Calm Posted April 11, 2012 Posted April 11, 2012 Kevin, your post brings this book to mind:http://www.amazon.com/Converts-Guide-Mormon-Life-Latter-day/dp/157008520X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1334185479&sr=1-1im, you might find this helpful, it's been years since I looked at it, but my memory says that it served as a good introduction not only to church practices, but church culture as well. Their book on Food Storage was the best I've ever seen anywhere.
volgadon Posted April 11, 2012 Posted April 11, 2012 So if my father has close friends in another Church, he's been invited there for a special occasion this Sunday, and he can't get there without me, it wouldn't be a sin for me to visit with him instead of going to stake conference?If this were me, I would probably help my father in this situation.
LDSToronto Posted April 11, 2012 Posted April 11, 2012 So if my father has close friends in another Church, he's been invited there for a special occasion this Sunday, and he can't get there without me, it wouldn't be a sin for me to visit with him instead of going to stake conference?It would be a sin to leave your dad in the lurch. H. 1
HiJolly Posted April 12, 2012 Posted April 12, 2012 I agree with most folks in this thread. Be with your dad. Maybe it's just because my dad passed away in December... I've attended the local Methodist church (and missed sacrament meeting to do it) when my daughter asked if we could go. I really enjoyed it and even did pretty good with the interactive parts. My daughter liked it too, though we haven't been back since then. HJ
Evangeline Posted April 12, 2012 Posted April 12, 2012 Do you tend to go with friends or on your own?Both, actually. Our neighbour, before he passed away, was a pastor for another Christian church, and we have gone to his family's church services. Before that, we would go to an Anglican cathedral for Christmas Eve services because we loved listening to the large organ there. It was breathtaking really. One of my sons attends a Catholic school, and we plan on attending some of the Catholic masses with his schoolmates as well. 2
Damien the Leper Posted April 12, 2012 Posted April 12, 2012 Because it's your father, I agree, be with him. You'll have other Sacrament Meetings and Stake Conferences.I enjoy going to other church services because I'm able to experience what draws others closer to God. Each time I have gone it has been a sacred experience. Some were a little "weird" to me but that is irrelevant. I was just happy to share in the sacred experience. 1
Alan Posted April 12, 2012 Posted April 12, 2012 It's good to visit other church services sometimes. You can learn a lot.I have been to the following and learned something at every one.Church of England (Anglican)MethodistRoman CatholicBaptistChurch of Scotland (Presbyterian)Church of the NazareneCommunity of ChristAssemblies of GodElim PentecostalKingdom Faith ChurchFree Church of ScotlandUnited Reformed ChurchThe ones I liked best were the Church of England and the Methodist; but as I said, I learned something from them all. I fully intend to increase my list, especially with a visit to a Lutheran Church, a Greek Orthodox and a Coptic Church.
zerinus Posted April 12, 2012 Posted April 12, 2012 Can Mormons visit other Churches?Yes.So if my father has close friends in another Church, he's been invited there for a special occasion this Sunday, and he can't get there without me, it wouldn't be a sin for me to visit with him instead of going to stake conference?Not if you are still keeping the Sabbath holy. That is decision that only you can make.I thought it might be failing to keep the day holy.You can keep the Sabbath holy in more ways than one.
Anakin7 Posted April 12, 2012 Posted April 12, 2012 (edited) I have visitedRoman Catholic OrthodoxCoptic Egyptian Catholic OrthodoxGreek Catholic OrthodoxMethodist/WeslyanBaptist - American,Southern,Fundamentalist IndependantChurch of ChristJehovah WitnessCalvery ChapelIn His Debt/GraceAnakin7LDS JEDI KNIGHT Edited April 12, 2012 by Anakin7
zerinus Posted April 12, 2012 Posted April 12, 2012 (edited) That question was for the LDS folk. In regards to Catholics, we can attend other religious services but are required still to go to Mass as well. I'm wondering if Mormons have a similiar requirement.Mormons are required to keep the Sabbath holy (D&C 59:8-12). Since the essence of the Sabbath observance is Sacrament of the Lord's Supper, which requires proper priesthood authority to be administered, then obviously the right place to do that for a Mormon is in the LDS Church. If a Mormon for some reason cannot attend an LDS Sacrament service on a particular day, then he can still keep the Sabbath holy by observing the spirit of the Sabbath if not the letter. Attending another Church may be one way of solving the problem. But if someone were to consistently attend another Church service (instead of LDS), that raises the question of where their commitment really lies.I attended our local JW church for three weeks in a row several years ago just to find out more about them. But their times were different from our time, so I could do both--but I had to skip lunch to do it! If the times had clashed, and I couldn't attend both, I would have probably still done it for the learning experience; but I would have probably kept the bishop informed so he wouldn't be wondering where I had apostatized to! Edited April 12, 2012 by zerinus 1
TJayT Posted April 12, 2012 Posted April 12, 2012 Can Mormons visit other Churches?Yes. I have heard some people try to claim it's "taboo", but I've always enjoyed it and it can be a great witnessing opportunity.
why me Posted April 14, 2012 Posted April 14, 2012 While my mom was still alive I took her to her church, and sometimes I'd stay with her for the meetings. No sin.While my mom was alive and when my exwife and I visited her so she could see her grandchildren, she would take them to the catholic mass on saturday night. I thought that it was great. She taught my daughters the sign of the cross.
why me Posted April 14, 2012 Posted April 14, 2012 So if my father has close friends in another Church, he's been invited there for a special occasion this Sunday, and he can't get there without me, it wouldn't be a sin for me to visit with him instead of going to stake conference?For catholics, sunday mass is an obligation and it would be a sin not to go. But not for the lds. People miss sacrament for various of reasons. I hope that you had a good time with your father.
ChristKnight Posted April 14, 2012 Posted April 14, 2012 Can Mormons visit other Churches?Yes, I went with my family to Catholic Mass on Easter (and have gone a few times with them, though sometimes I'd go to Sacrament Meeting after).
Recommended Posts