannot detect; for example, we can only see a very small portion of the light spectrum. I'm also quite versed in cognitive errors, like lucid dreaming hallucinations. One study I read maintained that sleeping near things that generate electromagnetic radiation (cell phones, other electronics) can cause hallucinations as well. I've known these family members my whole life, and have never found them to be dishonest or in any way mentally compromised.

What do you guys think?

i'd do it, no problem! I don't believe in that stuff either but I'd be willing to be proven wrong

I think I would, too! Personally, I am thinking it is some type of lucid dreaming. The mother and her three teenage boys have reported having these experiences, but the father who is my uncle by blood, thinks they're all crazy.

I think I would, too! Personally, I am thinking it is some type of lucid dreaming. The mother and her three teenage boys have reported having these experiences, but the father who is my uncle by blood, thinks they're all crazy.

Where I grew up when I was a wee tot we lived by train tracks and when the train went by it shook my bed and i thought ghosts were shaking it but my Mum calmed me down!

At a recent family event, one of my aunts and her three sons were telling me about their "haunted" house. They said they've seen objects fly across the room by themselves, they said they've seen children in the home. One family member said he and his mother set up a camera in the basement to try to capture something, but the camera was immediately destroyed.

Now, I've always been a skeptic about these sorts of things, but I am also a believer in the teachings of the Church. There is, no doubt, a realm of infinite possibility all around us that our limited senses cannot detect; for example, we can only see a very small portion of the light spectrum. I'm also quite versed in cognitive errors, like lucid dreaming hallucinations. One study I read maintained that sleeping near things that generate electromagnetic radiation (cell phones, other electronics) can cause hallucinations as well. I've known these family members my whole life, and have never found them to be dishonest or in any way mentally compromised.

What do you guys think?

If they had three daughters then I would chalk it up to rampant energy brought about prepubescent energy, but I am not so sure about boys. One, they could be afflicted with temporal lobe disfunction which could cause hallucinations. Two, as mentioned that electromagnetic fields can disrupt the temporal lobe to such an extent that they are then subject to the same hallucinations. Three, they could be viewing something of a residual energy produced by events that had occurred years previously, or they are simply being haunted by beings that have not passed on. As for me, I would definitely stay away. Why borrow trouble?

If they had three daughters then I would chalk it up to rampant energy brought about prepubescent energy, but I am not so sure about boys. One, they could be afflicted with temporal lobe disfunction which could cause hallucinations. Two, as mentioned that electromagnetic fields can disrupt the temporal lobe to such an extent that they are then subject to the same hallucinations. Three, they could be viewing something of a residual energy produced by events that had occurred years previously, or they are simply being haunted by beings that have not passed on. As for me, I would definitely stay away. Why borrow trouble?

because it would be fun! plus you might be on the news! "local man met up with ghosts tonite and told them what they have been missing since they have died" what could go wrong?!

Edited by Duncan

I suppose the appeal for me to attempt to witnesses any of this would be to find definitive proof of an afterlife. I've never had a supernatural experience in my life, does that mean my temporal lobe is healthy?

By your last statement, I take it that you believe in residual energy and hauntings? If this is the case, what is the family to do about it?

I am skeptical about these things, of course. If there were hauntings and ghosts, wouldn't there be definitive evidence of them? Wouldn't, at least, one of those "ghost hunter" shows capture something that can be corroborated and accepted by the scientific community? I watch those shows, and nothing ever happens!

I suppose the appeal for me to attempt to witnesses any of this would be to find definitive proof of an afterlife. I've never had a supernatural experience in my life, does that mean my temporal lobe is healthy?

By your last statement, I take it that you believe in residual energy and hauntings? If this is the case, what is the family to do about it?

I am skeptical about these things, of course. If there were hauntings and ghosts, wouldn't there be definitive evidence of them? Wouldn't, at least, one of those "ghost hunter" shows capture something that can be corroborated and accepted by the scientific community? I watch those shows, and nothing ever happens!

I ma the same, the very same. Mind you, I do believe in visitations and visions but not hauntings. I do believe that Satan and his minions are around and may make the ocasional appearance like Pres. Woodruff and others found out when they were on their mission to England in the early 1840's. Wait there is more.When I was on my mission we had a recent convert apparently get possessed in Gospel essentials class. Quite the day.

I am the same, the very same. Mind you, I do believe in visitations and visions but not hauntings. I do believe that Satan and his minions are around and may make the ocasional appearance like Pres. Woodruff and others found out when they were on their mission to England in the early 1840's. Wait there is more.When I was on my mission we had a recent convert apparently get possessed in Gospel essentials class. Quite the day.

Would the destruction of the camera be considered a hallucination?

Good point. As well, they said they have seen objects fly across the room by themselves. These are the only things I couldn't explain, but there has to be an explanation,right?

Katherine,

Like you, I believe there are a great number of things we have no way to contemplate as humans in this world at this time. I rule nothing out. I have had three/four experiences in my lifetime that have made me sure that I can not rule any experiences out. I'd be happy to privately email a discussion of them :) I don't want anyone to think I've slid off my cracker :) I will say however, that the most vivid accounts occurred after my mother had died (within the next few days and weeks). W2K

because it would be fun! plus you might be on the news! "local man met up with ghosts tonite and told them what they have been missing since they have died" what could go wrong?!

You might be bringing something home with you that you weren't expecting, as well. That's why I hate Ouija Boards.

As a priesthood member you can order it to leave by the power of the Holy Ghost. I know a lot of people laugh at these things, but there is some things that are truly supernatural in our world. Some of it is innocuous while others are not. Residual hauntings are not supernatural, but more supernature in that which we little understand. Humans are essentially energy and some of that energy is absorbed by the environment around us only to be replayed at opportune times. Energy sources such as electro magnetism, running water, teenage children etc., can affect the energy levels of a house. If it gets bad I would consider moving. It is not worth the fight not when there are kids involved.

You might be bringing something home with you that you weren't expecting, as well. That's why I hate Ouija Boards.

well, if something or someone comes home with me they can at least help with the dishes! They seem to be able to throw things around, at the very least they can help with the cleaning and it wouldn't hurt them to pick up a broom once in a while

As a priesthood member you can order it to leave by the power of the Holy Ghost. I know a lot of people laugh at these things, but there is some things that are truly supernatural in our world. Some of it is innocuous while others are not. Residual hauntings are not supernatural, but more supernature in that which we little understand. Humans are essentially energy and some of that energy is absorbed by the environment around us only to be replayed at opportune times. Energy sources such as electro magnetism, running water, teenage children etc., can affect the energy levels of a house. If it gets bad I would consider moving. It is not worth the fight not when there are kids involved.

I've heard that certain parts of the world are much more prone to "hauntings", demon possession, etc. Do you think that the evil is just present everywhere, and that maybe some people have genetic predisposition or something else that makes them more susceptible or do you think the spirits just target people and you sense them whether you want to or not?

I've heard that certain parts of the world are much more prone to "hauntings", demon possession, etc. Do you think that the evil is just present everywhere, and that maybe some people have genetic predisposition or something else that makes them more susceptible or do you think the spirits just target people and you sense them whether you want to or not?

Not all hauntings are evil.