Seriously No Politics ×

Church Announces Changes to Seminary

10 hours ago, rockpond said:

Regarding online seminary -- a move to doing it more online would be an interesting development in my area where stake leaders have specifically eschewed online seminary and will only let students who cannot find any other possible way to attend, participate online.

We got a letter from a mission president where two of our stake members are serving, explaining that he was no longer allowing missionaries to email back and forth with their families on P-days ... about three months before the Church announced that missionaries can have online chats if they wish. :P

On 3/25/2019 at 4:17 PM, Bernard Gui said:

Trying to cram seminary finals and graduation into the already over-filled senior end times? Tons of stress, and sometimes missed events because of schedule conflicts.

Why not do seminary graduation in April or May?

Or, where there is released time seminary that must coordinate with the high school schedule, continue to hold class up to the end, but cease giving any binding assignments or tests several weeks prior to the end of the academic year. 

1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Or, where there is released time seminary that must coordinate with the high school schedule, continue to hold class up to the end, but cease giving any binding assignments or tests several weeks prior to the end of the academic year. 

Where I live, seminary classes finish in November, about six weeks before the end of the academic year.

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
5 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Where I live, seminary classes finish in November, about six weeks before the end of the academic year.

Isn’t it true that in some countries missionaries must be Seminary “graduates?”

13 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

That seems prudent. 

The problem would arise in states like Utah where released time is granted for seminary classes during the school day. Ceasing to hold seminary classes prior to the end of the academic term would leave an empty class period that schools and students would have to occupy with something else. I’m saying that in such cases, seminary classes could continue to be held up to the end of the year but just not require any assignments or exams during those final weeks. That would relieve some of the stress on busy seniors who are finishing up course work  in other classes and preparing for graduation. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
On 3/25/2019 at 9:56 AM, bluebell said:

My 17 year old son (who will be a senior next year) is sad because with the change in the Seminary schedule, he won't get to have OT ever (that was supposed to be his senior year).  Now he'll get another half of the NT and then some of the BOM again.

A friend says her local institute director is scheduling an OT class for just high school seniors.  Might look into this as an option instead of a study group.  Makes them busier in a busy time, but nice option to have.  If they can't, be sure and take OT in Institute.