Seriously No Politics ×

LDS Church will send 2 Apostles to the Inauguration

3 hours ago, Duncan said:

you think he won't talk to his sons about his business stuff for all that time, not even once? How will anybody know? he isn't forthcoming with his tax returns and it seems now he is proclaiming newspeople as fake news, which is fitting I suppose as that is what got him elected

I watched that news conference. The CNN guy was a boorish jerk. He would have deserved to have been thrown out.

2 hours ago, Sky said:

I don't have a problem with two apostles of the Church attending Trump's inauguration.  There is nothing unique about that, and the same thing was done for Obama and many other U.S. presidents.  They are just doing their job.  

I personally view this as a separate issue from the Mormon Tabernacle Choir performing at the inauguration.  I still stand with Jan Chamberlin and her right to stand up for what she believes in and make a public statement.   

Donald Trump continues to have me very worried for our country.  That's not the news media's fault.  He said what he said.  I am going to try to pray for him and hope that it makes a difference.  That's all I can do right now.  

I will also continue to protest loudly his actions that I don't feel are right!  

Um, there is nothing unique about the Tabernacle Choir performing at an inauguration either. They are just doing their job, as you say the apostles are who are going there.

For the umpteenth time, what is objectionable about Jan Chamberlin's behavior is not standing up for what she believes in but making a public spectacle in doing it, subjecting the Church and the choir to rampant hatred.

2 hours ago, BlueDreams said:

That is in no means a blind trust or much of a separation to say the least.

I don't know what you would expect him to do.
A

nd for the bold, how do you mean? These are new conflicts, particularly when it comes to Russia. They were there-ish, but they're becoming far more fleshed out recently. Issues that both republicans and democrats are concerned about but that Trump is poo-poohing down.

Funny thing is, they didn't seem to care about it back when they believed the fake news that there was no way Trump could win the election. Now, all of a sudden it's a big issue. Rather transparent hypocrisy, that.

But to be fair, there was was one thing I was happy about with Trump recently. Him calling out the Republicans from secretly gutting the ethics committee. Through twitter. Definitely not perfect. It's still weird to me when I'm reading an article on NYT's or some other source and it states things like "president-elect tweeted....such and such (usually ending with the phrase, so sad, huge, etc)....on serious international/national issues." But still....one thing.

Maybe you'll get used to it after a while. It could be observed that Trump is communicating with the medium of [ahem] the millennials.

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

http://www.mormonnewsroom.com.gh/

Ghana just had their election and i'm happy that the Church sent at least a letter, maybe they'll send a leader next time!

What an unseemly and thoughtless insult against Elder Marcus B. Nash, General Authority Seventy, who delivered the letter in person.

Besides, did it occur to you that people of other nations might not want American dignitaries, including Church leaders, grabbing headlines pertaining to their internal politics in a big way.

Reminds me of when Obama honored Paul McCartney with the Gershwin Prize at the Library of Congress. Paul took the occasion to do some inappropriate bashing of President George W. Bush.

Now I've been a huge fan of the Beatles and Paul since I was 10 years old and I saw their appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964. But when he was there in Washington bashing Bush, I wanted to shout that he could go back where he came from and quit nosing in on our internal affairs.

Just now, Scott Lloyd said:

I don't know what you would expect him to do.
A

Funny thing is, they didn't seem to care about it back when they believed the fake news that there was no way Trump could win the election. Now, all of a sudden it's a big issue. Rather transparent hypocrisy, that.

Maybe you'll get used to it after a while. It could be observed that Trump is communicating with the medium of [ahem] the millennials.

it's because there was and still and will be a billion scandals Trump is involved in that in literally any other country he would have been thrown out off (I hope he gets thrown out without any violence) but how he got this far is beyond any comprehension. He thought it was rigged until he won................Hypocrisy is second nature to Trump and why the Church is getting dragged into it I don't know

7 minutes ago, Duncan said:

the US President is accountable to the news people or am I mistaken?

You are mistaken in a big way.

The U.S. president is accountable to the people of the United States.

Traditionally, the most effective way to reach them is through the news media, and they are granted access, for the most part, under that assumption. But the president can find other ways to do it, circumventing the media, if possible. Bill Clinton and, to some extent, Barack Obama tried to do that through town hall meetings.

One thing is clear. The president owes no deference to individual news media organizations and is free to ignore them if he deems it wise to do so. An no cable TV network weasel is entitled to act like a jerk, yelling non-stop at a press conference trying to bully the president into recognizing him for a question. And if he does it again, he can and should be thrown out.

2 minutes ago, Duncan said:

it's because there was and still and will be a billion scandals Trump is involved in that in literally any other country he would have been thrown out off (I hope he gets thrown out without any violence) but how he got this far is beyond any comprehension. He thought it was rigged until he won................Hypocrisy is second nature to Trump and why the Church is getting dragged into it I don't know

He won in spite of it being rigged.

For one thing, the national news media brazenly discarded any pretense of non-partisanship, fairness or objectivity. Their behavior was deplorable and highly unprofessional.

What an unseemly and thoughtless insult against Elder Marcus B. Nash, General Authority Seventy, who delivered the letter in person.

Besides, did it occur to you that people of other nations might not want American dignitaries, including Church leaders, grabbing headlines pertaining to their internal politics in a big way.

Reminds me of when Obama honored Paul McCartney with the Gershwin Prize at the Library of Congress. Paul took the occasion to do some inappropriate bashing of President George W. Bush.

Now I've been a huge fan of the Beatles and Paul since I was 10 years old and I saw their appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964. But when he was there in Washington bashing Bush, I wanted to shout that he could go back where he came from and quit nosing in on our internal affairs.

I am happy he gave it to them!!!! that's the issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trump can do whatever he wants and probably will but why attach the Church's name to all this? That Americans aren't terribly welcome in other countries isn't a new concept, it's sad but it's how it is. Try wearing an American flag outside in the world, it's sad but you won't get a good reception. There's appropriate bashing of Pres. Bush?!

You are mistaken in a big way.

The U.S. president is accountable to the people of the United States.

Traditionally, the most effective way to reach them is through the news media, and they are granted access, for the most part, under that assumption. But the president can find other ways to do it, circumventing the media, if possible. Bill Clinton and, to some extent, Barack Obama tried to do that through town hall meetings.

One thing is clear. The president owes no deference to individual news media organizations and is free to ignore them if he deems it wise to do so. An no cable TV network weasel is entitled to act like a jerk, yelling non-stop at a press conference trying to bully the president into recognizing him for a question. And if he does it again, he can and should be thrown out.

and Trump et al will suffer the consequences in the news. If Trump had half a brain he'd just answer the question but Trump doesn't know how to do that.

He won in spite of it being rigged.

For one thing, the national news media brazenly discarded any pretense of non-partisanship, fairness or objectivity. Their behavior was deplorable and highly unprofessional.

who told you it was rigged? the media? Russians rigged it, not Clinton, and support Trump and now are making him look more the fool-they set him up and now he is being taken down and probably will continue

24 minutes ago, Duncan said:

Russians rigged it

Please explain exactly how the Russians rigged the election.  People keep claiming that but it's never made any sense to me.

And if they did rig it, how could our Intelligence Services have allowed that to happen?  Are they really that incompetent?

24 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Um, there is nothing unique about the Tabernacle Choir performing at an inauguration either. They are just doing their job, as you say the apostles are who are going there.

For the umpteenth time, what is objectionable about Jan Chamberlin's behavior is not standing up for what she believes in but making a public spectacle in doing it, subjecting the Church and the choir to rampant hatred.

You know what Scott, I just simply disagree with you on this.  

We keep going in circles and we are not getting anywhere.  

And I don't have to ageee with you!  I continue to stand by my position.  

I don't give any deference Donald Trump!  Sorry, but not sorry.  He has not demonstrated that he is prepared for the job.  Neither has he demonstrated that he is trying to unite all of the country together and repair the hurt and divisions that he alone has caused.  He has not shown that he is ready or willing to be the president of all of us!  

He barely even won legitimately.   He got 2 million + fewer votes than his opponent, and he acts like he has a mandate to do whatever he wants, like taking away health insurance from 20 million people.  These are the facts.  Deal with it!  A lot of people are rightly upset!  We are not just going to shut up and go away!  The opposition to Donald Trump is just beginning!  And it will be vocal and fierce!  

And there are arguments out there out there that make a case that the Choir's inaugural performances are not completely nonpartisan.  Arguments that, to me, have merit.  

Like it or not, this seems to be a largely Utah Republican Church.  The boundaries between the LDS Church and Utah Republican politics are sometimes very blurry, which is one reason why I choose not to live in Utah.  

Who might be partly responsible for that perception?  

This issue cuts deeper than simply Jan Chamberlin making a public spectacle, who happened to be only one member of the Choir.  This has been festering for years.

I know where I stand.  Time to say enough is enough!   

Just now, oremites said:

Please explain exactly how the Russians rigged the election.  People keep claiming that but it's never made any sense to me.

And if they did rig it, how could our Intelligence Services have allowed that to happen?  Are they really that incompetent?

That's what they are finding out now, Comey is up next in the chopping block as to how it is supposed to have happened-nobody is infallible and Trump is so delusional he can't tell one thing from another

4 hours ago, ERayR said:

As I said above it was Hilary Clinton's corruption and scandals that elected Trump.

I don't disagree. I still don't see how that's relevant for his current approval rating. Like I said, and as Scott pointed out, the election is over. He's still going down, even among people who voted for him. The man needs to ditch his Twitter, act diplomatic, and ditch his business. Sorry, turning it over to your sons is not distancing yourself from the business. Oh, and those papers he had on the table? Turns out they were largely blank props.

21 minutes ago, Duncan said:

That's what they are finding out now

So you're sure the Russians rigged the most important election in the country but nobody knows what they actually did that made any difference to the outcome?  Color me skeptical.

Anyway, were you aware Ukraine rigged the election for Hillary?  http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/ukraine-sabotage-trump-backfire-233446

So can we say the Ukraine "rigging" and the Russian "rigging" balanced each other out?

2 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I watched that news conference. The CNN guy was a boorish jerk. He would have deserved to have been thrown out.

He was basically putting Trump on notice that it will be a long four years.  He is daring them to do something about it, where he can play the victim card, OR he will continue to run roughshod over these press conferences.  This was a very deliberate tactic.

I think he/the press corps is in for an unpleasant surprise.

9 hours ago, Duncan said:

They need more influence in the world,I think it would do good for public perception if we want more converts. If they have time for this they have time for the Pope's inauguration, even if they sat at the McDonald's across the Street from the Vatican, it' be fine:lol:

Have you been paying attention to apostles' travels that much so that you know for sure who they did and did not meet?  

When we were in Moscow, we heard about a number of meetings of Seventies and others with the Russian government due to half our little branch being people who worked for the Embassy.  We heard the tale of how Russia was opened, lot of stuff happened behind the scenes because that was the best way to influence without repercussions (given a huge nationalistic attitude among Russians, especially in the Orthodox Church).

9 hours ago, thesometimesaint said:

We can't pretend other governments don't exist either. Are we a Church or a political fan club for one country?

Have you been studying up on this as well so you can say for sure Church leaders have not been attending government functions outside the US?

I was instructed many years ago as an educator that I must always remember that as the students entered the classroom at the first of the year , that I got what I got ! My job was to take each student and do my best to improve their level of education as best I could. Well, the American people got what they got. They can spend the next 4 years complaining and nitpicking or they can work to take what they got and make of it the best they can. If that means praying for a bad case of laryngitis and arthritic thumbs ...

20 minutes ago, oremites said:

So you're sure the Russians rigged the most important election in the country but nobody knows what they actually did that made any difference to the outcome?  Color me skeptical.

Anyway, were you aware Ukraine rigged the election for Hillary?  http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/ukraine-sabotage-trump-backfire-233446

So can we say the Ukraine "rigging" and the Russian "rigging" balanced each other out?

You sound like Trump

your country not mine!

8 hours ago, halconero said:

And now has the lowest incoming approval rating coming into office of any president-elect before him (he's at 37% and tanking, with the next highest being George HW Bush at 51%) with one of the widest popular vote gaps in US history.

Which would seem to suggest that people weren't voting for him, but against Clinton.