Provo City Center Temple Dedication

Okrahomer

We just returned from the dedication.  I'm so grateful for the experience--it seemed like we were participating in something that was both modern as well as ancient.  I appreciated Elder Oaks' clear instruction and teaching, and really enjoyed the talks--especially Sister Ostergar's touching personal history.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865650516/Provo-City-Center-Temple-to-be-dedicated-as-150th-temple-of-the-LDS-Church.html

https://www.lds.org/church/events/provo-city-center-temple-open-house-and-dedication?lang=eng

Edited by Okrahomer
Added DN link

We missed it.

Despite having been at church every Sunday for the past month somehow neither my husband nor I realized that everyone was expected to go to the dedication because regular church was canceled. So, we didn't get tickets and instead have been stuck at home having a very boring Sunday. 

I'm really wondering why they cancelled church for the whole valley though?   That hasn't happened for any other valley temple dedications since we've been here. 

There is a three pm session.  That is the one I am going to.  You could try calling your bishop or any of his councilors for tickets.

But iirc, all you need is a current temple recommend to get in.

Tickets are for those with no current recommend.  I got one because I didn't realize mine was expired and couldn't get the stake president sig's in time.  Anyone 8 and up can attend with either a temple dedication recommend or temp,e recommend according to the info I got from our stake and put in the bulletin.  Don't forget a white hankerchief.

Edited by Calm
1 minute ago, Calm said:

Ask your kids if they want parental supervision or sibling supervision for a couple of hours. :P

They've already watched the babies Saturday night and Friday night. They aren't allowed to play in their rooms or anything when they do so, and no dumb cartoons allowed on Sunday's, so asking them to babysit again right when the babies wake up from their naps and will need diaper changing, afternoon snacks, and entertaining, so their dad and I can go get spiritual fed seems a little mean. 

20 hours ago, bluebell said:

They've already watched the babies Saturday night and Friday night. They aren't allowed to play in their rooms or anything when they do so, and no dumb cartoons allowed on Sunday's, so asking them to babysit again right when the babies wake up from their naps and will need diaper changing, afternoon snacks, and entertaining, so their dad and I can go get spiritual fed seems a little mean. 

Excuses, excuses. ;)

I'm glad I've attended the Bountiful temple dedication on site, so I don't feel to out of the loop.  Didn't know one could get a ticket if their temple recommend is expired.  Good to know if there is ever a time I feel inclined to go.  

Bluebell, if you'd get to know me in real life your kids could have come over to our house for a couple of hours. :)

The  temple dedication recommend info should have been put in your bulletins.  What else are you missing out on?!  :ph34r:

I don't know if the questions for a dedication recommend are any different than for a regular recommend interview as I got my regular recommend done at the same time.  

48 minutes ago, Calm said:

The  temple dedication recommend info should have been put in your bulletins.  What else are you missing out on?!  :ph34r:

This is actually what annoys me the most.  You'd think that if church was going to be cancelled completely that they would make it a point to make that as clear as possible.  But i know for 3 Sundays i listened for clarification on that during the opening announcements and they never said that it wouldn't be held.  That's what led me to assume that when i'd heard otherwise in passing in the hall that i must have heard wrong.  Our bishopric is really nice, but they are pretty new so maybe that had sometime to do with it, i'm not sure.

These are the times when living in Utah is a little weird.  They assume that everyone has past experience with some things when that's not the case.  

7 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Our bishopric is really nice, but they are pretty new so maybe that had sometime to do with it, i'm not sure.

This was probably the main problem.  I've observed that new members of the bishopric, especially if they don't have food notes written down about what announcements to make, can really struggle.

16 minutes ago, bluebell said:

This is actually what annoys me the most.  You'd think that if church was going to be cancelled completely that they would make it a point to make that as clear as possible.  But i know for 3 Sundays i listened for clarification on that during the opening announcements and they never said that it wouldn't be held.  That's what led me to assume that when i'd heard otherwise in passing in the hall that i must have heard wrong.  Our bishopric is really nice, but they are pretty new so maybe that had sometime to do with it, i'm not sure.

These are the times when living in Utah is a little weird.  They assume that everyone has past experience with some things when that's not the case.  

Check out your stake newsletter on lds.org to see if they put the announcements there so your bulletin person thinks it is unnecessary.  Doesn't help with ward stuff, but should have stuff like the free conferences, the face to face stuff, temple announcements etc.  All my info comes from the stake person who posts it online as well.

On my bulletin, I try to include all the stake info though it means announcements are in size 10 Arial Narrow font and even some for rhe singles ward size 9 font.  But I get everything in eventually, including missionary addresses, birthdays, primary assignments and anything the stake sends my way.  I just get annoyed when I hear major ward announcements across the pulpit that never get sent to me.  

I even post the blood drives, literacy programs, and local preparedness classes, including one about how to slaughter a pig.  

If this info isn't being posted, you might want to complain

My bishopric doesn't generally announce all the stake info stuff though that may be because they have such a great bulletin person who squeezes in all the info (save the family history class info detail on classes like who is teaching and class info because the title describes it enough and if you need the topic then who teaches it isn't really important and you can check online for more details...feel a little guilty but would need an extra half sheet with that and using truncated dates and not the best grammar at times to fit everything in is enough of a sacrifice).  Still not announcing cancellation is really weird.

On 3/21/2016 at 1:43 PM, ksfisher said:

This was probably the main problem.  I've observed that new members of the bishopric, especially if they don't have food notes written down about what announcements to make, can really struggle.

Food notes are of the utmost important! ;)

The new South-Provo temple is beautiful... I have many fond memories of attending Stake Conference and choral performances there. 

The fire was tragic... so glad the church decided to preserve the beauty of the building, even if I can't visit like I used to.