Robert F. Smith Posted February 24, 2016 Posted February 24, 2016 (edited) Michelle Rindels (Associated Press), “Mormons could shape Nevada caucuses, even absent Romney,” Yahoo News, Feb 23, 2016, online at http://news.yahoo.com/mormons-could-shape-nevada-caucuses-even-absent-romney-192429163--election.html , Quote Mormons "were expected to wield an outsized influence Tuesday after some prodding from the pulpit and after influential Mormons in the state took sides, mostly for Florida Sen. Marco Rubio. Lt. Gov. Mark Hutchison, an active member of the church, is chairman of Rubio's Nevada campaign. Rubio was part of the church for a few childhood years when he lived in Las Vegas and has relatives who still belong. One, Mo Denis, a state senator, is his cousin. Rubio now is a practicing Roman Catholic and his supporters say he shares a religious commitment and values that transcend denominational barriers." Edited February 24, 2016 by Robert F. Smith
ALarson Posted February 24, 2016 Posted February 24, 2016 22 minutes ago, thesometimesaint said: Rubio is not a LDS. It sounds like he was baptized and has never asked to have his name removed, so he is most likely technically still a Mormon. http://archive.sltrib.com/story.php?ref=/sltrib/news/54325018-78/rubio-church-family-faith.html.csp Quote One thing is clear, Roig-Franzia writes, the Rubio family never asked to be removed from the LDS rolls, "meaning they may still be counted as Mormons by the church."
thesometimesaint Posted February 24, 2016 Posted February 24, 2016 (edited) Show me what you do and I 'll know what you believe. I have nothing against the Catholics. But it is a non sequitur to claim that Rubio is LDS when he is an active Catholic. IIRC some of the Catholics have the same policy as Once a Catholic; Always a Catholic. Edited February 24, 2016 by thesometimesaint
thesometimesaint Posted February 24, 2016 Posted February 24, 2016 7 minutes ago, Jeanne said: All in all..why does this even matter? It doesn't to me. But some like to make it an issue to bash the LDS.
Jeanne Posted February 24, 2016 Posted February 24, 2016 4 minutes ago, thesometimesaint said: It doesn't to me. But some like to make it an issue to bash the LDS. The man is who he is...running for President now has nothing to do with religion..though I don't care for Romney back in the day..I cam understand some concerns but overall..I like to keep politics and religion separate. Of course, I live in Utard..
Robert F. Smith Posted February 24, 2016 Author Posted February 24, 2016 7 minutes ago, Jeanne said: The man is who he is...running for President now has nothing to do with religion..though I don't care for Romney back in the day..I cam understand some concerns but overall..I like to keep politics and religion separate. Of course, I live in Utard.. Does Utah suffer from bipolar disorder, and should we prescribe anti-psychotic meds?
thesometimesaint Posted February 24, 2016 Posted February 24, 2016 (edited) 50 minutes ago, Jeanne said: The man is who he is...running for President now has nothing to do with religion..though I don't care for Romney back in the day..I cam understand some concerns but overall..I like to keep politics and religion separate. Of course, I live in Utard.. I'm not a fan of Rubio, and don't give two hoots in a hollow about his religion whatever it was or is. Same with Romney. I like to keep them separate too. But I believe it is impossible to separate our religion from who we are. I have relatives in Utah. They are very nice people, but I, myself, didn't like living there. Too many Mormons and not enough Latter-day Saints. Edited February 24, 2016 by thesometimesaint 1
strappinglad Posted February 24, 2016 Posted February 24, 2016 From the results at appears Mormon influence isn't what it used to be.
TheSkepticChristian Posted February 25, 2016 Posted February 25, 2016 20 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said: Michelle Rindels (Associated Press), “Mormons could shape Nevada caucuses, even absent Romney,” Yahoo News, Feb 23, 2016, online at http://news.yahoo.com/mormons-could-shape-nevada-caucuses-even-absent-romney-192429163--election.html , He is nowhere near being a Mormon
BCSpace Posted February 25, 2016 Posted February 25, 2016 12 hours ago, Jeanne said: All in all..why does this even matter? His home teachers have a lot of work to do. 1
sunstoned Posted March 6, 2016 Posted March 6, 2016 From what I have read, he was originally Catholic, converted to the church as a youth, then later reverted back to his original Catholic faith.
thesometimesaint Posted March 6, 2016 Posted March 6, 2016 As my mom used to tell me "Your actions are shouting so loudly that I can't hear a word you're saying".
sunstoned Posted March 23, 2016 Posted March 23, 2016 In light of what has transpired over the past couple of weeks, I think Marco Rubio is probably not going to be back in the headlines anytime soon.
thesometimesaint Posted March 23, 2016 Posted March 23, 2016 3 hours ago, sunstoned said: In light of what has transpired over the past couple of weeks, I think Marco Rubio is probably not going to be back in the headlines anytime soon. Or at least it is hoped.
Stargazer Posted March 24, 2016 Posted March 24, 2016 On 2/23/2016 at 10:31 AM, thesometimesaint said: I'm not a fan of Rubio, and don't give two hoots in a hollow about his religion whatever it was or is. Same with Romney. I like to keep them separate too. But I believe it is impossible to separate our religion from who we are. I have relatives in Utah. They are very nice people, but I, myself, didn't like living there. Too many Mormons and not enough Latter-day Saints. Oddly enough, I first heard that saying when it was uttered by Elder John M. Madsen (one of Truman's sons) when he was the mission president over England Bristol Mission (then called England Southwest Mission), in 1970! When did you hear that? Or is it a new coining by you?
thesometimesaint Posted March 24, 2016 Posted March 24, 2016 2 hours ago, Stargazer said: Oddly enough, I first heard that saying when it was uttered by Elder John M. Madsen (one of Truman's sons) when he was the mission president over England Bristol Mission (then called England Southwest Mission), in 1970! When did you hear that? Or is it a new coining by you? I don't remember when I first heard it. Could have been when I was at BYU.in 1975. Married student housing was quite unorthodox then. As far as I can remember it is original to me.
Stargazer Posted March 26, 2016 Posted March 26, 2016 (edited) On 3/24/2016 at 3:56 PM, thesometimesaint said: I don't remember when I first heard it. Could have been when I was at BYU.in 1975. Married student housing was quite unorthodox then. As far as I can remember it is original to me. Well, great minds think alike then. Edited March 26, 2016 by Stargazer
Recommended Posts