Life without Internet

I had a new experience this week, my internet has been wonky, I went three days with nothing and it has been fits and starts since. I have no expectations that I will have it after posting this.  Five calls to Frontier hasn't done anything so I am looking at the only other provider we have in my area.  Frustration and prematurely using up my phone data aside, it is an enlightening experience. I found myself planning to do stuff that hasn't been getting done, like cleaning out rooms. Then when the internet came on, I'd be streaming the series I was trying to binge. It really brought home that it wasn't just a matter of wasting time, it sucked my energy and drive. Scary stuff, actually. 

What have your experiences been when freed from the beast?

I haven't been without internet at home in years, so i can't even say what wonders i might accomplish with its absence.  Whenever we go on vacation though, i'm not usually online much if at all.  And time spent camping is typically days of quitting cold turkey.  I don't really miss it. :)  

On July 1, 2017 at 3:23 PM, juliann said:

I had a new experience this week, my internet has been wonky, I went three days with nothing and it has been fits and starts since. I have no expectations that I will have it after posting this.  Five calls to Frontier hasn't done anything so I am looking at the only other provider we have in my area.  Frustration and prematurely using up my phone data aside, it is an enlightening experience. I found myself planning to do stuff that hasn't been getting done, like cleaning out rooms. Then when the internet came on, I'd be streaming the series I was trying to binge. It really brought home that it wasn't just a matter of wasting time, it sucked my energy and drive. Scary stuff, actually. 

What have your experiences been when freed from the beast?

The Gospel as found in the scriptures, instead of the Internet version. :) 

I had FIOS for years with almost no issues, the day Frontier took over I started having problems.Finally dumped them.

I got a lot of reading done when the internet was down.

To be fair, I grew up before: internet, personal computers, video recording and microwaves. I also had 4 channels of TV growing up and with me being the youngest in the family had to get up and change channels - manually. I also had to move the antenna if necessary to get a clearer picture on the 13" black and white TV.

6 hours ago, mnn727 said:

I had FIOS for years with almost no issues, the day Frontier took over I started having problems.Finally dumped them.

I got a lot of reading done when the internet was down.

To be fair, I grew up before: internet, personal computers, video recording and microwaves. I also had 4 channels of TV growing up and with me being the youngest in the family had to get up and change channels - manually. I also had to move the antenna if necessary to get a clearer picture on the 13" black and white TV.

I remember those times... my sis and I chuckle often about all the changes we've lived to see... it truly is incredible...

GG