Where Is The Rest Of Him?

Freedom

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_c1

An excellent article on why Romney needs to stop hiding from talking about his faith, and a great lesson for members of the church to be more proud of their religious heritage.

What other candidate has given a major speech about his faith like the one Romney gave in 2008? More to the point, what other candidate has had to, and why should Romney be singled out? Just wonderin'! ;)

I guess if Romney wanted to be a missionary for the Church, he should focus on this religion and explain everything. Gosh, we seen how well that works on this Forum I don't understand why anyone would not want to do that. Reason and truth seems to immediately overcome all attacks and/or criticisms; wouldn't you agree? :crazy:

As far as politics goes, I still prefer to see them separated. I don't want to know about someone's atheism or their belief in the God of Abraham. What I want to know is if they are knowledgeable enough about the nation's problems and do they offer workable solutions; do they have a commitment to fairness; are they in the middle of the political spectrum? I don't want to know if they have had affairs, married multiple times, or anything that I think is private. Each of us seems to live their personal life differently than we live our public life; we should afford politicians the same latitude.

What other candidate has given a major speech about his faith like the one Romney gave in 2008? More to the point, what other candidate has had to, and why should Romney be singled out? Just wonderin'! ;)

They didn't becuase they do not have this handicap in the eyes of the american voter. I, of course, am a observer being that I live in Canada. Nevertheless, Romney does come off to me as being a business stiff, or at least this is the persona he seems to be conveying. He has nothing to loose at this point and this is politics.

I guess if Romney wanted to be a missionary for the Church, he should focus on this religion and explain everything. Gosh, we seen how well that works on this Forum I don't understand why anyone would not want to do that. Reason and truth seems to immediately overcome all attacks and/or criticisms; wouldn't you agree? :crazy:

As far as politics goes, I still prefer to see them separated. I don't want to know about someone's atheism or their belief in the God of Abraham. What I want to know is if they are knowledgeable enough about the nation's problems and do they offer workable solutions; do they have a commitment to fairness; are they in the middle of the political spectrum? I don't want to know if they have had affairs, married multiple times, or anything that I think is private. Each of us seems to live their personal life differently than we live our public life; we should afford politicians the same latitude.

Then why is he loosing so much ground? If he talks about his experiences, or better yet, uses examples of his ecclesiastical experiences to demonstrate how he is qualified to lead, it will but people at ease. People don't care about the doctrines, they are just ignorant and nervous. If he talks about his experiences in the church rather than the doctrines, the church will be seen as more tangible, more human, more (dare I say it) American. The voters know his professional resume, they need to be exposed to his personal life.

Then why is he loosing so much ground? If he talks about his experiences, or better yet, uses examples of his ecclesiastical experiences to demonstrate how he is qualified to lead, it will but people at ease. People don't care about the doctrines, they are just ignorant and nervous. If he talks about his experiences in the church rather than the doctrines, the church will be seen as more tangible, more human, more (dare I say it) American. The voters know his professional resume, they need to be exposed to his personal life.

Just so we are clear, I think Romney would make a great president. However, Romney has a host of problems before he entered the race. He has taken stands in his past that are difficult to justify. Having done so, it comes off as really....difficult to trust when he is being genuine and honest. It is difficult for people to trust him. Until he is able to overcome that liability he can win by default, but he will never win by support.

I was asked during his first run for president, just when he was thinking about it seriously, what I thought needed to happen. My recommendation then was to meet with the EVs and the far religious right; if he could win their support, he would win. He cannot win their support and never will. I still there there is a way for him to win, BUT, it will not come from votes for Romney, but rather votes against Obama.

His middle of the road nature is really what is needed right now. However, to attempt to run a campaign that way would kill his chances to win the Republican nomination.

Storm Rider

So do you feel that this article is completely off base or do you feel there is at least some validity to their assessment? I agree with you in large part but I do believe that his campaign could use his religion to his advantage.

I see Romney as not president candidate that I would vote for, but that has nothing to do with his religion. As far as the personal piccadillos of potential/currant office holders. They are their own business unless it involves cirme, or they attempt to disparage my relationships because of their suppossed morally superior ones.

However, Romney has a host of problems before he entered the race. He has taken stands in his past that are difficult to justify.

Gingrich has similar problems. For example, he also supported a health insurance mandate. So is the sudden drop for Romney because Gingrich has not been the front runner or near front runner as long as Herman Cain was for people to see and have time to attack his faults? Or is it because, as the polls have stated, that 30-40% of Americans would rather not have a Mormon for president?

Perhaps, for the moment, it's because people in the GOP feel that crushing Obama in public debate (one of Newt's big strengths) is more important:

http://www.worldnews...ng-for-america/

Gingrich has similar problems. For example, he also supported a health insurance mandate. So is the sudden drop for Romney because Gingrich has not been the front runner or near front runner as long as Herman Cain was for people to see and have time to attack his faults? Or is it because, as the polls have stated, that 30-40% of Americans would rather not have a Mormon for president?

Perhaps, for the moment, it's because people in the GOP feel that crushing Obama in public debate (one of Newt's big strengths) is more important:

http://www.worldnews...ng-for-america/

I think that there is a distinct, large minority in the USA would not vote for a LDS for president under any circumstance. Regardless of what type of woman or man (LDS) would run, they would never get their vote.

I still think Romney will win the nomination by default, not because the party really supports/loves him.

I still think Romney will win the nomination by default, not because the party really supports/loves him.

It will be interesting to see if Romney can gain back the support. Everyone's piling up on him now and there is very time left. Iowa and New Hampshire are a month away and Florida and South Carolina seem to be lost at the moment. If he does get the nomination, I predict it will be touch and go or by the skin of his teeth. The media will pick which of Newt or Romney will be the weakest candidate against Obama so I think the loser of those two could be a reasonably accurate indication of who the left fears most. As one can plainly see, they fear most a conservative woman on the ticket.

I dont think either newt or romney would be good for the US, so I'll either vote to keep the devil I know instead picking a devil I don't know, vote for a 3rd party, or not vote all...most likely I will not vote at all - as I deem it my patriotic duty to not support what I deem is not in the best interest of the United States.

Well, here is one person who is quite optimistic about Romney:

http://www.nationalr...sh-ponnuru?pg=1

Governor Romney has his weaknesses as a candidate, too. In the past only high-income voters have demonstrated a natural affinity for him. His flip-flops are well documented. He won’t be able to take full advantage of the unpopularity of Obamacare. A significant number of voters will hold his Mormonism against him, although Republican voters in recent surveys seem likely to look past this misgiving in the interest of retiring Obama and most Democrats who oppose Mormon candidates won’t be available to any Republican nominee. But he is also reasonable, articulate — phenomenally articulate, by the standards of recent Republican candidates — and reassuring. Democrats will try to make him into a scary figure, but they will have less to work with than if Republicans nominated, Cain, Gingrich, Perry, or Rick Santorum. He has improved as a campaigner, and now usually projects an air of command that eluded him in the last presidential race.

I dont think either newt or romney would be good for the US, so I'll either vote to keep the devil I know instead picking a devil I don't know, vote for a 3rd party, or not vote all...most likely I will not vote at all - as I deem it my patriotic duty to not support what I deem is not in the best interest of the United States.

Well, of course Newt Gingrich, who as House Speaker engineered a federal budget that actually went into surplus (something the Dems like to claim Pres. Clinton did -- well, he signed it after all, not that he had any choice), would not be good for the US. And Romney, whose business experience saved the SLC Olympics and is a known turn-around artist, would probably completely bankrupt the country. Oh, wait, it's already bankrupt. Too late.

And I do hope you stay home on election day.

Archived