Seriously No Politics ×

Best Pizza Chain?

On 6/16/2022 at 2:57 PM, Tacenda said:

Well, I'm proud you admitted to liking pineapple on pizza, it seems that it's a controversial thing to do, haha...put fruit on pizza. But I'm with ya, love the Hawaiian and many other varieties. 

I love my pineapple fried with my ham steak.  Soooo Good!

52 minutes ago, bluebell said:

This made me laugh because we have a friend who is a huge foodie and he bought a pizza oven this year and it's been one disaster after another.

It was a disaster, my husband's hair most likely got singed. I bought some dough from Winco and my kids each got to make their own. Little did I know those dough balls at Winco, are pretty big and each of their pizzas were too thick and we should have cut them in fourths. The toppings were great, but the firing them in the pizza oven, a different story. My husband was at the pizza oven stressing over the temperature and burning the pizza's. He was trying to get the "cheetah" affect things didn't go well. We need to try it again, after the trauma wears off, lol.

12 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

It was a disaster, my husband's hair most likely got singed. I bought some dough from Winco and my kids each got to make their own. Little did I know those dough balls at Winco, are pretty big and each of their pizzas were too thick and we should have cut them in fourths. The toppings were great, but the firing them in the pizza oven, a different story. My husband was at the pizza oven stressing over the temperature and burning the pizza's. He was trying to get the "cheetah" affect things didn't go well. We need to try it again, after the trauma wears off, lol.

:lol:

2 hours ago, Tacenda said:

So I can’t see what WinCo offers until I sign up with them.  Are they a good store?  They are right by one of my doctors that I and my daughter have tons of appointments at right now while they figure out our treatments, so my husband could save time by shopping there instead waiting in the office if it is decent.

Edited by Calm

Good pizza is all about the dough.

Around here, I would say that the most reliable place tends to be Mr. Jim's - though I think it's mostly a Texas chain, so maybe that doesn't count.

As far as national chains go, I tend to prefer Papa Johns.

Still, in all my years since college, I have yet to find a place that comes close to matching the absolute goodness that was produced by Pizza Pipeline.

Their actual pizzas were just okay, but those tricky stix... 🤤

1 minute ago, Calm said:

So I can’t see what WinCo offers until I sign up with them.  Are they a good store?  They are right by one of my doctors so my husband could save time by shopping there instead eating in the office if it is decent.

I like their produce the best. But their soda pop is a little higher than Smith's. I think it has some good perks as well, such as good deli items and frozen food as well. But I can't seem to quit going to my go-to, Smith's. So I go on occasion. But like Ream's use to be, their produce is the best value, in my estimation. And WinCo is employee'd owned, so that's why they don't print out weekly ads, I guess because of the cost. I throw my ads out anyway and no longer take the time to look them over, maybe I should! I think your husband may enjoy shopping there as it is a little different than your average store, where you pack your own groceries and have to be pretty quick, haha. 

I saw this link and clicked, it even had the pizza dough available:

https://www.wincofoods.com/store-events#%2F

7 minutes ago, Calm said:

So I can’t see what WinCo offers until I sign up with them.  Are they a good store?  They are right by one of my doctors that I and my daughter have tons of appointments at right now while they figure out our treatments, so my husband could save time by shopping there instead waiting in the office if it is decent.

Winco is a regular grocery store and you don't need a membership or anything.  You just walk on it.  

We have one in my area and I like it.  They have a ton of stuff (much more than the neighborhood walmart) and when my local walmart is out of stuff then I have always been able to find it at Winco.  Plus I like their bulk candy; they have some fun options.  And a pretty good bakery and cheese section.

2 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Winco is a regular grocery store and you don't need a membership or anything.  You just walk on it.  

We have one in my area and I like it.  They have a ton of stuff (much more than the neighborhood walmart) and when my local walmart is out of stuff then I have always been able to find it at Winco.  Plus I like their bulk candy; they have some fun options.  And a pretty good bakery and cheese section.

Good comments here, I forgot about the bakery, and from remembrance it has good meat prices and it's more like your local butcher scene. 

I really need to get out of my habit of going to Smith's in Layton, haha.

Just now, Tacenda said:

Good comments here, I forgot about the bakery, and from remembrance it has good meat prices and it's more like your local butcher scene. 

I really need to get out of my habit of going to Smith's in Layton, haha.

Smith's is technically closer to me than Winco (I live off of Fairfield) but I can never find anything there, and it seems kind of pricey.  Though I've heard awesome things about their olive bar.  I keep meaning to try it. 

1 minute ago, bluebell said:

Smith's is technically closer to me than Winco (I live off of Fairfield) but I can never find anything there, and it seems kind of pricey.  Though I've heard awesome things about their olive bar.  I keep meaning to try it. 

I'm bad, terrible bad, because I shop where my addiction is, and that is horrible, diet dr. pepper. I do recycle the 2 liter bottles and called the recycling center that gathers our bins and verified that they do recycle soda 2 liter plastic bottles, but still need to kick the habit. WinCo is closer to me, I live off Layton Parkway. I really should go back there. :)

4 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I'm bad, terrible bad, because I shop where my addiction is, and that is horrible, diet dr. pepper. I do recycle the 2 liter bottles and called the recycling center that gathers our bins and verified that they do recycle soda 2 liter plastic bottles, but still need to kick the habit. WinCo is closer to me, I live off Layton Parkway. I really should go back there. :)

You will get no shame from me.  We are a Coke zero household! 

Though we buy cans.

53 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Smith’s olive bar is tasty, also has some fun cheeses….got a horseradish cheddar iirc awhile back that was sweet and some of the sushi is enjoyable enough if tasting pretty much the same whatever it is, but since I am now low salt, that’s out and no one else in the family is into that kind of stuff much, save my daughter in law…and she prefers to buy exactly what she wants or make it herself.  She made me some low salt cucumber kimchi that was delicious.  Once the house gets all the way put back together (and it is over halfway there with four rooms done and 3ish more to go, but it is often the last fussy details and repairs that take longest to get done), I plan to get experimental again with cooking because there are only so many ways I can combine my low salt salad fixings without getting bored.  Got an induction hot plate, juicer, bread maker, and dehydrator I need to play with (the last two are my husband’s new hobby, but I want to see what I can come up with).  And I really want to find a healthy sushi I can make myself for quickie meals for my daughter.  She does not eat well, but that is next on the list after migraine meds…which insurance is making us try all the less effective ones first.

So Win Co is better than Smith’s…good to know as my husband usually shops there and Costco.  Maybe next time we don’t have my daughter along, we will go after the doctor’s and I will just take an extra Advil. ;) And I will now break down and give them my email info so I can access their online catalog.

Edited by Calm
2 minutes ago, Calm said:

Their olive bar is tasty, but since I am now low salt, that’s out and no one else in the family is into that kind of stuff much, save my daughter in law…and she prefers to buy exactly what she wants.

So better than Smith’s…good to know as my husband usually shops there and Costco.

I shop almost exclusively at our neighborhood walmart because it's only a couple of blocks from my house AND because of their free online ordering and pick up option that means I don't even have to get out of my car.  I also do a Costco run once a week for their milk and whatever other bulk items I'm out of.

If I'm making dinner and I need something fast, then the neighborhood walmart is my go-to, but if need something any other time I'll drive all the way across town to the winco every time.  

32 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I shop almost exclusively at our neighborhood walmart because it's only a couple of blocks from my house AND because of their free online ordering and pick up option that means I don't even have to get out of my car.  I also do a Costco run once a week for their milk and whatever other bulk items I'm out of.

If I'm making dinner and I need something fast, then the neighborhood walmart is my go-to, but if need something any other time I'll drive all the way across town to the winco every time.  

When I could drive, Walmart and occasionally Costco for their dumplings, applesauce packets (my daughter’s low blood sugar backup), and a few other favorites was my routine with a rare Ream’s if I wanted to try something different with vegetables or fruit like star fruit, but for some reason my husband went off Walmart and he does all the shopping now.  I keep trying to talk him into delivery to save him time as it’s unlimited from Walmart for $100 a year (last I checked).  We may go that route when he goes back to work this fall though and no longer has as much time ( rather than waiting for retirement in two years as originally planned, he took a semester off as he never took sick leave in 20 years and we needed the house cleaned out, shifted around and rejuvenated for medical purposes…my health has been suffering in part due to stress from less than fully functional, no longer that enjoyable, high maintenance surroundings…. and he wouldn’t get the sick leave pay as a bonus when he retired, but just lose it and he needed an emotional break too with all the hassle of the last couple of years).

If Win Co is that good, hopefully we will get one down here soon as a 40 minute drive to the store is a bit much.

Edited by Calm