Tacenda Posted July 3, 2012 Posted July 3, 2012 (edited) Dan Witherspoon is active in the church and puts out several of these very neutral podcasts. I think he should be the poster child for Stay Lds. He is making it work. People like him, Carol Lynn Pearson, the Bushmans, all active, give me hope. They have a heart for those that struggle and see the value of staying in the church. Edited July 3, 2012 by Tacenda
mapman Posted July 3, 2012 Posted July 3, 2012 I'm a big fan of the Mormon Matters podcast. They are always interesting discussions that include a variety of opinions, but Dan Wotherspoon always encourages thoughtfulness and finds lots of positive things about Mormonism.
juliann Posted July 3, 2012 Posted July 3, 2012 Dan Wotherspoon is one of the more admirable figures in Mormon studies. 1
why me Posted July 3, 2012 Posted July 3, 2012 (edited) They have a heart for those that struggle and see the value of staying in the church.I think that we need to understand that many people are struggling with their faith in numerous religions. It is not easy to be a believing member of a church. And for many people it is a struggle, and not just for the LDS. But it does seem that the exlds or the critic tend to stress the people who struggle with the lds church as if it is the church's fault that people are struggling when actually the fault may be somewhere else: the search for evidence for truth and a doing way with faith. Edited July 4, 2012 by why me
Tacenda Posted July 4, 2012 Author Posted July 4, 2012 In other religions, except the Lds, Catholics, Muslims & the JW, they lose faith in God, not their church because their church just means to them a body of believers but when your belief is in a church and God that is where the trouble is. And too often when belief of their church is gone, too often their belief in God goes too. 2
why me Posted July 4, 2012 Posted July 4, 2012 In other religions, except the Lds, Catholics, Muslims & the JW, they lose faith in God, not their church because their church just means to them a body of believers but when your belief is in a church and God that is where the trouble is. And too often when belief of their church is gone, too often their belief in God goes too.Not to derail from MormonMatters but I think that the problem comes from believing that the lds church is the true church. And so, when that truth disappears, it is difficult to accept another church as true. The LDS church's understanding of where we came from, why we are here, and where we go upon death, is quite comprehensive. Not really matched by other faiths.
CASteinman Posted July 4, 2012 Posted July 4, 2012 In other religions, except the Lds, Catholics, Muslims & the JW, they lose faith in God, not their church because their church just means to them a body of believers but when your belief is in a church and God that is where the trouble is. And too often when belief of their church is gone, too often their belief in God goes too.That is a fair statement. For LDS the two are wrapped together, because this is the Lord's Church. Of course, since he left it to be administered in the hands of mortals, the weaknesses of men can create problems. I feel bad for people who struggle. I must admit, I don't entirely understand the struggle they go through though.
Tacenda Posted July 4, 2012 Author Posted July 4, 2012 I'm typing on my cell and didn't see a dbl quote button. Why Me and CAsteinman, you are both spot on in your evaluations. People are always saying "they can leave the church but they can't leave it alone". And both your quotes substantiate this.
BookofMormonLuvr Posted July 4, 2012 Posted July 4, 2012 (edited) In other religions, except the Lds, Catholics, Muslims & the JW, they lose faith in God, not their church because their church just means to them a body of believers but when your belief is in a church and God that is where the trouble is. And too often when belief of their church is gone, too often their belief in God goes too.I am thankful to God that He gave me such a strong testimony of the Book of Mormon that when I found out the LDS version of the Restored Gospel wasn't all it claimed to be I didn't lose faith in Jesus or the Restoration. Edited July 4, 2012 by BookofMormonLuvr
Tacenda Posted July 4, 2012 Author Posted July 4, 2012 I am thankful to God that He gave me such a strong testimony of the Book of Mormon that when I found out the LDS version of the Restored Gospel wasn't all it claimed to be I didn't lose faith in Jesus or the Restoration. You are a very lucky person to have that witness.
Deborah Posted July 4, 2012 Posted July 4, 2012 In other religions, except the Lds, Catholics, Muslims & the JW, they lose faith in God, not their church because their church just means to them a body of believers but when your belief is in a church and God that is where the trouble is. And too often when belief of their church is gone, too often their belief in God goes too.Very true. I think the thing that has kept me believing in the church in spite of some of the people is that I learned long ago to separate Christ's church from the very human men and women who are called to officiate in it. Often they are called so they themselves can grow. If I can remember that Christ is in the end in charge I can overlook the frailties of men and have faith that it will all work out.It is also important to keep in mind that the church is here to give authority to administer ordinances and covenants necessary for return to God's presence. No matter how inspiring other churches may be this is the one thing they do not have. And no matter how uninspiring some of our meetings may be this is the one thing we do have.
Tacenda Posted July 4, 2012 Author Posted July 4, 2012 (edited) Very true. I think the thing that has kept me believing in the church in spite of some of the people is that I learned long ago to separate Christ's church from the very human men and women who are called to officiate in it. Often they are called so they themselves can grow. If I can remember that Christ is in the end in charge I can overlook the frailties of men and have faith that it will all work out.It is also important to keep in mind that the church is here to give authority to administer ordinances and covenants necessary for return to God's presence. No matter how inspiring other churches may be this is the one thing they do not have. And no matter how uninspiring some of our meetings may be this is the one thing we do have.Though in other churches in their mind, all they need is to be born again. In their mind it's a regeneration process. In their mind it's not a church. They believe that the only High Priest was Jesus. So it's them and Jesus, nothing in between. As I've noted before in my posts I don't have that relationship at..all. So that's what I'm reaching for. Not a priesthood I guess. I believe that there was an original foundation laid and we are to keep it and build on it. I don't know that we need to keep pouring that foundation over and over, so to speak. I also believe that I can have that personal revelation if I'm in tune with the spirit. So thus the journey I'm on, the middlewayer, living for others at this point and not wanting to disappoint. Edited July 4, 2012 by Tacenda
Deborah Posted July 4, 2012 Posted July 4, 2012 They believe that the only High Priest was Jesus. So it's them and Jesus, nothing in between.Then they haven't read or understood the Bible. Jesus ministered to the people yes, but to whom did he gave authority? To his prophets and apostles to go out and teach the people. His concern was with establishing his church so that he could have men ministering directly to others when he was not there. That doesn't mean we don't have a personal relationship with Christ in that we feel his presence but he is not here to minister directly to us, which is why he established his church.
Tacenda Posted July 4, 2012 Author Posted July 4, 2012 Then they haven't read or understood the Bible. Jesus ministered to the people yes, but to whom did he gave authority? To his prophets and apostles to go out and teach the people. His concern was with establishing his church so that he could have men ministering directly to others when he was not there. That doesn't mean we don't have a personal relationship with Christ in that we feel his presence but he is not here to minister directly to us, which is why he established his church.I don't want to step on toes by mentioning this, but in the early church, women gave priesthood blessings, but not anymore. So is this a direction from God or man? I just think that women should be able to have the authority also, actually anyone that is in tune with Him should, does that make sense?
Deborah Posted July 4, 2012 Posted July 4, 2012 I don't want to step on toes by mentioning this, but in the early church, women gave priesthood blessings, but not anymore. What "early" church are you talking about? The ancient church or the restored church? And CFR they gave "priesthood" blessings.As far as I know women did not give Priesthood blessings, but gave blessings. I myself have laid hands on a sick, crying infant's head when I was alone and he immediately fell into a peaceful sleep. Women in the temple today have authority to administer ordinances so I'm not sure what you are referring to.
Tacenda Posted July 4, 2012 Author Posted July 4, 2012 What "early" church are you talking about? The ancient church or the restored church? And CFR they gave "priesthood" blessings.As far as I know women did not give Priesthood blessings, but gave blessings. I myself have laid hands on a sick, crying infant's head when I was alone and he immediately fell into a peaceful sleep. Women in the temple today have authority to administer ordinances so I'm not sure what you are referring to.I should have said "gave annointed blessings" . I jump to conclusions in my reading occasionally and just thought that this was the same as a priesthood blessing.
Damien the Leper Posted July 6, 2012 Posted July 6, 2012 I am thankful to God that He gave me such a strong testimony of the Book of Mormon that when I found out the LDS version of the Restored Gospel wasn't all it claimed to be I didn't lose faith in Jesus or the Restoration.Fascinating perspective. How long have you been RLDS? BTW, I read the articles on your congregations website concerning the lawsuits and Community of Christ. I'm sorry your congregation had to endure the pain it has.
Damien the Leper Posted July 6, 2012 Posted July 6, 2012 I will take Dan Wotherspoon and Mormon Matters over John Dehlin and Mormon Stories any day.
Libs Posted July 6, 2012 Posted July 6, 2012 (edited) I enjoy both, Mormon Stories and Mormon Matters. Love Dan Wotherspoon. He is always so friendly and upbeat...and he almost apologizes for asking difficult questions or bringing up controversial issues. Very non-confrontational, but always facilitates an interesting discussion. I think John Dehlin's style is very similar, although, he is more pensive and thoughtful...but, always civil and friendly (in his interviews). Shawn McCraney they are not. Edited July 6, 2012 by Libs
Tacenda Posted July 6, 2012 Author Posted July 6, 2012 I enjoy both, Mormon Stories and Mormon Matters. Love Dan Wotherspoon. He is always so friendly and upbeat...and he almost apologizes for asking difficult questions or bringing up controversial issues. Very non-confrontational, but always facilitates an interesting discussion. I think John Dehlin's style is very similar, although, he is more pensive and thoughtful...but, always civil and friendly (in his interviews). Shawn McCraney they are not. That's for sure!
Rivers Posted July 7, 2012 Posted July 7, 2012 Mormon Matters has become my favorite podcast. The type of people that usually participate on that podcast are most similar to the the type of mormon I've become. They point out over and over again how interesting and engaging mormonism can be despite all of the difficult issues. Jared Anderson is now my favorite mormon podcast personality and I can't wait for his new Sunday School podcast.
Libs Posted July 7, 2012 Posted July 7, 2012 I was just listening to the intro for the MS Sunday School. Very interesting project.
Tacenda Posted July 7, 2012 Author Posted July 7, 2012 I was just listening to the intro for the MS Sunday School. Very interesting project.I listened while typing on here, lol. So not with my full attention. I wonder what it will be like if some of it comes from an athiest position. I tend to think that alot of people on MS are appearing that way. But we'll see.
DH Posted July 7, 2012 Posted July 7, 2012 (edited) The LDS church's understanding of where we came from, why we are here, and where we go upon death, is quite comprehensive. Not really matched by other faiths.Somehow I suspect that people raised in other faiths would dispute that. They may not have the same explanations for all those things that we do, but they do their own explanations and highly developed worldviews. Edited July 7, 2012 by DH
Recommended Posts