Decency Laws

Questing Beast

Malawi's flatulence bill is of course unenforceable and draconian. But the mentality that would seek to enforce such an ordinance makes me question all so-called decency laws.

The one aspect of this that I see in the near future is PDA: public displays of affection. In a society where heterosexuals have enjoyed a certain amount of "freedom of expression" in this area without censure the issue is rarely brought out. But in the near future, where GLBT couples will expect equal freedom under the law, will the heterosexual majority sit calmly by and watch them doing their share of PDA?

I think not! We are bound to enter a period of time where equal treatment under the law will be a curtailing of heterosexual PDA so that the GLBT community will not offend the majority sensibilities.

Then of course we will hear cries of "you are taking away our freedom of expression!"

So, to what extent do you think any of this will manifest in the near future? Will PDA be forbidden and fined? Or will society resist such "decency laws" in order to enjoy freedom of expression? And by so doing, open society to allow all forms of PDA? Or will society of the future become even more Puritan than the worst definition of that term from the past? The older a culture and its society is, the more it seems to regulate proper public behavior, at the expense of freedom of expression. The USA is still a very new intermingled culture. Even Europe has largely broken away from old norms of public behavior as it severs itself from religious restraints. Will this continue? Or will the heterosexual majority have their way in the end and proscribe GLBT PDA? Or will a new era of public decency laws restrict us all?...

Malawi's flatulence bill is of course unenforceable and draconian. But the mentality that would seek to enforce such an ordinance makes me question all so-called decency laws.

The one aspect of this that I see in the near future is PDA: public displays of affection. In a society where heterosexuals have enjoyed a certain amount of "freedom of expression" in this area without censure the issue is rarely brought out. But in the near future, where GLBT couples will expect equal freedom under the law, will the heterosexual majority sit calmly by and watch them doing their share of PDA?

I think not! We are bound to enter a period of time where equal treatment under the law will be a curtailing of heterosexual PDA so that the GLBT community will not offend the majority sensibilities.

Then of course we will hear cries of "you are taking away our freedom of expression!"

So, to what extent do you think any of this will manifest in the near future? Will PDA be forbidden and fined? Or will society resist such "decency laws" in order to enjoy freedom of expression? And by so doing, open society to allow all forms of PDA? Or will society of the future become even more Puritan than the worst definition of that term from the past? The older a culture and its society is, the more it seems to regulate proper public behavior, at the expense of freedom of expression. The USA is still a very new intermingled culture. Even Europe has largely broken away from old norms of public behavior as it severs itself from religious restraints. Will this continue? Or will the heterosexual majority have their way in the end and proscribe GLBT PDA? Or will a new era of public decency laws restrict us all?...

glbt and pba will continue to grow and spread; its all been foretold and is simply part of the return of babylon and the evils of the world,:P

PDA laws are irrational.

In the United States, sex is public is not tolerated, neither is exposing oneself, however kissing or holding hands is permitted. I can see no reason for legislatures to bother themselves to create laws designed solely to attack a group of people for holding hands or kissing.

men holding hands is sign of friendship in many places, the US presidents, even GWB, did this with foreign leaders.

what of families who kiss each other with a peck on the lips or cheek? the oliver cromwells of the world who know only half the situation, will busybody themselves into a insane frenzy calling the police and reporting every same gender handholding or kiss they see, the police will appear and completely innocent people will be harassed. Let GLBT PDA so that I don't get hassled for giving my Dad or male friends a hug.

------------

within the last year or two a man was arrested for farting in general direction of police officers (this was in the United States).

How did you jump from passing gas to homosexual PDA?

And what are they eating in Malawi that would inspire someone to make a law against public flatuence?

• 2 weeks later...

... within the last year or two a man was arrested for farting in general direction of police officers (this was in the United States).

What'd they charge 'im with, assault on an officer?! :P (What is flatulence in public in that jurisdiction, anyway ... a Class F Misdemeanor?) ;):crazy:

It's been a while since I was able to dig out this gem...

Pioneer Camp, Wednesday, May 26, 1847

To Marshall O.P. Rockwell:

Sir -- You are hereby commanded to bring, wherever found, the body of Col. George Mills, before the Right Reverend Bishop [Edson] Whipple, at his Quarters, there to answer to the following charge, viz.: -- That of emitting in meeting on Sunday last, a sound, a posteriori, (from his seat of honor) somewhat resembling the rumble of distant thunder, or the heavy discharge of artillery, thereby endangering the steadiness of the olfactory nerves of those present as well as diverting their minds from the discourse of the speaker.

Letter to O.P. Rockwell for a mock trial while the Saints were traveling West (around the time they reached Chimney Rock). As cited in Schindler's biography of OPR, Second Edition, pg. 157. Original in possession of the LDS Church Historical Department.

Archived