Transit Of Venus On June 5/6 2012

Well, here's something you don't see every day!

The Transit of Venus, 2012

A transit of Venus across the Sun takes place when the planet Venus passes directly between the Sun and Earth, becoming visible against (and hence obscuring a small portion of) the solar disk. During a transit, Venus can be seen from Earth as a small black disk moving across the face of the Sun. The duration of such transits is usually measured in hours (the transit of 2004 lasted six hours). A transit is similar to a solar eclipse by the Moon. While the diameter of Venus is almost four times that of the Moon, Venus appears smaller, and travels more slowly across the face of the Sun, because it is much farther away from Earth.

Transits of Venus are among the rarest of predictable astronomical phenomena. They occur in a pattern that repeats every 243 years, with pairs of transits eight years apart separated by long gaps of 121.5 years and 105.5 years. The periodicity is a reflection of the fact that the orbital periods of Earth and Venus are close to 8:13 and 243:395 commensurabilities.

The next transit of Venus will occur on 5 and 6 June 2012, and will be the last Venus transit this century; the prior transit took place on 8 June 2004. The previous pair of transits were in December 1874 and December 1882. After 2012, the next transits of Venus will be in December 2117 and December 2125.

This upcoming transit will not be visible from everywhere. But most of us here on this board will be able to see at least part of it, weather permitting. Pahoran, for example, if he lives in the western 2/3's of Australia, will be able to see all of it. Those of us in North America will get to see part of it. For more information on where the transit will be visible, see the Wikipedia link above. For an exact computation of the transit for your location, see this link: Local Transit Times.

NOTE CAREFULLY: DON'T LOOK DIRECTLY AT THE SUN!!!

I don't know why this kind of warning is necessary, but the existence of the Darwin Awards proves that there's gotta be someone, somewhere, who will do something stupid, despite all common sense (actually, the fact that people will jump out of perfectly good airplanes that are going to land a few minutes later anyway, proves this).

So, for this event, here are some ideas on how to how to safely observe the transit.

If your location does not make a viewing of this transit possible, you can watch ONLINE using the NASA webcast site for the event.

Edited by Stargazer
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By nuclearfuels
      Pretty sure this means something just not sure what.
      Signs of the last days or signs of the last of the last days?
      My friends, please - teach, impart, expound, exhort. 
      I'm not looking for a statement from Church HQ - just curious to hear from the Jewish historians and experts as to their opinion.
      Last time this happened in 1866:
      The US Civil War ended
      German and Russian leaders were assassinated
      TNT was invented.
      Few sources:
      “The Talmud states that Israel is judged by our actions, by our commitment to Hashem (God), and not by astrological signs,” Rabbi Berger told Breaking Israel News. “In fact, the Talmud states that a lunar eclipse is a bad sign for those who hate Israel.”
      “People who cannot accept that God is behind nature are the haters of Israel, since our presence in the world bears witness to the fact there is a creator,” he continued. “God used nature to bring the plagues on to Egypt. But even when the plagues transcended anything that was ever witnessed before, Pharaoh refused to accept God as being behind them. We are seeing this today, with hurricanes and earthquakes occurring in unprecedented manners.”
      https://www.christianheadlines.com/blog/blue-blood-moon-has-prophetic-significance-say-religious-leaders.html

One of the biggest dates on the near horizon is the actual 70th anniversary of the nation of Israel, which is only mere months away.  Considering the transition from 2017 to 2018, it occurs to me that '7' is the number of spiritual perfection and completion, but '8' is the number of resurrection and new beginnings.  Let's not forget that all of the incredible "coincidences" last year were God-orchestrated and were reminders that the present age's clock is ticking.  We will still be in the biblical year that witnessed the Revelation 12 Sign (Eclipse last summer)  until March or April 2018 and on the Jewish civil calendar (and possibly Jubilee calendar) we are in the same year until next Fall.

At the same time, radical change is unfolding in the Middle East, culminating with Fatah and Hamas reconciliation, the collapse of the ISIS caliphate, the world's vote to divide Jerusalem, Trump's Jerusalem decision in response, the Saudi Arabian regime change, revolution in Iran, and dominoes now starting to fall: after Trump's embassy announcement Guatemala quickly followed suit and rumor is building that some 10 other nations, including Honduras, are considering making the same move.  This may very well be the build up towards Israeli sovereignty over the Temple Mount in 2018 and what shortly follows next - the Third Temple.
      http://www.unsealed.org/2017/12/2018-new-chapter-begins.html
      I hope you were able to catch the supermoon this weekend... the brightness was amazing. At our home it was casting shadows in the yard. Apparently supermoons are so bright because they are 30,000 miles closer than at other times...which makes them 30% brighter. You probably also know that this celestial event was 70 days after the Revelation 12 Sign concluded. What I just found out this morning is that this is just part one of a "supermoon trilogy". Coming up next month there is another supermoon happening. January 1st of 2018.... exactly 100 days after the Revelation 12 Sign. It's almost as though God is putting an exclamation mark the first day of the year for some reason. Then, before the 1st month is even over in 2018 yet a third supermoon is happening!  This is a blue-moon.... or as the article below calls it, a super-blue-moon and a "Royal Spectacle".  On top of that, it is a lunar eclipse (aka, a blood moon)!
      https://rev12daily.blogspot.com/2017/12/a-supermoon-trilogy.html
      "Prophecisor" Pastor Paul Begley has once again taken to YouTube to warn of the prophetic significance of the rare super blue blood moon, which he noted falls on a Jewish festival holiday - the Festival of Trees.

• By BCSpace
      Awesome find; loving Astronomy as I do.  Would like to see these Mayan cities on a map overlaid with the Mayan constellations if anyone can find something like it.
    • By BCSpace
      I'm not a big fan of "the more science can explain, the less room there is for God" type of arguments. I believe they are absolutely non sequitur and anti-science. However, if they shake an atheist's beliefs, more power to them.

But since we are going the other way on this one, I have to say it goes against my preference for a universe teaming with life and not one like Isaac Asimov's universe in which the all powerful robots altered the universe to ensure humanity would not have much competition.
    • By boblloyd91
      http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/11/tech/innovation/blood-moon/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

Apparently big things have happened in Israel or with the Jewish people whenever this has happened. Normally I don't put much stock in end times speculation but I am interested to see if this pattern continues
    • By Grudunza
      Could make a good FHE discussion topic, about the relative size of things and our place in the cosmos.  I hope you enjoy it and if so, please share it. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsRYQOmH0Co