Seriously No Politics ×

Article claims that it's a Utah Mormon's religious duty to water their grass.

19 minutes ago, Rain said:

Hmm. We do a lot of grocery pick up for newly arriving refugees.  Few stores have halal meat for Muslims so I end up getting a lot of fish. This makes me wonder for those that have been in refugee camps and have not had much meat how that might affect them.  We do give them lots eggs, beans and peanut butter too. Well lots compared to what I think most people here eat.

I think you can research which types are lowest in mercury and maybe try for those types if they are available. 

3 hours ago, BlueDreams said:

In terms of health, Fish and bird are both relatively healthy compared to other forms of meat. I found an article that listed out the varying meats by health: 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/from-fish-to-bacon-a-ranking-of-meats-in-order-of-healthiness/2019/07/02/2de2dce0-9435-11e9-aadb-74e6b2b46f6a_story.html

the list is at the bottom. 

What's equally important in terms of health is portion size. Americans tend to overestimate just how much meat should be incorporated in a diet.  

In terms of sustainability, that's extremely variable. Any meat would still include smaller portions and preferably include sustainable practices in animal rearing or hunting. A majority of major meat industry practices don't fit that currently...though it is growing. These are generally pricier sources of meat/egg/dairy. 

With luv,

BD 

I was very surprised after watching this YouTube just now. I thought for sure this would be a very unhealthy diet to eat meat only for 13 years! It takes about 4 to 5 minutes until it gets to the jist of the story. 

1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

I was very surprised after watching this YouTube just now. I thought for sure this would be a very unhealthy diet to eat meat only for 13 years! It takes about 4 to 5 minutes until it gets to the jist of the story. 

It still is unhealthy in aggregate....whether over time or in large scale populations. For example, it's telling that no blue zone population has a meat heavy diet. (blue zones are populations with longer lifespans). Quite the opposite.

You can have benefits to this as shown by these two, particularly in the short term. You may do better on this as well short term since most people going on this or other meat heavy diets aren't just letting go of "carbs" but moreso letting go of ultra processed food for less processed meals. BUT there are still significant concerns that come from meat heavy diets because our bodies do not run best on meat heavy diets. It simply not how our bodies are built. And the research shows this ambivalence....where there may be greater health reported but there are underlying concerns also showing up, such as significantly higher LDL rates (aka, bad cholesterol), risks of cancers, disrupted gut biome, etc. Short term it includes problems ranging from inflammation, disrupted sleep, indigestion, etc. It may be more effective for super specific disorders and health problems most people simply don't have. 

And again this diet is not just unhealthy in humans as a lifestyle it's also super costly and completely unsustainable if adopted by a larger subset than people who try it as a fad diet for a few months. As a whole you can have a handful of anectdotal successes while it also being a major deficit health-wise for most humans and the planet as a whole. 

With luv,

BD

Edited by BlueDreams
6 hours ago, BlueDreams said:

Yeah I question that. I can imagine certain forms of "conservation" may be. But I see others that would definitely reduce water use. It wouldn't be sufficient for what's needed without removing some current water use, but Numbers I've seen still point to a reduction to some degree. The thing I've seen mentioned most isn't complete retirement but a system of rotational fallowing. Which would still likely lead to retirement or (longer term) switching out to more desert friend staples and methods of farming.

It all depends on what you mean by conservation. Your are right that rotational fallowing or planting less consumptive crops reduces water depletion. Many people think that switching from flood irrigation to sprinklers or lining/piping open canals will reduce consumption and that's what they think of when they talk conservation. These things actually lead to more consumption, though.

I 'm old enough to remember when a couple of eggs for breakfast was considered good for you. Later it was suggested to cut back to a couple of eggs a week. Then suddenly eggs were BAD and no one should eat them. Now, well eggs are OK again and part of a healthy diet. I would love to trust nutrition science but the goal posts keep moving on any diet. Paleo, Mediterranean, Attkins , all /only beef, high carb, low carb. , vegan , pick your poison. What with weed killer, GMOs, hormones etc. we don't stand a chance anyway!

57 minutes ago, BlueDreams said:

It still is unhealthy in aggregate....whether over time or in large scale populations. For example, it's telling that no blue zone population has a meat heavy diet. (blue zones are populations with longer lifespans). Quite the opposite.

You can have benefits to this as shown by these two, particularly in the short term. You may do better on this as well short term since most people going on this or other meat heavy diets aren't just letting go of "carbs" but moreso letting go of ultra processed food for less processed meals. BUT there are still significant concerns that come from meat heavy diets because our bodies do not run best on meat heavy diets. It simply not how our bodies are built. And the research shows this ambivalence....where there may be greater health reported but there are underlying concerns also showing up, such as significantly higher LDL rates (aka, bad cholesterol), risks of cancers, disrupted gut biome, etc. Short term it includes problems ranging from inflammation, disrupted sleep, indigestion, etc. It may be more effective for super specific disorders and health problems most people simply don't have. 

And again this diet is not just unhealthy in humans as a lifestyle it's also super costly and completely unsustainable if adopted by a larger subset than people who try it as a fad diet for a few months. As a whole you can have a handful of anectdotal successes while it also being a major deficit health-wise for most humans and the planet as a whole. 

With luv,

BD

That's what I thought too. 

19 hours ago, blackstrap said:

I 'm old enough to remember when a couple of eggs for breakfast was considered good for you. Later it was suggested to cut back to a couple of eggs a week. Then suddenly eggs were BAD and no one should eat them. Now, well eggs are OK again and part of a healthy diet. I would love to trust nutrition science but the goal posts keep moving on any diet. Paleo, Mediterranean, Attkins , all /only beef, high carb, low carb. , vegan , pick your poison. What with weed killer, GMOs, hormones etc. we don't stand a chance anyway!

On 9/26/2022 at 2:24 PM, Teancum said:

God knows there is not rain and could have sent it if he wanted.

I am reminded of a passage in the Book of Mormon when the Lord came to the brother of Jared and "chastened him because he remembered not to call upon the name of the Lord."  

We also have the figurative reminder that Christ stands at the door and knocks, but it's up to us to open the door.  Popularly illustrated as follows:

jesus_at_the_door-small.gif.38b614803c1229384c442e74334ae579.gif  We also hear a lot of admonitions to "ask", "pray" and "faith precedes the miracle".   

All of which leads me to believe that "asking" isn't about informing God what we need -- it's something we need to do for our own sake or simply because it has to be done before Heavenly Father can intercede on our behalf.  It might be part of the whole "agency contract" that we agreed on up in the pre-existence. Or it might be part of the eternal godly rules that Heavenly Father follows.   Even if it's just a simple matter of parenting (letting your children ask for help before you leap in and do everything for them), it seems like a consistent procedure that appears over and over in scriptures and in personal lives. 

"It doesn't hurt to ask" seems to be particularly true when it comes to God.  He may have innumerable reasons for not granting a request, but asking seems to come with blessings that go beyond a specific request. 

I also think there are some instances where you need a lot of people, all praying together for the same thing, before a blessing can be granted. It might be necessary to indicate that a group of people are prepared to accept a blessing, or a way of building the "one heart, one mind" that we seek in the gospel. One person, or even one ward may simply not be enough "one heart, one mind" in some situations.  Like you know, half the  ward may be praying for rain, while the other half is rolling their eyes and talking about rain being cyclical.  😁

• 3 weeks later...

Saw this today and thought it was a good contrast to what the Guardian's reporting could (and should) have been. 

With luv,

BD

Edited by BlueDreams
36 minutes ago, BlueDreams said:

Saw this day and thought it was a good contrast to what the Guardian's reporting could (and should) have been. 

With luv,

BD

Layton has put in or is currently putting in three new car washes since last year. And two are literally right next to each other (they share a property line).  What the heck??  How is that not a huge waste of water for the city?