Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

A Push To Caffeinate Byu'S Campus


Tacenda

Recommended Posts

Posted

It can be addicting but for many it is not. I. Like the occasional Mountain Dew but I do not need it. I would like to think the Saints are able to recognize their own addictions and adapt accordingly without needing this oversight. Then again we are talking about BYU here. The school where adults are treated like children because the parents insist on protection over self-control. I am glad I did not attend.

For some reason this made me think about LDS and drinking alcohol. Do you think there are more LDS that become alcoholics vs. social drinkers? I was wondering because it's against our teachings therefore whomever drinks will more than likely drink to get drunk instead of the one or two a day type drinker. I know I listened to a podcast a few years ago by an LDS pyschologist who said there might be more LDS alcoholics than non LDS drinkers per groups. I'd have to do some searching for the podcast but it was a mormonstories one.

Posted

As soon as a prophet has a beard again. Then we can go back to clean-shaven faces being looked down on and the circle of life will continue.

Ha.
Posted

For some reason this made me think about LDS and drinking alcohol. Do you think there are more LDS that become alcoholics vs. social drinkers? I was wondering because it's against our teachings therefore whomever drinks will more than likely drink to get drunk instead of the one or two a day type drinker. I know I listened to a podcast a few years ago by an LDS pyschologist who said there might be more LDS alcoholics than non LDS drinkers per groups. I'd have to do some searching for the podcast but it was a mormonstories one.

Of course that could be because active LDS care to recover and seek treatment. Beware the statistics on LDS drug use, depression and recovery. There are a lot of bad analysis out there designed to show that Mormonism is nothing special or even embarrass the church.

Once you figure out we don't self prescribe and have a lower rate than other groups in the same geographical areas those arguments fall flat.

Posted

Well probably not. My mother in law is extremely health concious and is alway giving me literature on the harmful effects of pop, from the carbonation being harmful to the nutri sweet in the diet drinks I drink. I don't know if it's the WOW so much, but more that they are very health concious people. It may have started out being the WOW though.

Such is a blessing to her children. I don't know where I would be if my mother hadn't been very health conscious (she'd drive 2 hours one way to go to a health food store to pick up fresh ground flour and other items she could only get there) and willing to share that info. While more informed due to training and technology (I had a big headstart in her teachings) I am not so diligent though I still can't bring myself to indulge all that much, especially when I was a student completely on my own with no one else tempting me with their choices. It's sad when one knows too much of what is good and bad for one, ;). Thankfully Mom was also a great cook so I know that healthy doesn't have to be tasteless, I am just too lazy these days to put the effort in that is needed.
Posted
there might be more LDS alcoholics than non LDS drinkers per groups.

Not sure what you mean by this.
Posted

Not sure what you mean by this.

If you did a study of non lds vs lds in groups and compared the alcoholics vs. non alcoholics would their be more lds alcoholics in that group than non alcoholics? I'm not too good with wordage some days, today being one of them.

Posted

Such is a blessing to her children. I don't know where I would be if my mother hadn't been very health conscious (she'd drive 2 hours one way to go to a health food store to pick up fresh ground flour and other items she could only get there) and willing to share that info. While more informed due to training and technology (I had a big headstart in her teachings) I am not so diligent though I still can't bring myself to indulge all that much, especially when I was a student completely on my own with no one else tempting me with their choices. It's sad when one knows too much of what is good and bad for one, ;). Thankfully Mom was also a great cook so I know that healthy doesn't have to be tasteless, I am just too lazy these days to put the effort in that is needed.

You were very fortunate to have had a mother like yours! My mom she tried but she was addicted to her Diet Coke also, just to get through her work day as she was the main bread winner in the latter part of her marriage because my dad was on disability. But she tried to have well rounded meals when she was a stay at home mom. My dad would make some great meals, like homemade soups etc. He always had a horse pill (vitamin), I'd call it, on the kitchen counter before school for me to take.

Posted

If you did a study of non lds vs lds in groups and compared the alcoholics vs. non alcoholics would their be more lds alcoholics in that group than non alcoholics? I'm not too good with wordage some days, today being one of them.

I find that very hard to believe. Definitely would like to see the stats on that.

Now if the groups were groups of drinkers, I would not be surprised to find that it was more common for LDS that chose to drink to become alcoholics simply because our culture requires people not to drink so anyone in our community that does must have strong pressure to do so, such as an addiction. But if what is meant is just general population of LDS vs. the general population of nonLDS....big doubts there.

Posted

You were very fortunate to have had a mother like yours!

And don't I know it. I tell her constantly because she has a lot of self doubts (her mom didn't set her up as well as my mom did, thankfully she learned from her mom's mistakes)
Posted

And don't I know it. I tell her constantly because she has a lot of self doubts (her mom didn't set her up as well as my mom did, thankfully she learned from her mom's mistakes)

Your a lucky duck to have your mom. I'm missing mine like crazy today. She hopefully is with me in spirit. I try to tell everyone I know, not to take their mothers for granted or get too busy to hang out with them. Sounds like you're doing a pretty good job!

Posted

For what it's worth. Recently I was at a wedding reception at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building in SLC. It was necessary for me to walk through the kitchen to enter the stage from the side to help arrange it for the video. While walking through, I noticed the pop machine had regular coke. ;)

Posted

Your a lucky duck to have your mom. I'm missing mine like crazy today. She hopefully is with me in spirit. I try to tell everyone I know, not to take their mothers for granted or get too busy to hang out with them. Sounds like you're doing a pretty good job!

I am not going to have her much longer, I am afraid. I just wish she lived closer so I could make her life a little easier. At least I am good giving her pep talks and a listening ear when she needs to talk.
Posted
If you did a study of non lds vs lds in groups and compared the alcoholics vs. non alcoholics would their be more lds alcoholics in that group than non alcoholics? I'm not too good with wordage some days, today being one of them.

It must be one of those days. I still don't get what you're saying.

Posted

I'm not sure what the big deal is about caffeine at BYU. I really don't care either way. Why are some "appreciating" a caffeine free campus? Why are so many others, including those on this board, looking forward with longing for caffeine?

Posted

I'm not sure what the big deal is about caffeine at BYU. I really don't care either way. Why are some "appreciating" a caffeine free campus? Why are so many others, including those on this board, looking forward with longing for caffeine?

I'm rooting for them to be as caffeine free as possible, just because once some start they're hooked.

Posted

It must be one of those days. I still don't get what you're saying.

I'm going by memory here. In the podcast the phychologist mentioned that the lds was more susceptical to becoming an alcoholic. But I'll check into it further.

Posted

Aspartame is not processed by the human body - which means it leaves the body in the same form it entered the body, nor is aspartame removed from from waste. Theoretically, in the future, our drinking water, streams and lake will taste like diet sodas.

As for addictions and sodas.....The why of the addiction was address when Section 89 was spoken by Joseph Smith. The following comes from 60 minutes episode on Food Flavoring:

Dawn Streich: In our fruit flavors we're talking about, we want a burst in the beginning. And maybe a finish that doesn't linger too much so that you want more of it.

Hassel: And you don't want a long linger, because you're not going to eat more of it if it lingers.

Safer: Aha. So I see, it's going to be a quick fix. And then--

Hassel: Have more.

Safer: And then have more. But that suggests something else?

Hassel: Exactly.

Safer: Which is called addiction?

Hassel: Exactly.

Safer: You're tryin' to create an addictive taste?

Hassel: That's a good word.

Posted

For what it's worth. Recently I was at a wedding reception at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building in SLC. It was necessary for me to walk through the kitchen to enter the stage from the side to help arrange it for the video. While walking through, I noticed the pop machine had regular coke. ;)

The Joseph Smith Memorial Building is largely a commercial establishment. Drinks with caffeine have long been available in the restaurants there. It doesn't strike me as especially remarkable that you saw Coca-Cola in a drink machine there.

Add-on:

To underscore the distinction between the commercial and non-commercial, I took a stroll at lunch hour up to the Joseph Smith Memorial Building and stepped inside its Nauvoo Cafe. The fountain beverages for sale there include Coke™, Diet Coke™ and Mr. Pibb™, all of which contain caffeine.

Then I went next door to the employees' cafeteria inside the Church Office Building. As I expected, the only Coke™ beverages sold there are the caffeine-free versions.

Posted

If you enjoy artificial strawberry or vanilla...you are addicted to beaver butt...again from.60 minutes

"For example, strawberry and vanilla flavor can come from the gland in a beaver's backside"

Posted

If you enjoy artificial strawberry or vanilla...you are addicted to beaver butt...again from.60 minutes

"For example, strawberry and vanilla flavor can come from the gland in a beaver's backside"

First snort of the day! :snort:

Oh, I needed that.

Posted

Why don't they just take a campus survey and see if there is enough of a market for it, to be viable?

I don't understand the people who are "appreciating a caffeine free campus", when the leadership has clearly stated, these beverages are not against the WofW...?

Appreciating a caffeine free campus doesn't make sense to me. If they don't want to drink a caffeinated Dr. Pepper, they could simply choose the Sprite from the same machine. I don't get why the mere presence of a caffeinated drink would bother anybody.

Posted

If you enjoy artificial strawberry or vanilla...you are addicted to beaver butt...again from.60 minutes

"For example, strawberry and vanilla flavor can come from the gland in a beaver's backside"

First snort of the day! :snort:

Oh, I needed that.

A few years ago someone sued McDonalds for purposefully making its food addictive - the argument was similar to that used against tobacco companies, the Mcdonalds suit didnt go anywhere I think for want of evidence.....but that 60 minutes episode proves processed food is made to be addictive.

Posted

Appreciating a caffeine free campus doesn't make sense to me. If they don't want to drink a caffeinated Dr. Pepper, they could simply choose the Sprite from the same machine. I don't get why the mere presence of a caffeinated drink would bother anybody.

Probably the same reason that not protecting the public from.watching a bar tender mix drinks is a crime in Utah.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...