Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

How Much of a Person is Really Them?


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

The other night I had an idea for a horror story: a person undergoing a terrible lifelong feud realises they are exactly the same as their enemy except for genes and circumstance. The same person, just different variables, makes up every human on earth. So when we get to know another we're getting to know us in a different stream of events.


It may be scary to contemplate the idea that one does not have a soul, but imo this particular exercise is useful. After all, soul or not, genes and conditions do play such enormous roles that it is important to understand them and, I think, consider their potentially overwhelming power.

 

Another thing to consider about this prospect: our original "substance" may be so similar to make us almost indistinguishable in the beginning, but then our earthly choices so formative that we truly are becoming much more than we were. 

 

Do you find this prospect disturbing? Comforting? Irrelevant? Interesting?

 

What about each one of us matters the very most in a cosmic sense?

Edited by Meadowchik
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Meadowchik said:

The other night I had an idea for a story: a person undergoing a terrible lifelong feud realises they are exactly the same as their enemy except for genes and circumstance. The same person, just different variables, makes up every human on earth. So when we get to know another we're getting to know us in a different stream of events.

I don't think this is as far-fetched as it looks at first glance.  I edited out the word "horror", because with that word removed, you have a potentially very interesting insight into the injunction to "love your neighbor as yourself".  

As for the question of "how much of a person is really them?", using your example here, I would say everything that pulls these two to see one another as enemies is not part of who they really are.  . 

 

Edited by Eek!
Posted

Some, especially mothers in my experience, would say that each of their children, even though they come from the same DNA set and the same type of upbringing, often have personalities that are quite different and unique relative to the others.  For my wife, that is evidence to her of a pre-mortal existence where personalities belonging to each spirit developed.  What do I think?  I think that is not an unreasonable assumption.

Posted
2 minutes ago, BCSpace said:

Some, especially mothers in my experience, would say that each of their children, even though they come from the same DNA set and the same type of upbringing, often have personalities that are quite different and unique relative to the others.  For my wife, that is evidence to her of a pre-mortal existence where personalities belonging to each spirit developed.  What do I think?  I think that is not an unreasonable assumption.

I have boy-girl twins and it's been so interesting seeing their differences while even at the same age.

But all my children are very different, starting with appearance, despite being born from the same parents.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Eek! said:

I don't think this is as far-fetched as it looks at first glance.  I edited out the word "horror", because with that word removed, you have a potentially very interesting insight into the injunction to "love your neighbor as yourself".  

As for the question of "how much of a person is really them?", using your example here, I would say everything that makes these two see one another as enemies is not part of who they really are.  . 

 

Yep, it is interesting. Also it gives new meaning to the concept of coming to Earth to be tested.

So it wouldn't be bothersome to you if true, then?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Meadowchik said:

So it wouldn't be bothersome to you if true, then?

Quite the contrary; I think it is possible that we really are one, but most parts of us haven't yet begun to entertain the idea. 

From Section 38 of the Doctrine and Covenants, quoting from Verses 16 and 27:  "All flesh is mine... if ye are not one, ye are not mine."

If the premise "if ye are not one, ye are not mine" is valid, and if the condition "all flesh is mine" exists, assuming that includes us, then the logical conclusion is, we are one.  And those beliefs, prejudices, perceptions, animosities, distinctions, and judgments that say otherwise are arguably not part of who we really are. 

In other words, I think you knocked it out of the park. 

Edited by Eek!
Posted
1 hour ago, Eek! said:

Quite the contrary; I think it is possible that we really are one, but most parts of us haven't yet begun to entertain the idea. 

From Section 38 of the Doctrine and Covenants, quoting from Verses 16 and 27:  "All flesh is mine... if ye are not one, ye are not mine."

If the premise "if ye are not one, ye are not mine" is valid, and if the condition "all flesh is mine" exists, assuming that includes us, then the logical conclusion is, we are one.  And those beliefs, prejudices, perceptions, animosities, distinctions, and judgments that say otherwise are arguably not part of who we really are. 

In other words, I think you knocked it out of the park. 

It's fascinating,  the concept of being both all one and each an individual.  Not unlike the Godhead.

:)

Posted

The more righteous people are the more different they become through Christ. If you slip into wickedness your life, opinions, and the like are all pretty easily traced to your environment and background. Real saints seem to grow more gloriously different in their unity as time passes. What we see in this life is only the beginning of true personhood. After this it just keeps getting better.

Heaven is diversity but not the petty diversities here of culture, entertainment choices, political views, occupations, and hobbies.

We will be united but each exalted brother and sister will be unique and worth getting to know.

Posted
On 5/24/2016 at 9:34 PM, Meadowchik said:

What about each one of us matters the very most in a cosmic sense?

The choices we make.

Posted

So much earthly stuff gets in the way of our ability to see even mere things, let alone people, as they really are: time and distance, limits on human perception, cognition, and other tools we use to perceive and to attempt to make sense of what's around us, emotions (and behavioral disorders) and other things that potentially distort our perception, and so on. That's why the injunction to at least try to see others as the Savior sees them is so important.  And so we might pass on to the other side and meet people we thought we had figured out and had dismissed in this life, only to realize, "Hey, that person looks familiar, but that can't be the same person I thought I had figured out, had prejudged, and [unwisely, mistakenly] had dismissed ... can it?" :huh: (Surprise! ;)) 

Posted
7 hours ago, The Nehor said:

The more righteous people are the more different they become through Christ. If you slip into wickedness your life, opinions, and the like are all pretty easily traced to your environment and background. Real saints seem to grow more gloriously different in their unity as time passes. What we see in this life is only the beginning of true personhood. After this it just keeps getting better.

Heaven is diversity but not the petty diversities here of culture, entertainment choices, political views, occupations, and hobbies.

We will be united but each exalted brother and sister will be unique and worth getting to know.

I agree! I would just specify righteousness as faith-filled. Spiritual growth occurs through spiritual reaching, or faith. Meaning, it's out beyond the comfort zone, more than just going through the correct motions, and only God will know because He sees our hearts.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...