Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Man! That Was One ~great~ Steak!


Russ

Recommended Posts

Posted

T-Shirt,

Were the proceedings of this symposium published (was this the Sperry Symposium on the D&C)?

Unfortunately, no. It was a CES conference on the Doctrine & Covenants and Chruch History. I will have to check my notes at home to see if I can find out who the presenter was. This was several years ago.

T-Shirt

Posted

Russ,

I dont think you intentional forgot to reply to my post. Here it is again. THe main point is the WoW when it was originally given was not a commandment.

Yeppers, I'm aware that the WoW wasn't originally considered an LDS commandment.

But ya know sumpthin'? Whether it is or isn't it still contradicts my Bible.

And that's why I discard the WoW and the D&C in general as inspired.

Too many boo boos.

Posted

I guess it really is a non issue. Most members ignore that part of the Word of Wisdom anyway and just stick with our current leaders' interpretation on what's most important about it.

Yeah, no question of it.

The Lion House in downtown Salt Lake City serves up meat by the bushel in summer.

Some of the best ribs I've ever had.

(But what's up with all the soft drinks being of the unleaded variety?! I like the real thing. Good ol' fashioned Coca Cola.)

Posted

Yeppers, I'm aware that the WoW wasn't originally considered an LDS commandment.

But ya know sumpthin'? Whether it is or isn't it still contradicts my Bible.

Really? Now that I have shown how you have misunderstood section 89, can you show me where it contradicts the Bible?

T-Shirt

Posted

The Doctrine and Covenants is our scripture and the church is entitled to interpret it. Don't expect us to follow your interpretation of the Word of Wisdom, Russ. If it were wrong to eat meat in the Summer, the church would say something.

Also, I agree about the ribeye being the better steak. I got my brother a nice Spencer ribeye recently and he said it was the best steak he's ever had. I have had great luck with ribeyes turning out good. I find I need to marinate New York steaks.

Who's excited for Thanksgiving? I am! :P I prefer dark meat. What about you all?

DANG! You're making me hungry all over again.

I, however, as others on this thread, reject the Ribeye. (Heretical indeed!) New YORK is the only true steak on the face of the earth.

P.S. Your D&C states meat should be eaten only in times of famine or winter. That seems to me to be a legitimate interpretation of the passage. And it still contradicts my Bible.

Posted

P.S. Your D&C states meat should be eaten only in times of famine or winter. That seems to me to be a legitimate interpretation of the passage. And it still contradicts my Bible.

Did you read anything that I wrote?

T-Shirt

Posted

Did yo read anything that I wrote?

T-Shirt

Yep.

Did you read what I wrote?

Posted

Yep.

Did you read what I wrote?

So, even though you have been corrected, you will choose to interpret it your own way? Okay, if that makes you feel better.

I wish you well,

T-Shirt

Posted

:P

hmmm, wow can we go on and on and on....

I still liked the point that the bible contradicts itself....

but I also have noticed that no one has used any AOF's which would probably be apprapo at this point...

"We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God"

why do you insist on arguing this! you seem like an argumentative sort.... <_< are you?

Posted

So, even though you have been corrected, you will choose to interpret it your own way? Okay, if that makes you feel better.

I wish you well,

T-Shirt

Corrected? You think?

You sir/madam have ignored the portion of the passage which claims (on behalf of God) that meat if forbbiden unless in times of famine or cold.

And you have neglected to do as you should and align yourself with the Holy Bible which states no such things as the D&C.

You must accept one or the other. You can't have it both ways.

Posted

Corrected? You think?

You sir/madam have ignored the portion of the passage which claims (on behalf of God) that meat if forbbiden unless in times of famine or cold.

And you have neglected to do as you should and align yourself with the Holy Bible which states no such things as the D&C.

You must accept one or the other. You can't have it both ways.

Where is meat forbidden? I just see that (in the current version which might have rogue punctuation) that it is "pleasing unto me that they should not be used" except for in times of winter, cold or famine. This is still not making meat "forbidden" (especially when compared with D&C 49:18).

Once again, it isnâ??t this particular passage in D&C that isnâ??t aligned with the â??Holy Bible,â? it is your interpretation of it.

Posted

Yeppers, I'm aware that the WoW wasn't originally considered an LDS commandment.

But ya know sumpthin'? Whether it is or isn't it still contradicts my Bible.

And that's why I discard the WoW and the D&C in general as inspired.

Too many boo boos.

uh, IF it is not a commandment, and you are making it out to be one, then claim it condraticts your bible. I am now confused. How does a non commandment condratict the bible. Also it may be of interist to note than in the law of Moses pork was forbidden. Why was it?

Posted

Corrected? You think?

You sir/madam have ignored the portion of the passage which claims (on behalf of God) that meat if forbbiden unless in times of famine or cold.

And you have neglected to do as you should and align yourself with the Holy Bible which states no such things as the D&C.

You must accept one or the other. You can't have it both ways.

Russ, I guess we can go back to the sola scriptora ( im sure I spelled that right) I have never read any were in the bible that the bible is the only word of God and will be the only word of God. Please provide a refrence.

Posted

Corrected? You think?

You sir/madam have ignored the portion of the passage which claims (on behalf of God) that meat if forbbiden unless in times of famine or cold.

Huh? I have specifically addressed these verses and shown how they mean exactly the opposite of what you are trying to say.

And you have neglected to do as you should and align yourself with the Holy Bible which states no such things as the D&C.

You must accept one or the other. You can't have it both ways.

I accept both, and find no contradiction.

T-Shirt

Posted

Huh? I have specifically addressed these verses and shown how they mean exactly the opposite of what you are trying to say.

I don't see it.

I accept both, and find no contradiction.

T-Shirt

Posted

DANG! You're making me hungry all over again.

I, however, as others on this thread, reject the Ribeye. (Heretical indeed!) New YORK is the only true steak on the face of the earth.

P.S. Your D&C states meat should be eaten only in times of famine or winter. That seems to me to be a legitimate interpretation of the passage. And it still contradicts my Bible.

You're misreading it. It cracks me up when Evangelicals think their interpretation of the Bible is correct, but they also think they're better at interpreting The Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price better too.

And you are wrong about the New York steak. So there! :P Pbbbbbbbbbbbpt!!!!!!

Mola,

I was just at the store and they had beef ribs on sale for about $1.36 per pound. Do you think I could cook some well with just my oven? I don't have a grill. That seems like such a great deal and I've never cooked ribs. My husband keeps saying he's in the mood for ribs and I would love to surprise him. <_< I got some Yukon gold potatoes and some fresh broccoli. Those were on sale too.

Posted

Russ,

Do you ever read any reply to you that is more than 3 lines in length? We have addressed your complaint in various ways, all of them valid, yet you have responded to hardly any of them.

Sargon

Posted

The word of wisdom was originally given without commandent or constraint.

The meat part was given when animals meat amongst the early members was not as much as we have today. So if they killed animals for meet off season they could starve during the harder times. I doubt the New Testament meant eat meat at any time if such use would go against wisdom.

Posted

Mola,

I was just at the store and they had beef ribs on sale for about $1.36 per pound. Do you think I could cook some well with just my oven? I don't have a grill. That seems like such a great deal and I've never cooked ribs. My husband keeps saying he's in the mood for ribs and I would love to surprise him. :P I got some Yukon gold potatoes and some fresh broccoli. Those were on sale too.

THread derailed. HAHAHAHAHAHA! LOL! Sorry it is too funny. Ok

1st off that is a great deal. 2nd you dont need a flame grill ( though that does make for better ribs and steaks) 3rd Im probably not the best person to talk about makeing ribs, I actually love just tons of salt and some pepper and the season stuff you buy at red robin the burger joint. ( they might not have them in your neck of the woods) You can try cooking ribs in a crock pot so they are fall off the bone good. That is always a nice surpirse to get ribs. Yummy!

Posted

The word of wisdom was originally given without commandent or constraint.

I already addressed this, then Russ back peddaled abit and basically brushed it off. The Bible contraticts the WoW any way. Ok Russ, am I to just take your word on that. Were in the Bible does it just say eat meat all you want it doesnt matter. A condraticion is when it says some thing to the contrary. I see no verse. Please provide one. You have yet to do so on any thing I have requested.

Posted

THread derailed. HAHAHAHAHAHA! LOL! Sorry it is too funny. Ok

1st off that is a great deal. 2nd you dont need a flame grill ( though that does make for better ribs and steaks) 3rd Im probably not the best person to talk about makeing ribs, I actually love just tons of salt and some pepper and the season stuff you buy at red robin the burger joint. ( they might not have them in your neck of the woods) You can try cooking ribs in a crock pot so they are fall off the bone good. That is always a nice surpirse to get ribs. Yummy!

Crockpot! I never thought of that!

I think I'll run back to the store and put those in the crockpot tomorrow morning. Yum! :P Thanks for the tips.

Posted

I don't see it.

What is the difference between these two statements?:

1 - I prefer that you not sing Christmas songs only in December.

2- I prefer that you not sing Christmas songs, only in December.

The comma in number two limits the time during which Christmas songs can be sung, whereas the lack of a comma in number one allows the singing of Christmas songs at any time.

The fact that the comma in the current version of the D&C was not present in the original is not an insignificant thing when trying to make sense of this.

Do you see it yet?

T-Shirt

Posted

My wife just cooked up some maahhvellouss baked potatoes and boiled corn while I stepped outside to grill a couple of perfect medium well New York strips. I got lucky that they came out perfect. Mmmm, mmm, goooooddd!! Dang, that was one good steak. But I got to thunkin'...

D&C 89 states meat should only be used in times of famine or winter.

But our Bibles tells us that meat is okay any time of year. All things in moderation.

This section of the D&C just doesn't align with our Bibles.

Which one should I believe? The D&C or my Bible?

Gotta go with the Bible...again.

*drools* aaaawwwgghhh, I love STEAK!

Every Sunday is always FAMILY STEAK NIGHT just like Mondays are Family Night. I will never forget that succulent aroma, coming home from church. As for its conflict with scripture, we've never had a problem with it. Its only on Sundays and of course there are the meager chunks of various meats here and there we'll have throughout the week. I mean I can't LIVE each day without at least some meat in my meals. Its alot better than taking Iron pills!

Posted

1 Timothy 4:3 talks about false teachers commanding abstain from meats." But D.&C. 89 does not command abstaing from meats. Only to not kill them before they are needed. It doesn't prevent various forms of meat preservation being used. One could eat meat at any time of the year.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...