What Video Games Have You Played Recently?

Mystery Meat

I suspect that this thread will be dominated by VideoGameJunkie and myself, and that is okay. I love to game. It reminds me of Christmas and is very nostalgic for me. I own a WiiU and a PS4 (I recently sold the XBox One as I enjoyed it the least of the three and found it to be unnecessary).

So I will start by saying I recently bought and played through the Nathan Drake Collection and really enjoyed it. If you have not played it, I highly recommend it. Having finished the collection, I was reminded of one of my favorite games of all time by the same developer (Naughty Dog), and decided to play through it again. I am of course talking about The Last of Us Remastered. It is simply one of the best games ever made. I typically don't play a lot of M titles (in fact it is one of three that I own) and I can't in good conscience recommend the game for language reasons, but man, it is super good. Just a complete gaming experience.

Finally got an Xbox One about two weeks ago. Got Star Wars Battlefront, and Fallout 4. Only played Battlefront maybe 15-20 minutes. I think it's one of those games that I will probably only ever play if I have someone over who I can play with (couch split-screen).  With Fallout, I am still trying to get the hang of all of the new features -- it's also a bit overwhelming just how much there is.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 is one of my favorites. Until it become backwards compatible, I will hang onto my 360 for it.

World of Tanks...  Boom!

I got involved because I could play with my Son when he was stationed far away in the Army.  I have to limit my video game intake because even at 50 I'm likely to exhibit addiction and escape behavior by endlessly playing on line.  My family would prefer I spend my leisure time with them in a way that they aren't left staring at the back of my head.

I only play a video game when someone in the family wants to do it together. The only two we really play, and it is rare, is Family Feud and Wii Sports. We play board games, card games, or guessing games a bit more often than video games.

12 hours ago, KevinG said:

World of Tanks...  Boom!

I got involved because I could play with my Son when he was stationed far away in the Army.  I have to limit my video game intake because even at 50 I'm likely to exhibit addiction and escape behavior by endlessly playing on line.  My family would prefer I spend my leisure time with them in a way that they aren't left staring at the back of my head.

I started playing World of Tanks about a month or two after it went public, and I really liked it.  So, three years into it and World of Warplanes came out.  I tried it, and it sucked.  Then out comes World of Warships, and I haven't gone back to Tanks since!  WoT is great, but WoWS is wonderful.

Kevin, were you ever in any of the LDS clans in WoT?  I was in one of them -- the one that wasn't called MET -- "Mormon Elite Tankers".

My screen name is Glacis.

Besides World of Tanks and World of Warships, the only other video game I play is a first-person shooter called "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2", and I play it on the PC (don't have an XBox).  The series has gone on way past that one, but I don't like the following titles and though I bought a copy of Black Ops, I disliked it, and never finished it.  Too dark.  Modern Warfare 3 wasn't bad, but I didn't like the gameplay very much.  I played it once on Normal difficulty and then never again.  The Solo missions sucked.  But the Solo missions on MW2 are excellent and I play them over and over again.  I especially like "Estate Takedown", and I try to play it on Normal difficulty to see how fast I can finish it.  My shortest time, if I remember correctly, is something like 4 minutes 30 seconds.  I was really on my game that night.  My other favorite Solo mission is "O Cristo Redentor", which takes place in a slum in Rio de Janiero in view of the Christus statue, hence the name.  My fastest time on Normal in that one is 2 minutes 26 seconds.

I have to be careful I don't spend too much time playing these games.  Since my wife passed away I can get carried away wasting time with them.  I really buried myself in World of Warships for a few weeks after her funeral because I didn't want to face the world very much.  I'm starting to transition away from games now.  I am trying to get my life back.

19 hours ago, Mystery Meat said:

I have heard good things about the Dark Souls series. Is that by the same people who did Bloodbourne? What did you think of it?

Yep, same developer and director. I have Bloodbourne but I haven't had a chance to play it yet.  The dark souls series is amazing though! It's not an easy game (the enemies are tough, you die a lot, and you end up getting invaded by another player at the what is usually the worst possible moment), and I can't count how many times I've rage-quit just to start it up seconds later. It's a fun game and totally worth getting into!

I'm playing Chrono Trigger on my Super Nintendo which I've beaten through 84 times since 1995. I played the Mass Effect trilogy recently on my PS3, and I love all the Final Fantasy games, especially Final Fantasy 7 so I basically fainted with joy when I saw the gameplay trailer for the remake of Final Fantasy 7 coming out for PS4 in the future. I do love video games strongly, but what I love most about video games are ones with a great soundtrack or music score. The right music to me will make a game a classic.

On 12/8/2015 at 1:22 PM, VideoGameJunkie said:

I'm playing Chrono Trigger on my Super Nintendo which I've beaten through 84 times since 1995. I played the Mass Effect trilogy recently on my PS3, and I love all the Final Fantasy games, especially Final Fantasy 7 so I basically fainted with joy when I saw the gameplay trailer for the remake of Final Fantasy 7 coming out for PS4 in the future. I do love video games strongly, but what I love most about video games are ones with a great soundtrack or music score. The right music to me will make a game a classic.

I completely relate to that. I love a good soundtrack. I love the Zelda games for their soundtrack.

I just finished the Last of Us Remastered. Again, I cannot in good faith recommend this game due to its mature content, but it is one of the most complete games I have ever played. Its emotionally draining and simply amazing. It is almost flawless. Could do without the language, violence doesn't bother me because it is not real, but cursing is always real. 

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2015 at 0:22 PM, VideoGameJunkie said:

I never played any of the FF games.  One of my sons was really into it, though.  I didn't like the games, but I loved the music.  One of the game segments had a town called "Fisherman's Horizon", and the music that went with the place was beautiful. And then I realized that the musical piece was based on the tune of "I Look Up As I Walk" -- or "Sukiyaki", which is what it was known by in the English speaking music industry, sung by Kyu Sakamoto.  The song got tagged with the title "Sukiyaki" because the producers were certain that English speakers would have a hard time with "Ue o Muite Arukou"

20 hours ago, Mystery Meat said:

I just finished the Last of Us Remastered. Again, I cannot in good faith recommend this game due to its mature content, but it is one of the most complete games I have ever played. Its emotionally draining and simply amazing. It is almost flawless. Could do without the language, violence doesn't bother me because it is not real, but cursing is always real. 

I know how you feel. I love the God of War series, but it has tons of blood and some nudity.

15 hours ago, VideoGameJunkie said:

I have ps4, ps3, original nintendo, super nintendo, Sega genesis, 3ds. I'm playing fallout 4 right now. 

Then you have clearly chosen your screen name well!  :D