Seriously No Politics ×

Church Records To Be Stored Near Jackson County

I found this to be of interest... It kind of slipped under the radar, but it makes sense, given what will eventually happen near there. Here's a snip:

"The Mormon Church plans to build an electronic safe house in the Northland for the billions of birth certificates and other genealogical records it has been compiling around the world for almost a century.

The 63,000-square-foot building is being designed to withstand the worst natural disasters and keep its computer servers cool and dry for several years should it lose outside power, all to ensure its trove of digital documents remains undamaged.

“Without question, we have the largest single repository of this type of information,” said Russell D. Stay, senior vice president of Family Search. “We’ve been pursuing this a long time.”

Construction is expected to begin by late fall in the Shoal Creek area, near Northeast Soccer Drive (roughly Northeast 76th Street) and Interstate 435. It is expected to be operational by early 2013."

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/09/06/3125342/mormon-church-plans-storage-center.html

I found this to be of interest... It kind of slipped under the radar, but it makes sense, given what will eventually happen near there. Here's a snip:

"The Mormon Church plans to build an electronic safe house in the Northland for the billions of birth certificates and other genealogical records it has been compiling around the world for almost a century.

The 63,000-square-foot building is being designed to withstand the worst natural disasters and keep its computer servers cool and dry for several years should it lose outside power, all to ensure its trove of digital documents remains undamaged.

“Without question, we have the largest single repository of this type of information,” said Russell D. Stay, senior vice president of Family Search. “We’ve been pursuing this a long time.”

Construction is expected to begin by late fall in the Shoal Creek area, near Northeast Soccer Drive (roughly Northeast 76th Street) and Interstate 435. It is expected to be operational by early 2013."

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/09/06/3125342/mormon-church-plans-storage-center.html

nifty and all but the word "operational" sounds too star wars, I find it disturbing

Uh, that is awfully close to Adam Ondi Ahman, where all the records are to be- a few miles north of the temple site.

:unsure:

You know I have to...

1Tim1:4 Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith; so do.

You missed this one:

1Cor 15:29 Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?

How can they be "baptized for the dead" if they don't do no "genealogies for the dead"?

"early 2013"

They are going to have to speed it up by from 1 to 6 months if they are going to make the Dec 2012 deadline.

:morg:

It's a clever ploy. The enemies of the Church expect it to be ready in 2013 but when they attack in 2012 expecting no danger the Danites will lay a trap and President Monson will then laugh as he unleashes his fully armed and operational genealogy center.

It's a clever ploy. The enemies of the Church expect it to be ready in 2013 but when they attack in 2012 expecting no danger the Danites will lay a trap and President Monson will then laugh as he unleashes his fully armed and operational genealogy center.

I vote this is the best Star Wars reference yet.

The rest of you should quit because you aren't going to top it.:vader:

You mean our Church leaders are true believers?

You missed this one:

How can they be "baptized for the dead" if they don't do no "genealogies for the dead"?

I believe I have discussed the topic of BFTD here at length. It would be useless to restate my thoughts on the subject again. I will only ask...

Who are these "they" Paul is referring to- when in the rest of the verses of the chapter he is speaking of "us" and "we"? Why does he exchange pronouns at this juncture, and refer to "they" being baptized for the dead and not "we" being baptized for the dead?

I believe I have discussed the topic of BFTD here at length. It would be useless to restate my thoughts on the subject again. I will only ask...

Who are these "they" Paul is referring to- when in the rest of the verses of the chapter he is speaking of "us" and "we"? Why does he exchange pronouns at this juncture, and refer to "they" being baptized for the dead and not "we" being baptized for the dead?

"They," as the previous verses make clear, refers to the Apostles:

1 Corinthians 15
:

9 For I am the least of the
apostles,
that am not meet to be called an
apostle,
because I persecuted the church of God.

10 But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than
they all:
yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.

11 Therefore whether it were I or
they
[i.e. the Apostles], so we preach, and so ye believed.

12 Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead?

29 Else what shall
they
do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are
they
then baptized for the dead?

If the context is anything to go by, "they" refers to the Apostles, and by implication, to the other early Christians as well.

"They," as the previous verses make clear, refers to the Apostles:

1 Corinthians 15
:

9 For I am the least of the
apostles,
that am not meet to be called an
apostle,
because I persecuted the church of God.

10 But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than
they all:
yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.

11 Therefore whether it were I or
they
[i.e. the Apostles], so we preach, and so ye believed.

12 Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead?

29 Else what shall
they
do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are
they
then baptized for the dead?

If the context is anything to go by, "they" refers to the Apostles, and by implication, to the other early Christians as well.

Your interpretation of the verses would lead one to believe that only the Apostles perform BFTD. Also, you left out a huge chunk of verses in order to offer your interpretation.

Your interpretation of the verses would lead one to believe that only the Apostles perform BFTD.

Well, I was replying to your question:

The answer is that he “exchanges pronouns” earlier on, and “they” refers to the Apostles; and since the Apostles taught and set the example for all the saints, it refers basically to Church members at that time. That would be the closest approximation for who “they” refers to, according to the context. Do you have a better suggestion?

Also, you left out a huge chunk of verses in order to offer your interpretation.

The “chunk” isn’t that big; and it occurs within the same context. The whole chapter is about the subject of the resurrection, and the context is all interrelated. Your objection doesn’t seem to be a serious one. Again, I ask, who else do you think “they” refers to, and on what basis?

To our naysayers; could it be that they are true believers, after all?