Family Home Evening Ideas

Tiffany

I really hope I am allowed to post questions like this and am posting in the right place if not im sorry beforehand. I was wondering if anyone would mind sharing some ideas or things they do for their family home evenings. What the best one was that they had and what they do for regular average ones. 

One just turned five and the baby just turned one. My husband is atheist but possibly open to learning so I'd like to find ideas or inspiration to introduce the teachings to all of them in a way that feels relaxed but super informative and  fun.  

What a blessing and challenge!  First of all, just want to say how much I envy you.  Those young years with my kids were the best ever!!  Enjoy and love each moment ..they grow so fast!  A lot depends on the level of compromise you have and your husband has with your own differences.  Stories..any activity that shares a perspective of gospel teachings.  Your day to day examples will be the best.  But with your five year old..maybe learning to share or give surprises to people you know who are in need.  Talk about posting some goals that will bring the family together..It has been so long for me.  I am probably not much help.  There are games to play and just being together and make it a habit.  Good luck to you.  I am sure others here will have more inspiring ideas...but hey...DESSERT is KEY!!  Make your own ice cream..and call all the ingredients..love, compassion and faith.

Edited by Jeanne

This link has ideas plus a link to the FHE Resource Guide, which I believe has been the same for 40 years or so...that will be helpul in teaching doctrine.  The Gospel Principles manual (gave that link in other thread) could help with lesson planning or given the age and the probability that your husband would appreciate keeping the doctrine very brief, you might want to use the Gospel Fundamentals manual (looking for that) instead for doctrine planning:

https://www.lds.org/children/resources/type/fhe-ideas?lang=eng

Scripture Story coloring book :

https://www.lds.org/bc/content/shared/content/english/pdf/language-materials/13225_eng.pdf?lang=eng

If you prefer hard copies of books, the Scripture Story set are cheap, around $7 a piece.  This may not take you to it, can't remember if they do session expires or not, but this is supposed to link to the D&C version and it should have the others below:

https://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product3_715839595_10557__-1__195764

The Coloring Book is also available through th store for 85 cents.

There is also a Family History coloring book:

https://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product3_715839595_10557__-1__195764

Primary lessons can also have good ideas, plus coloring pages, dot to dot and other activities.  If you get the Friend, which is iirc 20 dollarsa year, that can have ideas in it as well, including Sharing Time which if your kids don't go to Primary, can usually be easily adapted for home.

Resources for children here:  https://www.lds.org/children?lang=eng

If you haven't already, I would encourage exploring lds.org as the resources can be quite extensive...their media library can provide videos and pictures, the music can help with teaching songs (it used to play the different parts, don't know if it still does, but you and your husband could try hatmonizing) off the top of my head.

When my children were younger I belonged in a FHE group. We each would come up with a FHE lesson. And get together quarterly or monthly (?) and disperse them. I had many, many packets after that, sadly I gave them all away a couple of years. But came to realize the best FHE's were where there wasn't a lot of pressure and we just enjoyed one another's company. Of course, this is when I had children that didn't like FHE.

A few stand out...one that you put a child in the center of the room and everyone says what they like about that child. Or, one around New Year's Eve, you write down what you did the previous year, and make goals for the coming year. Each year you pull out the information from the previous year to see if they came into fruition. This was okay I guess, since I'm not a big goal maker.  Another one was sharing stories of their ancestors. Also, one where we made a cake and the recipe were scriptures, where we read the scripture and in it was the recipe item, something like that.  

I wish I was more help. But maybe seeking out those in your ward's opinion, or put together a group of women with young children that need ideas too. Oh, just thought of something. A lot of LDS go on Pinterest, I'll bet you'll see tons of ideas there!

I found that acting out things was well recieved.  Once we acted out a scripture story using stuffed animals.  Other times the kids would act them out.  One time we did the tree of life.  We put fruit in a tree or something, can't remember what.  Had water going to the tree along with a rod of iron etc.

If you are in an area that has justserve.org you can pick projects from it and do that for an activity.  There are not a lot in our area that has things for your kid's ages, but there are a couple, but there are a load of things that can be done from home - making cards, blankets etc.  Or doing a drive.  

I posted on facebook about doing a cell phone drive that I found on Just Serve.  Or you can put fliers on your neighborhood door.s The organization uses working, not working and even broken phones, sells them and then uses the money for children in Africa.   You do that and then take your family around the neighborhood/ward for FHE.  

1 hour ago, Jeanne said:

What a blessing and challenge!  First of all, just want to say how much I envy you.  Those young years with my kids were the best ever!!  Enjoy and love each moment ..they grow so fast!  A lot depends on the level of compromise you have and your husband has with your own differences.  Stories..any activity that shares a perspective of gospel teachings.  Your day to day examples will be the best.  But with your five year old..maybe learning to share or give surprises to people you know who are in need.  Talk about posting some goals that will bring the family together..It has been so long for me.  I am probably not much help.  There are games to play and just being together and make it a habit.  Good luck to you.  I am sure others here will have more inspiring ideas...but hey...DESSERT is KEY!!  Make your own ice cream..and call all the ingredients..love, compassion and faith.

Thank you very much, those are really great points to begin with. My kids are my everything, my life didn't start until I had them, so yes it is very challenging but you are right, its so very important to feel the gratefulness for them essepcially these precious first years. Desert is a great idea, I love any  excuse to bake and the ingredients you suggest are wonderful, my five year old will get a kick out of that when I tell her what the cheesecake or whatnot we make is made out of!  Thank you! 

For that age, I just used the gospel in art picture kit*, told the story from the back of the pictures, set up copies so we could play match it after doing several weeks of stories with the pictures, and acted out the story.   But the structure of FHE was always song, prayer, scripture (replaced nightly scripture reading) complements for members, lesson (5 minutes long for a 5 year old, never longer than 20 minutes  unless kids propelled it longer, which didn't often happen and was more frequent when all were teens), song, prayer (incl blessing on refreshments) activity and refreshments (try to let children in on helping to make it).  

*If you live in mormonland, ask the older mothers if any have one of the old version that came in the blue box that you could use or buy from them -- the digital versions of the pictures can be downloaded here  but they don't have the stories in simple language on them like the hard copies did.   https://www.lds.org/media-library/images/categories/gospel-art-kit?lang=eng

Yeah, lot of websites out there you can google.  Here is one, though some of the video links and others may not work:

http://www.funtasticfamilyhomeevenings.com/

A few sites may even have picked up the name and goal but not be lds (I have heard nonLds relate they have started doing the same, sometimes in a church group), they likely have great ideas, but depending on what is being taught might have something that differs somewhat from lds teachings.

This site is a store, but has free ideas that don't require purchase:

http://www.mormonshare.com/fhe/100-fhe-ideas.php

http://www.ldssplash.com/fhe/fhe_lessons/family_home_evening_lessons.htm

I have seen members do blogs, so it might be worthwhile if you have time to wander around and see if there is one blogger that really appeals to you.

http://www.ldsdaily.com/home-and-family/fhe-lessons/

6 minutes ago, Tiffany said:

Thank you very much, those are really great points to begin with. My kids are my everything, my life didn't start until I had them, so yes it is very challenging but you are right, its so very important to feel the gratefulness for them essepcially these precious first years. Desert is a great idea, I love any  excuse to bake and the ingredients you suggest are wonderful, my five year old will get a kick out of that when I tell her what the cheesecake or whatnot we make is made out of!  Thank you! 

Hey...kids look good in cookie dough!:P

2 hours ago, Jeanne said:

This from the woman who works in a bakery! ;)

I agree, I envy those with young children, I'd go back and change a few things, not saying you would Jeanne. But always want to shake people that think their children are going to be young forever, and feel it's drudgery. I'm an emptynester now, sad to see those years go by so fast. 

2 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

This from the woman who works in a bakery! ;)

I agree, I envy those with young children, I'd go back and change a few things, not saying you would Jeanne. But always want to shake people that think their children are going to be young forever, and feel it's drudgery. I'm an emptynester now, sad to see those years go by so fast. 

When I was little..the big deal about FHE was who was in charge of the DESSERT!  When it was my brothers turn..we had weird stuff...;)

2 hours ago, Tacenda said:

When my children were younger I belonged in a FHE group. We each would come up with a FHE lesson. And get together quarterly or monthly (?) and disperse them. I had many, many packets after that, sadly I gave them all away a couple of years. But came to realize the best FHE's were where there wasn't a lot of pressure and we just enjoyed one another's company. Of course, this is when I had children that didn't like FHE.

A few stand out...one that you put a child in the center of the room and everyone says what they like about that child. Or, one around New Year's Eve, you write down what you did the previous year, and make goals for the coming year. Each year you pull out the information from the previous year to see if they came into fruition. This was okay I guess, since I'm not a big goal maker.  Another one was sharing stories of their ancestors. Also, one where we made a cake and the recipe were scriptures, where we read the scripture and in it was the recipe item, something like that.  

I wish I was more help. But maybe seeking out those in your ward's opinion, or put together a group of women with young children that need ideas too. Oh, just thought of something. A lot of LDS go on Pinterest, I'll bet you'll see tons of ideas there!

Pintetest! What a fantastic idea! Thank you. Wonderful suggestions.

2 hours ago, Rain said:

I found that acting out things was well recieved.  Once we acted out a scripture story using stuffed animals.  Other times the kids would act them out.  One time we did the tree of life.  We put fruit in a tree or something, can't remember what.  Had water going to the tree along with a rod of iron etc.

If you are in an area that has justserve.org you can pick projects from it and do that for an activity.  There are not a lot in our area that has things for your kid's ages, but there are a couple, but there are a load of things that can be done from home - making cards, blankets etc.  Or doing a drive.  

I posted on facebook about doing a cell phone drive that I found on Just Serve.  Or you can put fliers on your neighborhood door.s The organization uses working, not working and even broken phones, sells them and then uses the money for children in Africa.   You do that and then take your family around the neighborhood/ward for FHE.  

Wow! I'll definitely look into serve.org that is so cool! Exactly what my family needs too. I hope its in my area I suspect it is as i live in a very big city. I love the idea of acting out scriptures and lessons, the kids will really respond to that, heck I think me and my husband will as well! 😄 Thank you! 

2 hours ago, rpn said:

For that age, I just used the gospel in art picture kit*, told the story from the back of the pictures, set up copies so we could play match it after doing several weeks of stories with the pictures, and acted out the story.   But the structure of FHE was always song, prayer, scripture (replaced nightly scripture reading) complements for members, lesson (5 minutes long for a 5 year old, never longer than 20 minutes  unless kids propelled it longer, which didn't often happen and was more frequent when all were teens), song, prayer (incl blessing on refreshments) activity and refreshments (try to let children in on helping to make it).  

*If you live in mormonland, ask the older mothers if any have one of the old version that came in the blue box that you could use or buy from them -- the digital versions of the pictures can be downloaded here  but they don't have the stories in simple language on them like the hard copies did.   https://www.lds.org/media-library/images/categories/gospel-art-kit?lang=eng

Thanks, I like that idea of matching, my five year Okdvrwally loves matching games so that us a very useful idea with promising applications. She will really enjoy that! 

2 hours ago, Calm said:

Yeah, lot of websites out there you can google.  Here is one, though some of the video links and others may not work:

http://www.funtasticfamilyhomeevenings.com/

A few sites may even have picked up the name and goal but not be lds (I have heard nonLds relate they have started doing the same, sometimes in a church group), they likely have great ideas, but depending on what is being taught might have something that differs somewhat from lds teachings.

This site is a store, but has free ideas that don't require purchase:

http://www.mormonshare.com/fhe/100-fhe-ideas.php

http://www.ldssplash.com/fhe/fhe_lessons/family_home_evening_lessons.htm

I have seen members do blogs, so it might be worthwhile if you have time to wander around and see if there is one blogger that really appeals to you.

http://www.ldsdaily.com/home-and-family/fhe-lessons/

OK I will check it out, thanks! I would hope others even not lds would give FHE a chance because it's a really great idea.

2 hours ago, Tiffany said:

Wow! I'll definitely look into serve.org that is so cool! Exactly what my family needs too. I hope its in my area I suspect it is as i live in a very big city. I love the idea of acting out scriptures and lessons, the kids will really respond to that, heck I think me and my husband will as well! 😄 Thank you! 

Don't forget the just part of justserve.org. this is a gift from the church to the community but is for everyone - it is just a way too connect charitable organizations with volunteers.  If you haven't heard of it then it is possible it isn't in your area yet.  The church is rolling it out piece by piece, but I've found some people just haven't heard of it yet for one reason or another so it is always good to check to see I'd there are projects in your area.  If you don't find any you can register and say you want notifications sent to your email and those notices will start to come there as they get to your area. 

Edited by Rain
8 hours ago, Rain said:

Don't forget the just part of justserve.org. this is a gift from the church to the community but is for everyone - it is just a way too connect charitable organizations with volunteers.  If you haven't heard of it then it is possible it isn't in your area yet.  The church is rolling it out piece by piece, but I've found some people just haven't heard of it yet for one reason or another so it is always good to check to see I'd there are projects in your area.  If you don't find any you can register and say you want notifications sent to your email and those notices will start to come there as they get to your area. 

Yes thank you. I looked it up and found a lot going on.