Seriously No Politics ×

Corrupt General Authorities and Their Huge Salaries

Daniel Peterson

Over on the oddly-named "Recovery" board, which is far more bizarre, even, than my Malevolent Stalker's lair, some of the inmates are pooling their ignorance and hostility in a discussion of the "ginormous salaries and spend[ing?] accounts" that "guarantee and ensure" that General Authorities don't leave the Church like these self-styled heroic geniuses have: "If they were paid less, you'd probably see them leaving more often."

A principal exhibit in support of their case is "the reality behind the Boyd K. Packer estate." As one poster emits, "Seminary teachers/principals aren't paid jack, and this guy spent his whole 'career' in CES. Yet look at his estate. It's monstrous. I've seen it. You can't tell me he isn't paid for his apostleship."

I don't know what this particular Einstein may have seen, but I've been in President Packer's home, which sits at the end of a cul-de-sac in a reasonably average suburban neighborhood southward in the Salt Lake Valley. The home is nice enough, but not new, and anything but lavish. Relatively modest, I would say. Many of the homes in my own neighborhood are much larger.

I wonder where President Packer's "monstrous estate" might be? I lean toward the Planet Zarkon. I think the "Recovery" poster must have seen it during one of his abductions by aliens.

The Q15 could be a LOT richer by working a LOT less hours in the private sector.

However, it does make me curious where the billions of dollars go...

You think temples, church buildings, church materials, free scriptures, BYU, and humanitarian efforts are cheap? I sure don't.

It used to amaze me how hate-filled people can be and how easily blatant lying comes to them. It doesn't anymore, though. It's no surprise that these cretins often congregate at places like the recovery board, where the audience's itching ears stroke their egos and reinforce their self-delusion.

You think temples, church buildings, church materials, free scriptures, BYU, and humanitarian efforts are cheap? I sure don't.

Not to mention DCP's hush money ah . . salary. :P

Edited to add: AND all of those professional apologists.

The Q15 could be a LOT richer by working a LOT less hours in the private sector.

However, it does make me curious where the billions of dollars go...

How about in a bank. Who says it is spent or has to be spent.

For every temple built, for every chapel built, there are maintenance costs that include grounds, repairs, and ancilliary costs with electricity, materials, equipment, and in some cases infrastructure. For instance, building a chapel in the US would include connections to the electric and water grids.

In most third world countries such grids are often without the connections, so we must build them into the the chapel, not to mention transformers (I have seen spikes of over 200 volts come barrelling through a line). These areas require more maintenance than our churches in the states. Books and materials sent are also heavily taxed at borders with vat taxes attached as well as import taxes (in some cases over 100% of the value). Since the church does not dummy up an invoice in order to cheaply import (this I know), they often pay through the nose. The list of materials and maintenance costs goes on and on and grows with each building. It can be very expensive.

Using the assumption that General Authorities are likely the highest compensated individuals in the church from the financial statements I've seen they likely make a decent "executive level" income. Not Wall Street extravagant but decent.

However, I suspect that most of these men are taking a pay cut when they accept the position.

Phaedrus

Using the assumption that General Authorities are likely the highest compensated individuals in the church from the financial statements I've seen they likely make a decent "executive level" income. Not Wall Street extravagant but decent.

Can we define what "decent" means? Like a range or something?

However, I suspect that most of these men are taking a pay cut when they accept the position.

I think that's a fair assumption and appreciate your acknowledgment of that fact.

Over on the oddly-named "Recovery" board, which is far more bizarre, even, than my Malevolent Stalker's lair, some of the inmates are pooling their ignorance and hostility in a discussion of the "ginormous salaries and spend[ing?] accounts" that "guarantee and ensure" that General Authorities don't leave the Church like these self-styled heroic geniuses have: "If they were paid less, you'd probably see them leaving more often."

A principal exhibit in support of their case is "the reality behind the Boyd K. Packer estate." As one poster emits, "Seminary teachers/principals aren't paid jack, and this guy spent his whole 'career' in CES. Yet look at his estate. It's monstrous. I've seen it. You can't tell me he isn't paid for his apostleship."

I don't know what this particular Einstein may have seen, but I've been in President Packer's home, which sits at the end of a cul-de-sac in a reasonably average suburban neighborhood southward in the Salt Lake Valley. The home is nice enough, but not new, and anything but lavish. Relatively modest, I would say. Many of the homes in my own neighborhood are much larger.

I wonder where President Packer's "monstrous estate" might be? I lean toward the Planet Zarkon. I think the "Recovery" poster must have seen it during one of his abductions by aliens.

I noticed you avoided the question at hand. Have you seen Warren Buffet's home?

Oh I know were all of the money goes. The church spends billions of dollars every year to print it's history in an attempt to hide its own history from church members. Seriously. Soon the church will implode on itslef.

I am trying to remember where I learned this but I recall some book saying that when Ezra Taft Benson was called in 1943 his income was $25,000 doing whatever it was that he did and then when he became an Apostle the Church gave him $6,000. I also know that when Elder and Sister L. Whitney Clayton came here to do a mission tour Sister Clayton said that when he was an attorney living in California he made excellent money and had a very nice house and all the trimmings and then he got called to be a Seventy and had to move to South America to be in an Area Presidency and they got an apartment unit to live in. Lifestyles of the rich and famous.

I noticed you avoided the question at hand. Have you seen Warren Buffet's home?

You seem to have missed the point...the poster DCP is citing stated that President Packer lives in a massive estate...when he doesn't. That Warren Buffet lives rather modestly is beside the point that someone is either lying or mistaken about how President Packer leads his life.

Total compensation somewhere north of 170k US$ per year. How far above that I have no idea.

Phaedrus

I can go with that...now, first, I'm not sure their comp approaches $170K, but let's assume it does, that's $14,167/mo - take out 30% for taxes ($4,250; I'm being generous here), 10% for tithing ($1,417) - and you're left with $8,500. I'm going to assume that they have no house payment or car payment (again being generous). That leaves just over $102,000 per year to live on; not bad, but certainly not lavish (by any means). Now, each of these men has more than one child (granted they're all grown) and may provide some support from time to time to them. Take out monthly expenses for normal meals and life, etc. What you have left is nothing compared to executives of companies of comparable size...not even close.

Is this net or gross (as in including travel expenses, etc)? And references please.

A individuals' business expenses are not considered part of their compensation. As for references please seem my OP on this thread.

Edit: You may recall a year or two back I did a quick analysis of the 2005 UK financial statements the church. In that it were the details on the highly compensated individuals that fell under LDS UK.

Phaedrus

My Malevolent Stalker, who, as Talleyrand is supposed to have said about the exiled Bourbons of France, forgets nothing and learns nothing, has now weighed in on this issue:

"To most normal people," he declares, "it's obvious that Packer and the other GAs are rich." That would, of course, depend upon the definition of normal. I have no reason to believe that my Malevolent Stalker has had many personal encounters with normalcy.

The Packer home that I saw was a fairly ordinary suburban house in a fairly ordinary suburban neighborhood. Rich by Zimbabwean standards, no doubt, but (in my judgment) pretty squarely middle class by American standards.

My Malevolent Stalker, though, needs essentially no evidence from which to spin his yarns -- whether regarding me or President Packer.

I suspect, but cannot prove, that Phaedrus's estimate is high.

Actually, wealthy LDS members have much more lavish homes than General Authorities. GA's went to school, many retired a long time ago and made good money in their own businesses or through employment. I see nothing wrong with them having a nice home for their families or themselves. What's nice to one person is probably a luxury to another. "In my father's house there are many MANSIONS..." So,if we will get a mansion there (hopefully), what's wrong with having a mansion here, if you can afford it?

070906_BuffettHouseCNBC.standard.jpg

Warren Buffett's Home. Lavish, eh?

spelling_mansion_for_sale_la113.jpg

Aaron Spelling's (dead) 56000 sq ft home $150M price tag.

Joseph_Smith_1827-1830_Harmony_PA_Middle.jpg

Joseph Smith's Home

Gordon_Hinckley_home_1974-1985.jpg

Hinckley's home until 1985

monson_home.jpg

Thomas. S. Monson's Home

Spencer_Kimball_house_1947-1979.jpg

Spencer W. Kimball's Home

12-2100058747M.jpg

My Home

Archived