LifeOnaPlate Posted April 8, 2010 Posted April 8, 2010 Our friend frankenstein quoted someone as saying: It would not be uncommon to hear a Mormon say,
Lamanite Posted April 8, 2010 Posted April 8, 2010 I believe that the Spirit World resides somewhere other than this earth...I also believe that an infinite Atonement allows for an infinite time frame with which to apply it....Big UP!Lamanite
frankenstein Posted April 8, 2010 Posted April 8, 2010 the quote is from Lyod Erickson article on defining mormon doctrine, it is on page 76 in which ever volume the article is found in.
LifeOnaPlate Posted April 8, 2010 Author Posted April 8, 2010 the quote is from Lyod Erickson article on defining mormon doctrine, it is on page 76 in which ever volume the article is found in.Thanks frank. Now you have seen it from 3 different Mormons. I am interested to hear from others.
LifeOnaPlate Posted April 8, 2010 Author Posted April 8, 2010 I believe that the Spirit World resides somewhere other than this earth...I also believe that an infinite Atonement allows for an infinite time frame with which to apply it....Big UP!LamaniteLamanite, thanks for taking a break from issuing threats long enough to throw in a few ideas. For some reason, people might get the impression that the slippery slope to apostasy is ridden by those who aren't 100% certain about every last thing they believe. Oh, well. We might as well admit it right now. We believe we are real people, but it may not be true. We may actually be a simulation of real people, or the dreams of a solitary brain in a vat in a laboratory on some planet we've never heard heard of. Or on some sort of sphere or location we have not been programmed to understand as a valid concept, like a square-shaped circle upside down globe.PS- I hope all of you gossipy chapel Mormons out there will forgive this little indulgence of mine, the indulgence of disclaiming omniscience. oops!
Senator Posted April 8, 2010 Posted April 8, 2010 Lamanite, thanks for taking a break from issuing threats long enough to throw in a few ideas. For some reason, people might get the impression that the slippery slope to apostasy is ridden by those who aren't 100% certain about every last thing they believe. Oh, well. We might as well admit it right now. We believe we are real people, but it may not be true. We may actually be a simulation of real people, or the dreams of a solitary brain in a vat in a laboratory on some planet we've never heard heard of. Or on some sort of sphere or location we have not been programmed to understand as a valid concept, like a square-shaped circle upside down globe.PS- I hope all of you gossipy chapel Mormons out there will forgive this little indulgence of mine, the indulgence of disclaiming omniscience. oops! Whaa??? Where did that come from?
ttribe Posted April 8, 2010 Posted April 8, 2010 Whaa??? Where did that come from?I believe it was something of an inside joke and a tweak of a certain "stalker" who has started a thread on another board about LoaP's imminent apostasy based on the subject of this thread.
LifeOnaPlate Posted April 8, 2010 Author Posted April 8, 2010 Whaa??? Where did that come from?I thought that caveat was pretty self-evidently needed based on my OP, no?
Lamanite Posted April 8, 2010 Posted April 8, 2010 Lamanite, thanks for taking a break from issuing threats long enough to throw in a few ideas. LOL! I initially thought this said "threads." To which my brain replied, "I have started a lot of threads lately. I only wished the quality of my content matched the quantity of my output." I think I peaked about a week ago. I'm AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I believe that God loves me unconditionally despite what Elder Nelson says...Big UP!LamaniteP.S. Who did I threaten???...... lately
mercyngrace Posted April 8, 2010 Posted April 8, 2010 Feel free to jump in.First, let me say that over the years I've heard a common disclaimer that means essentially the same thing: This is the gospel according to Brother Jones. And my husband frequently says "I don't know if this is true, but if it ain't it ought to be..." I'm surprised Frankenstein hasn't heard these kinds of disclaimers more often as I've been hearing them all my life.Secondly, there's a list of things that I believe which may not be true and I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case for everyone since there is so much we still don't know and, as a people, aren't prepared to receive. My personal list includes theories about:- progression between the kingdoms- universality of salvation- the meaning of exaltation- how resurrection occurs- the nature and scope of the church and why most people won't be members in this lifeP.S. Lamanite, I believe God loves you unconditionally, too.
LifeOnaPlate Posted April 8, 2010 Author Posted April 8, 2010 First, let me say that over the years I've heard a common disclaimer that means essentially the same thing: This is the gospel according to Brother Jones. And my husband frequently says "I don't know if this is true, but if it ain't it ought to be..." I'm surprised Frankenstein hasn't heard these kinds of disclaimers more often as I've been hearing them all my life.Excellent point, thanks!
Nathair/|\ Posted April 9, 2010 Posted April 9, 2010 I often say, "I believe ___ provisionally with the understanding that I may be proven wrong someday." One example, I believe that Joseph F. Smith's famous couplet: "As man now is, so God once was; as God now is, so man may become." refers to Heavenly Father. That makes sense to me based on our eschatology of eternal progression and eternal families. However, pending a definitive account of the King Follet discourse and it's acceptance as cannonical, I am open to the idea that it refers to Jesus' mortal ministry.
Lars Umlaut Posted April 9, 2010 Posted April 9, 2010 ...Joseph F. Smith's famous couplet: "As man now is, so God once was; as God now is, so man may become."...Lorenzo Snow, not Joseph F. Smith.
BCSpace Posted April 9, 2010 Posted April 9, 2010 PS- I hope all of you gossipy chapel Mormons out there will forgive this little indulgence of mine, the indulgence of disclaiming omniscience. oops! I don't believe in the existence of a chapel/internet Mormon dichotomy.
lostindc Posted April 9, 2010 Posted April 9, 2010 I believe that:-polygamy is not going to be practiced in the next life-polygamy may have been a mistake-all will gain salvation-Mormonism is far from the only way too heaven aka celestial kingdom-Blacks not having the Priesthood was a huge and embarrassing error-the BOM may or may not be actual history but it is divinely inspired-Joseph Smith was highly inspired and a prophet
blackstrap Posted April 9, 2010 Posted April 9, 2010 I believe in the truth of the statement " not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we CAN imagine" To site Moses " now I know that man is nothing, which thing I had never supposed " To insult ants : an ant is to a man as a man is to God
Mudcat Posted April 9, 2010 Posted April 9, 2010 I'm not LDS, but I imagine if I was given good reason to convert.I would likely believe that atoning for sin and sacrificing yourself, like Christ did, would actually be part of being/becoming exalted, though it certainly may not be true.edit add - applicable to males only I would think
Facsimile 3 Posted April 9, 2010 Posted April 9, 2010 I believe there is potential progression between degrees of glory in the hereafter, though this belief may not be true. Indeed and Elder Talmage I think is with us as well.I don't know what to believe concerning the atonement of Jesus Christ extending to races of people in the vastness of the universe. Yet somehow I am able to continue on with life pretty well without being able to wrap my mind around it. I don't think just because an infant dies he gets to bypass the refiners fire an adult must pass through in mortality to gain the necessary experience and discipline over his tabernacled spirit (how this would work I'll leave up to your imagination). If the infant could automatically from death warp into exaltation (as some members seem to impress upon others) that would be a sad indictment on our lives after we turn 8 years old. We have the doctrine that all little children are alive in Christ and are not damned if they die before baptism (also that those who didn't have the truth are not damned either), but that doesn't translate over to me that they get a free ride (I'm sure they are still going to have to make some serious decisions on the other side that will further their progression or impede it).So when people say, "lucky kid, he died before he was accountable," I don't take them very seriously. Just like I don't take people seriously who say that little children are damned for dieing before being baptized (adults for that matter too). These are things people say to make their brains turn off.
the narrator Posted April 9, 2010 Posted April 9, 2010 Our friend frankenstein quoted someone as saying: Frankenstein responded:I couldn't find the original quote frank was referring to. Nevertheless, I think this would eb an interesting topic, and a chance for frank to increase his count. I doubled his count in this wise:I believe there is potential progression between degrees of glory in the hereafter, though this belief may not be true. Feel free to jump in.Apparently frankenstein was quoting page 76 of my element essay.*edit* I just read further down the thread and found it sourced
Nathair/|\ Posted April 19, 2010 Posted April 19, 2010 Lorenzo Snow, not Joseph F. Smith.Yeah, you're right. No excuse, sir.
Nathair/|\ Posted April 19, 2010 Posted April 19, 2010 I do not believe, in violation of all the evidence, that I should commit suicide. At least not strongly enough to actually do it.
mapman Posted April 19, 2010 Posted April 19, 2010 I believe in evolution and a limited flood, but I might be wrong.I believe that the priesthood ban was a tradition not inspired of God, but I might be wrong.
ttribe Posted April 19, 2010 Posted April 19, 2010 I believe in evolution and a limited flood, but I might be wrong.I believe that the priesthood ban was a tradition not inspired of God, but I might be wrong.X2
zeezrom Posted April 19, 2010 Posted April 19, 2010 I believe in God... though God may not be there, which I'm fine with because my belief will not create Him if I'm wrong.
Lamanite Posted April 19, 2010 Posted April 19, 2010 I believe in evolution and a limited flood, but I might be wrong.I believe that the priesthood ban was a tradition not inspired of God, but I might be wrong.You're not wrong. If anyone asks just use me as a reference. I've got all types of cred.Big UP!LamaniteP.S. I think the way you interpret the many facets of Plural marriage could use some tweaking. *wink* (the wink is meant to soften the blow of a serious statement. Apparently a *grin* or a *wink* at the end of a sentence means you can say anything you want. LOL
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.