Does This Missionary Story Sound Familiar?

Duncan

I heard a story once and I think...it was either Pres. Monson or Pres. Tanner who tells it. Anyways they got a phone call from this irate woman indicating that the family was upset by the mission assignment of their son. It seems that and I forget who exactly but te dad, an uncle, older brother or some such collection of relatives all went to the same place and they wanted this son to serve there as well. When asked what the son thought about the call the woman indicated that she had opened up her son's call and he didn't know a thing about it as he was away at school. So after some scolding it was decided that the woman phone Pres. I. For. Get when the son learns about his call. Turns out the son was thrilled to pieces because he had been secretly praying he wouldn't be assigned to where all these relatives of his went! I am nuts in remembering this or does anyone remember hearing this story? It may have been in a conference talk or a Church magazine article. Apreeshee-ate ya!

I don't know but I recall a story by Elder Cook of when he was on the missionary committee. They received a call from a mother in Great Britain who explained that her son needs to serve close to home because she must iron his sheets each night. The presiding apostle (I don't recall who) took the boys name and placed him as geographically far away from his mother as was possible and quipped that the boy needed to be away from his mother more than he needed to be serving the lord... or something like that. It was a long time ago.

And then there is the parent who tells me that, if you don't earn your chief scout/eagle scout, you will not go on a foreign mission.

Duncan, it are correct in assuming that you have lost your mind and have gone completely nuts. Do not dispair, but know that you have reached that rich old age where instead of forgetting you have now begun to create stuff up in your head and tell people about things that never happened. Often it will take the form of walking uphill going to and coming back from school. I am sorry to inform you of this, but you have now joined the old duffer state of humanity. Welcome to the fold. Did I ever tell you about the time I walked with Nikita Khrushchev down by the river? Amazing story...

I don't know but I recall a story by Elder Cook of when he was on the missionary committee. They received a call from a mother in Great Britain who explained that her son needs to serve close to home because she must iron his sheets each night. The presiding apostle (I don't recall who) took the boys name and placed him as geographically far away from his mother as was possible and quipped that the boy needed to be away from his mother more than he needed to be serving the lord... or something like that. It was a long time ago.

And then there is the parent who tells me that, if you don't earn your chief scout/eagle scout, you will not go on a foreign mission.

That's awesome! My bro in law doesn't have his CSA and he went to Hong Kong, but then again i don't either and I went to California-well I guess that foreign to us!

I rarely can remember who told what story between all the ones I hear each week during sacrament, sunday school and third hour (whatever class that might be depending on my calling, stake conference, general conference, firesides, and just stuff I read.

Good on you if you find this one.

I rarely can remember who told what story between all the ones I hear each week during sacrament, sunday school and third hour (whatever class that might be depending on my calling, stake conference, general conference, firesides, and just stuff I read.

Good on you if you find this one.

Thank you!

That's awesome! My bro in law doesn't have his CSA and he went to Hong Kong, but then again i don't either and I went to California-well I guess that foreign to us!

In ways I felt lucky to go on a foreign mission. Learning a language gave me some mental relief to the boredom of 24/7 church. I would have to think that the Church is really cautious about sending a missionary with any kind of health issue out of the country. But I'm not sure it would have mattered in my case. Because I wasn't in college, my parents health insurance dropped me when I left at age 19. While the church might cover missionaries for a few medical expenses before they send him home, you're still considered to have a preexisting condition and a lapse in coverage when you return, so you can't get any health insurance for at least a year when you return and that's only if you're lucky enough to find a job with health insurance right away which is highly unlikely. That could be a major problem for a lot of young people who go into the third world. I'd have to think more than a few pick up some kind of disease that requires medical treatment for which they're no longer eligible.

In ways I felt lucky to go on a foreign mission. Learning a language gave me some mental relief to the boredom of 24/7 church. I would have to think that the Church is really cautious about sending a missionary with any kind of health issue out of the country. But I'm not sure it would have mattered in my case. Because I wasn't in college, my parents health insurance dropped me when I left at age 19. While the church might cover missionaries for a few medical expenses before they send him home, you're still considered to have a preexisting condition and a lapse in coverage when you return, so you can't get any health insurance for at least a year when you return and that's only if you're lucky enough to find a job with health insurance right away which is highly unlikely. That could be a major problem for a lot of young people who go into the third world. I'd have to think more than a few pick up some kind of disease that requires medical treatment for which they're no longer eligible.

true! neither I or my bro had any medical insurance when we served in LA, Canadians are only covered in Canada and so we winged it but were able to come out scot free!

I heard a story once and I think...it was either Pres. Monson or Pres. Tanner who tells it. Anyways they got a phone call from this irate woman indicating that the family was upset by the mission assignment of their son. It seems that and I forget who exactly but te dad, an uncle, older brother or some such collection of relatives all went to the same place and they wanted this son to serve there as well. When asked what the son thought about the call the woman indicated that she had opened up her son's call and he didn't know a thing about it as he was away at school. So after some scolding it was decided that the woman phone Pres. I. For. Get when the son learns about his call. Turns out the son was thrilled to pieces because he had been secretly praying he wouldn't be assigned to where all these relatives of his went! I am nuts in remembering this or does anyone remember hearing this story? It may have been in a conference talk or a Church magazine article. Apreeshee-ate ya!

It sounds familiar but I don't remember who told it or at which meeting.