Masons

poptart

7 minutes ago, strappinglad said:

No conflict. Some have seen similarities between Mormon temple rites and Mason rites . Joseph Smith was a Mason as were many of his contemporaries .

Thanks.  Wouldn't it make sense that there would be similarities?  Unless Joseph Smith's revelations were VERY specific it would seem natural Masonic ritual would seep in to fill the gaps.  Another possibility is the origin of Masonic ritual.  Where did it come from?  Could it have come from the same place as Temple ritual origination?  If the Temple ritual is a restoration of what it once was at the beginning, would it be possible Masons adopted some of it in their ritual?

6 hours ago, BRMC said:

I'm an investigator and a Mason.  Is there a conflict between the two that I don't know about?

Check your inbox

26 minutes ago, hagoth7 said:

http://candlestickstudio.com/files/Freemasonry.pdf

A few thoughts on how masonic origins have a Nephite connection.

I've been curious about that too, I can't help but think something like that would only fly in the states where they're the most liberal about religion.  In parts of Europe before you can even join a blue lodge you have to be a Trinitarian so that automatically rules out the LDS faithful.  Add in the connection via the final York Rite body and things get even more interesting.  That's something I'll give the LDS, even the ones I know IRL have said similar things and try to get along.  Meanwhile Catholics here who have no idea about the reasoning behind the papal bull and the fact that the Pope still commands the faithful to practice Agape is still mind blowing.   Reminds me the reason why most join an organized religion, material and social comforts,  in the states anyway. 

Edited by poptart
7 hours ago, poptart said:

Check your inbox

I've been curious about that too, I can't help but think something like that would only fly in the states where they're the most liberal about religion.  In parts of Europe before you can even join a blue lodge you have to be a Trinitarian so that automatically rules out the LDS faithful.  Add in the connection via the final York Rite body and things get even more interesting.  That's something I'll give the LDS, even the ones I know IRL have said similar things and try to get along.  Meanwhile Catholics here who have no idea about the reasoning behind the papal bull and the fact that the Pope still commands the faithful to practice Agape is still mind blowing.   Reminds me the reason why most join an organized religion, material and social comforts,  in the states anyway. 

To what papal bull do you refer, Poptart? I am aware that the Church has condemned Freemasonry in the past. Not so much lately. I have never heard of Agape practice. Maybe you can fill me in on Agape practice. It seems I need catechized!

16 minutes ago, 3DOP said:

To what papal bull do you refer, Poptart? I am aware that the Church has condemned Freemasonry in the past. Not so much lately. I have never heard of Agape practice. Maybe you can fill me in on Agape practice. It seems I need catechized!

What started it all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_eminenti_apostolatus

and this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congregation_for_the_Doctrine_of_the_Faith

Aaaand finally this.  Everyone this side of the pond thinks Pope Francis is being lenient on things, in this matter, he isn't. 

http://catholicism.org/pope-francis-had-ordered-a-purge-of-freemasons-from-knights-of-malta.html

One of the priests from St. Leo's Parish in Tacoma is an interesting guy, his grandfather was a 32 degree Scottish rite Mason and not only married into the church, was buried in a Catholic Cemetary, a big no no by catholic standards, or so he said.  This is just something i've seen, people here in the states will go out of their way to screw someone if they're mad and the legal system here makes it all too easy.  This of course blows up in their face later on in life as we are seeing now, no one can get along and many of the young parents out there now who were probably equally nasty as the protestors nowadays are freaking out because they have young children.  Now its dawning on them that the screw you, i've got mine attitude is going to bite their kids in the backside like it's already bitten many others isn't the best policy in life.  Agape is awesome in my opinion, it pretty much sums up Christs original commandment and what the early church was founded on.  Contoversy aside, from what I saw when I was in Europe and from my Swiss family people over there still practice what they preach quite a bit more.  A lot to be said from places like Germany where businesses are closed by law on Sunday and its easier to get an abortion in Texas than there.  I'm of the opinion that it will take something very ugly for the people here to wake up, when the Holy Father himself speaks infront of congress in English and no one really listens?  That's a bad sign.  Who knows, the USA may need something like their own version of the 30 years war to wake up, if that's what it takes, then that's what it takes.

Edited by poptart

I'm joining the Masons in about a month or two. The local Lodge just voted to accept me last week. I also recently applied to join the Odd Fellows, and I've been a member of Ordo Templi Orientis for around five years.