Resisting Sin

EllenMaksoud

When we are tempted, how do you resist? If you want a tatoo or a peircing, is it Satan that tempts us or are we just being weak? Did Heavenly Father give us something special to resist sin?

Sure, Satan can tempt us, but we are independent actors and can get into mischief completely on our own. Getting a tattoo or body piercing has nothing to do with it, and are too culture specific to be judged on a local and time-bound basis (after all, there are African tribes and Polynesian islanders who mark their bodies as part of rites of manhood, and Coptic Christians who tattoo a cross on the web of their hand to identify themselves as Christians -- not to mention circumcision of Jews).

Resistance to sin can be accomplished in several ways:

(1). Rather than depending on will power or sheer grit, we need to be humble and ask for help (this applies to any temptation or addiction)

(2) If necessary, confess the problem to your bishop

(2) Depend on the Holy Spirit. Remorse, repentance, fasting, and prayer are very important.

(3) Associate with good people and you will find yourself lifted up by their influence

(4) Put your name on the prayer roll at an LDS temple (this can be done by telephone) -- the prayers of the righteous avail much

(5) Find something to do instead of wasting time being tempted -- those anxiously engaged in a good cause don't have time to worry about temptation.

Most people I know want a tattoo for reasons entirely unrelated to temptation. The way to not want things that draw us away from God is TO want and seek those/situations who do want to be near Him. Like the PP said, anxious engagement in healthy ways preempts the time for lots of things that divert.

When we are tempted, how do you resist? If you want a tatoo or a peircing, is it Satan that tempts us or are we just being weak? Did Heavenly Father give us something special to resist sin?

Ask yourself "Will it still mean this much to me 50 years from now".

We are carnal, sensual, and devilish at times. It is one of the challenges of living in this mortal existence. Our challenges is to learn to tame our passions, our carnal desires, and integrate our physical body in such a way that our spirit can exert supremacy i.e. that the guidance of the Holy Spirit is supreme. We are all tempted in many different ways. Some of us don't have a problem with one thing, but it is something else. A tattoo, for example, is not tempting to me. It is not something I would consider doing, but there are a host of other things that tempt me. Our love for the Lord is a powerful influence to guide our wants and desires. To seek out holiness and righteousness at all times is the goal. It is not easy until we put away and make our carnal desires submit to the way of our Father. We will fall down, we will sin, but let us repent daily and keep trying to emulate the example of our Master, Jesus Christ.

Ask yourself "Will it still mean this much to me 50 years from now".

How about 10 or 20 years? Things we think we want at 16 - 20 often seem ridiculous at age 21+ with a little more experience and perspective... A tattoo is a good example. I'll bet dollars to donuts there's a lot of people who are sorry they ever got a tattoo, or even the subject or size/location of the tattoo.

edit to add: I understand how popular tattoos are, and we see them all over on all types of people... however, the other day I was in the store and here was a woman who was at least as old as I am, wearing a sleeveless top and on her arm she had a tattoo... it was fairly large and I couldn't really see the subject... but it looked silly on her, really silly. She had wrinkles and what I call "old woman skin." Now if she wants a tattoo, that's of no consequence to me per se... but I can tell you, she simply looked silly...

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

This would be a sin on a small level, but it affects my life nonetheless. I am really addicted to candy and other sweet things. I do not know if Satan tempts me, but I sure feel weak.

You resist by resisting. There is no trick. Temptation is exactly that: tempting. Most temptation can be beaten by refusal. Some requires prayer. Some leads to tears of frustration. Temptation is at its most dangerous when it makes everything else including the gospel itself seem insipid and worthless by comparison. There is no guarantee it will pass in a few minutes, an hour, a day, or even a month or year.

I know of no special resistance to temptation. The Holy Ghost offers another way but it is just that: an offer.

I have no way of knowing whether something is of Satan or if it is just an internal weakness. I suspect there is not much difference between the two. Joseph Smith taught that those with bodies have power over those who do not so falling to temptation is an internal weakness whether a devil is involved or not.