Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Theory on the Holy Ghost and the godhead


Recommended Posts

Posted

Ok this is only my theory so feel free to pick it apart and tell me where I'm wrong so I have a better understanding. Okay so there's a lot of scriptures that talk about Jesus is the same as the Father, etc that he does nothing except what the Father does right? There's one in John I think that says Jesus looks exactly like the Father. So what about being crucified and atoning for the world? Does God have nail scars if he's supposed to be exactly the same? That got me thinking that God probably also was crucified (or killed somehow) and the whole deal. But where and when? And who the heck is the Holy Ghost? How come there's nothing that says who he might actually be? How come one of the godhead doesn't get a body? Assuming he would get a body, when? We all still need him to not have a body to be able to do what he does so he can't have a body while any of us are on earth.

So all of that combined got me thinking that it's just like a royal family. I think that God was the Christ for his world and that his Father was the God, and that our Jesus was God's Holy Ghost when God was a Christ on his own world. Our Holy Ghost is Jesus' spirit son. After we are all back in heaven, Jesus becomes God the Father of a new world like ours, the Holy Ghost will be born to be their Christ and his spirit son the new Holy Ghost. One eternal lineage. Basically, their lineage is perfect so that the first son inherits the step up. We all as the rest of God's children have our own sphere of being saved, but the children of Jesus, once he becomes the Father will live on a world where his first born (our Holy Ghost) becomes their Christ and savior to them. So we're all kind of related, like Jesus' kids will be our cousins basically. That all makes sense to me in terms of eternity, the importance of families, and worlds without end, etc.

Let me know what you think and what I got severely wrong with my theory. I'm interested in hearing everyone's theories.

Posted (edited)

I am reminded of the words of Joseph Smith:

Quote

One of the Apostles once brought before the Prophet Joseph a very peculiar kind of a system. Joseph listened to him very patiently, and when this brother got through he says, "Brother Joseph, what do you think of that?" "Why," says he, "Brother ______, it is a beautiful system, and I have only one fault in the world to find about it." "What is it?" "It is not true."

 

Edited by JLHPROF
Posted
Just now, VideoGameJunkie said:

Then what is true because this is just my own crazy theory.

That depends on what source material you will accept.

Start with what is actually in scripture and go from there.

  • D&C 130:21 - The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s; the Son also; but the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit. Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us.

Joseph Smith's teachings would be my next stop.

  • The Holy Ghost is yet a spiritual body and is waiting to take to himself a body, as the Savior did.
  • Everlasting covenant was made between three personages before the organization of this earth and relates to their dispensation of things to men on the earth. These personages … are called God the first, the Creator; God the second, the Redeemer; and God the third, the Witness or Testator.”
  • The Holy Ghost is now in a state of probation which if he should perform in righteousness he may pass through the same or a similar course of things that the Son has.

For another interesting theory (since you like interesting theories) there is this.

Posted
9 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

That depends on what source material you will accept.

Start with what is actually in scripture and go from there.

  • D&C 130:21 - The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s; the Son also; but the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit. Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us.

Joseph Smith's teachings would be my next stop.

  • The Holy Ghost is yet a spiritual body and is waiting to take to himself a body, as the Savior did.
  • Everlasting covenant was made between three personages before the organization of this earth and relates to their dispensation of things to men on the earth. These personages … are called God the first, the Creator; God the second, the Redeemer; and God the third, the Witness or Testator.”
  • The Holy Ghost is now in a state of probation which if he should perform in righteousness he may pass through the same or a similar course of things that the Son has.

For another interesting theory (since you like interesting theories) there is this.

Hmmm that's interesting that some people thought Joseph Smith was or is the Holy Ghost.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, VideoGameJunkie said:

Ok this is only my theory so feel free to pick it apart and tell me where I'm wrong so I have a better understanding. Okay so there's a lot of scriptures that talk about Jesus is the same as the Father, etc that he does nothing except what the Father does right? There's one in John I think that says Jesus looks exactly like the Father. So what about being crucified and atoning for the world? Does God have nail scars if he's supposed to be exactly the same? That got me thinking that God probably also was crucified (or killed somehow) and the whole deal. But where and when? And who the heck is the Holy Ghost? How come there's nothing that says who he might actually be? How come one of the godhead doesn't get a body? Assuming he would get a body, when? We all still need him to not have a body to be able to do what he does so he can't have a body while any of us are on earth.

So all of that combined got me thinking that it's just like a royal family. I think that God was the Christ for his world and that his Father was the God, and that our Jesus was God's Holy Ghost when God was a Christ on his own world. Our Holy Ghost is Jesus' spirit son. After we are all back in heaven, Jesus becomes God the Father of a new world like ours, the Holy Ghost will be born to be their Christ and his spirit son the new Holy Ghost. One eternal lineage. Basically, their lineage is perfect so that the first son inherits the step up. We all as the rest of God's children have our own sphere of being saved, but the children of Jesus, once he becomes the Father will live on a world where his first born (our Holy Ghost) becomes their Christ and savior to them. So we're all kind of related, like Jesus' kids will be our cousins basically. That all makes sense to me in terms of eternity, the importance of families, and worlds without end, etc.

Let me know what you think and what I got severely wrong with my theory. I'm interested in hearing everyone's theories.

 

Hi vgj. I will try to express my own understanding while saying why I would not believe in the exactness of physical likeness of which you speak, even if I were LDS.

When Philip asked Jesus to show the disciples His Father, Jesus had not yet been crucified. If the Father had already been crucified, the "exactness" of which you speak would not have existed at the time Philip made his request.

Other Christians understand the passage to be referencing the intimate union of Christ and His Father. So intimate that The Father is in the Son. So intimate that the words and works of the Son are the words and works of the Father. How can Philip be wishing to see the Father when everything that Jesus says or does makes his Father manifest to the disciples?

"If you had known me, you would without doubt have known my Father also: and from henceforth you shall know him, and you have seen him.  Philip saith to him: Lord, shew us the Father, and it is enough for us. Jesus saith to him: Have I been so long a time with you; and have you not known me? Philip, he that seeth me seeth the Father also. How sayest thou, shew us the Father? Do you not believe, that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? The words that I speak to you, I speak not of myself. But the Father who abideth in me, he doth the works."  (Jn. 14:7-10)

Even were I LDS, believing that God is corporeal, I would believe in a physical likeness that makes for a resemblance, but nothing exact. The primary doctrine of our Lord here is not about incidental physical attributes anyway. He wants to lift the mind of Philip and His disciples to a higher understanding of His mission to show us the Father through words and works that come from the Father. This is so that we may in turn be raised to a moral likeness of Christ and His Father, as temples of God. On those occasions when the people of God, because God abides in them, perform acts and say the words that come from God, Christ and the Father are "seen" in the way in which they have ordinarily chosen to be shown.

Unless there is other revelation (Latter-day?) of which I am unaware, if I were LDS, I would hold that Christ bears an exact moral likeness to His Father, but not an exact physical likeness.

Regards,

3DOP

 

   

 

Edited by 3DOP
Posted
23 hours ago, VideoGameJunkie said:

Ok this is only my theory so feel free to pick it apart and tell me where I'm wrong so I have a better understanding. Okay so there's a lot of scriptures that talk about Jesus is the same as the Father, etc that he does nothing except what the Father does right? There's one in John I think that says Jesus looks exactly like the Father.

Actually, it is more like "He who has seen me, has seen the Father," and that kind of thing. As the Son of the Father, Jesus was His "legal agent." If you dealt with Jesus, you were dealing with the Father. So whatsoever the Father did, He did likewise.

John 16:25

25 These things have I spoken unto you in proverbs: but the time cometh, when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs, but I shall shew you plainly of the Father.

"Then, in a way incomprehensible to us, he took up that body which had not yet seen corruption and arose in that glorious immortality which made him like his resurrected Father." Bruce McKonkie 4/85

Quote

So what about being crucified and atoning for the world? Does God have nail scars if he's supposed to be exactly the same? That got me thinking that God probably also was crucified (or killed somehow) and the whole deal.

John 16:25

25 These things have I spoken unto you in proverbs: but the time cometh, when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs, but I shall shew you plainly of the Father.

"Then, in a way incomprehensible to us, he took up that body which had not yet seen corruption and arose in that glorious immortality which made him like his resurrected Father." Bruce McKonkie 4/85

YHWH = Behold the nail, Behold the hand.

If they are both YHWH, it doesn't matter who says it:
Zechariah 12:10

10 And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.

Quote

But where and when? And who the heck is the Holy Ghost? How come there's nothing that says who he might actually be?

John 14:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;

10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;

11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.

14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

John 15:26

26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

 

John 16:13

13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Doctrine and Covenants 93:26

26 The Spirit of truth is of God. I am the Spirit of truth, and John bore record of me, saying: He received a fulness of truth, yea, even of all truth;

Quote

How come one of the godhead doesn't get a body? Assuming he would get a body, when? We all still need him to not have a body to be able to do what he does so he can't have a body while any of us are on earth.

Assuming the Comforter is an office - what do other priesthood positions do, when a vacancy is open?

Quote

So all of that combined got me thinking that it's just like a royal family.

Elohim is a plural word, and certain men are called Elohim, and God does have a "house."

Quote

I think that God was the Christ for his world and that his Father was the God, and that our Jesus was God's Holy Ghost when God was a Christ on his own world. Our Holy Ghost is Jesus' spirit son. After we are all back in heaven, Jesus becomes God the Father of a new world like ours, the Holy Ghost will be born to be their Christ and his spirit son the new Holy Ghost. One eternal lineage. Basically, their lineage is perfect so that the first son inherits the step up. We all as the rest of God's children have our own sphere of being saved, but the children of Jesus, once he becomes the Father will live on a world where his first born (our Holy Ghost) becomes their Christ and savior to them. So we're all kind of related, like Jesus' kids will be our cousins basically. That all makes sense to me in terms of eternity, the importance of families, and worlds without end, etc.

This is why the scriptures call Jesus our fellow.... Yet, He shall be called the Father. :)

Posted
On 31/01/2016 at 4:19 AM, katherine the great said:

Personally I think the Holy Ghost is the divine mother. :) 

How is the Holy Ghost your divine mother?

Jim

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...