Where Do You Sit In Sacrament? I Hate When.....

RegularMormon

We were just laughing about this last week, my wife and I decided to shake things up and sit in the spot where a couple (who we knew would enjoy the experiment) with several children normally sit. It caused them to sit somewhere else, causing those other member to sit somewhere else, and so on and so on. It was hilarious watching all the comments.."you're in my spot!" jokingly but maybe not? lol

Anyway where do YOU sit and why?

We normally sit close to the back, just cause we have kids.

One thing I do hate however is when going to Priesthood meetings or other smaller meetings and they ask us to "move to the center and up front" ugh I understand the reasonings and purpose but I'm so closterphobic and honestly can't concentrate as well if I had a more open area to relax in. Just me though, I'm sure there are others who love it... I'm one of the 99. lol

Edited by RegularMormon

With 9 of us in the family. Wherever we want!

Just kidding. We have to show up early to sit together in a pew. If we get there "on time" its usually the chairs in the back of the cultural hall.

My pet peeve is when people "reserve" pews with scriptures and bags while they are in administrative meetings before Sacrament.

I sit in the second row, on the left side... Not sure why, just always have since we moved into the Branch... People in our little Branch do tend to sit in the same place each week...

I do have an amusing story about "reserved seating" in Sacrament Meeting... We moved into a new Ward back in 2005... It was our first week and we were very excited to attend our new congregation... This was a very small Ward, and my sons were immediately asked to help with the Sacramant (they were so excted to see active YM!!)...

My daughter and I wandered into the chapel, and it was empty, with the exception on one VERY elderly woman... We figured it would be rude to sit on the other side of the room, so we took the pew directly in front of her... I put my bag on the bench, and turned around to introduce myself... This elderly woman, looked at me in disgust, and said, "You can't sit there... That is where Becky and the baby sit!!"...

I calmy said, "Oh, I am sorry... You see, we are new here", and picked up my bag... We moved up to the second row, and sat down... The woman yelled at me from the back of the chapel, "You didn't have to move all the way up there!! All you needed to do was move to the other end of the pew!! Geez!!"...

So, I calmy turned around, and gave her my most sincerely faked smile, and said, "Oh, that's okay... We can see better from here... But, thank you!!"...

That was the beginning of a very difficult time... I almost ended up going inactive!! LOL But, we were blessed to go to a new Branch in 2008... Whew!!

And, I have sat in the second rown ever since!! A creature of habit!!

Silver Girl

8P

Edited by Silver Girl

We had this happen to us in our present ward one day. It made me furious because I had has such a hard time getting my husband to come to church with his phobia of small rooms. I ended up in the foyer in years from fury. We were ready to walk out. Some very nice people told us how upset they were for us. It calmed us down so were able to continue. I just dont get why people are so hurtful. It sure helped me understand why people go inactive.

Edited by annewandering

My pet peeve is when people "reserve" pews with scriptures and bags while they are in administrative meetings before Sacrament.

We had this happen to us in our present ward one day. It made me furious because I had has such a hard time getting my husband to come to church with his phobia of small rooms. I ended up in the foyer in years from fury. We were ready to walk out. Some very nice people told us how upset they were for us. It calmed us down so were able to continue. I just dont get why people are so hurtful. It sure helped me understand why people go inactive.

Daddy G: I'm guilty! When I get to church, the first thing I do is put my scriptures and program down to reserve "my seat" in the third row on the end. That's my seat!! :acute: Just kidding... it does seem that in my ward we do sit in the same places every week. We have so many visitors that I finally did start putting down my scriptures. (I started because after knee replacement surgery I had to be on the end so I could stretch my knee out straight).

Anne... I'm sorry, but people who go inactive over something so superficial irk me... that's like cutting off your nose to spite your face. So what if some clod is disrespectful or whatever... phooey on them... they aren't worth us going inactive and giving up our blessings just because they are jerks. Most people like that are so clueless they don't even realize they are being jerks... in the meantime, the person who let it drive them into inactivity is missing out on the gospel, the spirit, and the blessings.

I try not to be a jerk...

GG

garden girl, i actually agree with you normally. sadly this is my home growing up ward and it has always been a problem here. we tried other seats and were told we couldnt sit there either.the thing is we have so many aches and pains so were hoping to sit in padded seats instead of folding chairs.

time has passed and we now do church at home but not for that reason. its health issues now but we did stick it out for as long as we could. :D

garden girl, i actually agree with you normally. sadly this is my home growing up ward and it has always been a problem here. we tried other seats and were told we couldnt sit there either.the thing is we have so many aches and pains so were hoping to sit in padded seats instead of folding chairs.

time has passed and we now do church at home but not for that reason. its health issues now but we did stick it out for as long as we could. :D

Hello anne...

Is there any way you can see your way clear to attend Church at least once a month... and go early enough that you can get a padded seat? And if anyone says anything about where you choose to sit, just tell them you need a padded seat and stay put. That way you could take sacrament, hear the speakers, and then go home after the sac mtg hour. I hope you can. The rest of the Sundays you could do your usual church at home.

In event, I hope all is well...

GG

We set about three rows from the back, with me on the left end of the pew. There is a very practical reason for this. It allows me to take out my children when they are fussing. Of course, the youngest is now 28 and none have lived at home for nearly a decade, and only once in recent memory did I need to help a young mother take out a child, but there really is a good reason! At least, so we tell ourselves.

And yes, we do wonder if the church is true from any other seat in the chapel. I liked the idea that I saw in the Old North Church in Boston, where congregants could purchase and label their pew (and decorate it - but I'm sure we wouldn't go that far--just the name plate. . .).

I always go early so I can save a whole row for my son and his family with 7 children (well 6 now since one is in college). So I'm guilty of placing a bag to reserve the row. But I can't sit in the hard seats and if I want to sit with the g-kids I have to save the row because they always come in at the last minute. We sit in the middle.

Before my g-kids came to live with me I'd sit in the very back row center pew so I could watch everyone as they came in.

gardengirl it is very kind of you to suggest those ideas to me. sadly we can't. my husband is unable to and I cant leave him alone at home. we do get the sacrament every week so we are good there. :D we love having byutv so that we can watch GA talks and listen to the choir every sunday. if i outlive him then i will go then lol. hoping thats a long way down the road. :D

gardengirl it is very kind of you to suggest those ideas to me. sadly we can't. my husband is unable to and I cant leave him alone at home. we do get the sacrament every week so we are good there. :D we love having byutv so that we can watch GA talks and listen to the choir every sunday. if i outlive him then i will go then lol. hoping thats a long way down the road. :D

I'm glad to know this anne... it was mainly the sacrament I was concerned about, i.e., that you be able to take it...

GG

For those who can't go early and can't handle metal chars, what about taking something like a director's chair or lawn chair. I had a friend who couldn't sit upright for awhile so brought one of these that you could lower yet back of and they just moved a couple of chairs at the back so she could see. Raised a few eyebrows to begin with, but everyone got used to it quickly.

Edited by calmoriah

We had a fellow awaiting back surgery who actually would lie down in a side pew, so before Church his wife would spread out a blanket/pillow. That too raised a few eyebrows but after a couple Sundays everyone got used to it... Surgery was successful, he is mended, and serving in bishopric.

GG