Teaching in the Savior's Way

The 13301 is the id number, iirc the 000 means the English version...been a few years since ward librarian and going off memory, but the last three digits are always language related.  Usually the first number (1 in this case) relates to format, but that got mixed up once they started recycling id numbers and it wadn't so obvious.  Will do more exploring.

Not finding anything that says it is going to be available in hardcopy unless you want to print it up yourself.  The 2016 curriculum instructions talks about limiting orders for printed material and encouraging digital use so wouldn't be surprised if they keep it purely digital.  Otoh, I just included in the weekly ward bulletin for sacrament meeting what is apparently a churchwide request to disconnect one's mobile devices when at church because too heavy use, including automatic connection just because one has connected up to church's wifi in the past. It is interfering with family history classes.

I realize (now) that since I'm a teacher (Primary) I actually received an e-mail directly from the Church about this new manual!  But because I'm so "awesome," I only glanced at it before deleting it.

The Deseret News is reporting about it as well.  See here.  As noted in the article, the Church made a video introducing the new manual--here.  (I haven't watched it yet, so maybe it makes clear whether it will be available in print form or not.)

Edited by Okrahomer
1 hour ago, Calm said:

Not finding anything that says it is going to be available in hardcopy unless you want to print it up yourself.  The 2016 curriculum instructions talks about limiting orders for printed material and encouraging digital use so wouldn't be surprised if they keep it purely digital.  Otoh, I just included in the weekly ward bulletin for sacrament meeting what is apparently a churchwide request to disconnect one's mobile devices when at church because too heavy use, including automatic connection just because one has connected up to church's wifi in the past. It is interfering with family history classes.

The church really needs to upgrade the wifi at its chapels. 

I've skimmed the manual. Looks interesting. It's geared towards teachers so not really part of my "pay grade" so to speak. My Deseret News Twitter feed is how I came to hear of this. My first impression was that it was a revamped set of Missionary discussions.

5 hours ago, bluebell said:

The church really needs to upgrade the wifi at its chapels. 

Why? Most people shouldn't need wifi at church. I really think church money would be ill-spent making sure We can connect with 50 tablets and 150 phones on Sunday. Church lesson materials can be stored locally and that is enough.

10 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Why? Most people shouldn't need wifi at church. I really think church money would be ill-spent making sure We can connect with 50 tablets and 150 phones on Sunday. Church lesson materials can be stored locally and that is enough.

Because the church wants Youth teachers to include videos in their lessons, but most of the time there isn't enough bandwidth to actually watch them, especially when there are 3 wards using the building at the same time.

24 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Because the church wants Youth teachers to include videos in their lessons, but most of the time there isn't enough bandwidth to actually watch them, especially when there are 3 wards using the building at the same time.

This is true.

26 minutes ago, bluebell said:

You can download them. 

14 minutes ago, stemelbow said:

You can download them. 

Not every device has enough memory to download one.  And sometimes, due to changes in plans, the decision to show one doesn't happen until everyone's already at the building. 

It's kind of a pain sometimes. And then add on things like family history and it gets really screwy.  Even without all that our church building struggles to live stream stake conference half the time.

The church has such a presence online and uses the Internet so much that it seems like common sense that it needs to update its internet availability at the church in some areas. 

18 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Not every device has enough memory to download one.  And sometimes, due to changes in plans, the decision to show one doesn't happen until everyone's already at the building. 

It's kind of a pain sometimes. And then add on things like family history and it gets really screwy.  Even without all that our church building struggles to live stream stake conference half the time.

The church has such a presence online and uses the Internet so much that it seems like common sense that it needs to update its internet availability at the church in some areas. 

I can think it can work with a little planning.  It's not likely that all teachers, nor all classes, need last minute videos to stream for their lessons, and it's possible to get a little thumb drive to download a video onto.  But I am for better stuff.  I like better, quicker internet. 

The problem is internationally it's not the same.  typical band width here is not even possible in some areas of the world, where membership is strong and growing--like in Africa.  Try using Familysearch in Nigeria, for instance.  I hear it can take upwards of 30 minutes to navigate from page to page.  They probably have no choice but to download videos if they plan to use them and the download time is likely ridiculous.  It might be better for the Church to help invest in other parts of the world before the US of A and Canada.