Seriously No Politics ×

A Successor To The Maxwell Institute: It'S Time To Start Working On It

If I had a bollion dollars, I would bank roll a succeaor to the Maxwell Institute but I don't.

So what's it gonna be? Koffrord Books? FAIR? Or sonething else? The New Maxwell Institute won't survive for more that....5 years(?). I'm being generous here. Those of us who are in it for the apologetics won't forgive this dumb move. So, what's it gonna be? What will replace MI?

What makes you think the MI will be defunct in 5 years? Because you and a handful of people on this board don't agree with its direction? For every person who disagrees with the new direction one person agrees with it. You don't think the church and BYU have the $ to bankroll the MI into eternity if they really wanted?

This is the best thing that could have happened to DCP and his crowd. Now they can go off and start their own org and write about anything they please and parse out donations anyway they please. They don't have anyone to answer to. Its true freedom and the reason why so many Americans quit their day jobs and start their own companies. Look at guys like Meldrum his independent apologetic operation is making money hand over fist despite mainstream apologists trashing his claims left and right.

I predict the MI will switch gears and appeal to a different crowd and be around longer than 5 years. I also predict DCP and his buddies will bounce back and probably gain a larger following and make more money than they could have while being tied down to a institution like BYU.

What makes you think the MI will be defunct in 5 years? Because you and a handful of people on this board don't agree with its direction? For every person who disagrees with the new direction one person agrees with it. You don't think the church and BYU have the $ to bankroll the MI into eternity if they really wanted?

This is the best thing that could have happened to DCP and his crowd. Now they can go off and start their own org and write about anything they please and parse out donations anyway they please. They don't have anyone to answer to. Its true freedom and the reason why so many Americans quit their day jobs and start their own companies. Look at guys like Meldrum his independent apologetic operation is making money hand over fist despite mainstream apologists trashing his claims left and right.

I predict the MI will switch gears and appeal to a different crowd and be around longer than 5 years. I also predict DCP and his buddies will bounce back and probably gain a larger following and make more money than they could have while being tied down to a institution like BYU.

Wait, you're saying DCP got fired from BYU?

I take a break from this forum for a few days and the whole universe falls to pieces.

Or maybe I've just unexpectedly broken through into some alternate dimension.

This is the best thing that could have happened to DCP and his crowd.

I might have agreed with you if it had been presented as a mutually agreed upon parting of the ways. A dismissal/firing that was made public, including at least two newspapers, claiming that Dan's work was unsatisfactory....

Don't see it as all that great.

Wait, you're saying DCP got fired from BYU?

I take a break from this forum for a few days and the whole universe falls to pieces.

Or maybe I've just unexpectedly broken through into some alternate dimension.

No, he got fired from being editor of the Mormon Studies Journal, formally the FARMS Review ( http://maxwellinstitute.byu.edu/news/index.php?id=150&type=news ). He has essentially resigned the rest of his positions with the Maxwell Institute except for his baby METI ( http://meti.byu.edu/meti_staff.php ), I believe, but this has nothing to do with the rest of his work for BYU.

Quickest way to catch up is probably go to Dr. Hamblin's blog and read starting on June 21st though he said he's not going to be posting anything more about it after his last post about it yesterday. http://mormonscriptureexplorations.wordpress.com/

Edited by calmoriah

I am supporting my eldest daughter through University and have had to temporarily suspend my own post-grad studies to do it. I still have one teenage money vacuum bottomless food pit living at home with my mostly frugal wife and don’t get me started on my 80kg Bullmastiff. Being the glutton for punishment that I am, I have just started not just one but two brand new companies. The time, resource and money to do all these things have been and will continue to be rather extreme. That being said, I will pony up a bit of cash ('bit' being the important word) if an organisation similar to early day FARMS was to be set up. I would also be quite happy to hit up a few people I know here in Australia and back home in New Zealand to do likewise - for the record. Anyone else?.......Bueller, Bueller, Bueller....

Whatever the new organization, I would suggest both scholarship and apologetics or something that implies them in the title. A good deal of what irritated the critics about FARMS, etc., was not only their brand of unapologetic apologetics, but also that they had enough scholarly heft to be undismissable. That's the magic that you want to bottle twice.

So, something like Scholarship in Defense of Mormonism? Scholars in Aid of the Kingdom? The Apologetic Institute for Mormon Scholarship? The Society for Scholarship in Mormon Apologetics?

Of just some variant of FARMS. Replace the F with something else, Institute, Organization, Society, Conference, Clearhinghouse, Collegium, Schola, voila. Or use most of the same words but move them around a little. The Ancient and Modern Mormon Research Foundation. Or just Mormon Research Foundation.

Edited by mrmandias

I don't think the MI will go away, as they have important work going on regarding CPART and METI, etc. That said, I do not think the MSR will last, as they are redirecting it towards non-LDS scholars, which greatly limits its access to LDS. With Dan no more in the picture, the fund raising for MSR will end (at least for a while), especially since many of the donors love FARMS and are interested in the former program.

Brant, as for content, Joe Spencer recently encouraged a group of us to begin mass sending content to the MSR, and then this occurred. It may be that they would be interested in sending quality scholarly articles to a new FARMSish journal. To get an idea, read what Joe, Adam Miller and others have written at saltpress.org.

As for an acronym, how about: "High Def Mormon Studies Review"? We should be able to pick up young students with that one...

FIELDS

Foundation of

Intellectual

Exploration of

Latter

Day

Scripture

I figure it is also a small dig at FARMS as farm and field remind me of each other. Anyway I like it. Now if you guys will start sendng me all your money, I will be president and see that we get this going.

Edited by DBMormon

Joe Spencer recently encouraged a group of us to begin mass sending content to the MSR, and then this occurred. It may be that they would be interested in sending quality scholarly articles to a new FARMSish journal. To get an idea, read what Joe, Adam Miller and others have written at saltpress.org.

Joe Spencer is just the type of young scholar that classic FARMS wanted to encourage and to give voice. I would hope that there will be a place for those voices that is more widely known. Salt Press is a great beginning.

As for an acronym, how about: "High Def Mormon Studies Review"? We should be able to pick up young students with that one...

At least you didn't say "Mo' Def Studies."

Now you're talkin.

The Osmonds could supply Utah office space, a server, and cash to such a non-profit educational foundation and claim the outlays as a charitable contribution on their corporate taxes. Great PR.

Yes, but would the publications be a little bit country, or a little bit rock and roll? :crazy:

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Edited by wenglund

What about these:

1. Department of Apologetic Investigations and Research near the "Y" (DAIRY)
  2. True Apologetic Path Institute of Religious Studies (TAPIRS)
  3. Center for Unorthodox Readings of Egyptian Letters on Obscure Metal Scriptures (CURELOMS)

Edited by Cobalt-70

Great ideas everyone! Those of you who support the original mission and vision of FARMS as a scholarly apologetic institution, and want to see it live on in some form, we've organized a support organization which you can learn about and join at the following links. Here we will keep everyone in the loop, and help spread the word:

http://RestoreFARMS.com/

http://www.facebook.com/RestoreFARMS

http://www.templestudy.com/2012/06/29/restore-farms-support-organization/

I think that, initially at least, the wisest and most economical thing would be to produce an online-only journal. That's where the future is anyway. It would avoid the expense of printing, bookbinding, distribution etc. An attractive PDF or e-book version could be published for download to tablets, e-book readers, smartphones, iPods and other devices

Later, when it is on firm financial footing and a loyal following has been established, perhaps a hard-copy edition could be produced, if there is still a demand for such a thing by then.

Thereafter, this successor could branch out into the publication of other scholarly journals and books.

Maybe some of us (like me) who can't afford to bankroll it could contribute in other ways. I have skills in proofreading and fact checking, for example, and I would donate my labor at no charge.

A loyal following, volunteers, and money won't make a new FARMS reputable. How will you build a reputation as premier tier academic journal without the backing of an academy?

Why not join forces with Dr. Bradford

Dr. Bradford dismissed Dr. Peterson. I am not sure how you think Dr. Peterson and others can "help shape" whatever Dr. Bradford has in mind when Dr. Bradford has cut off the very influence that would be needed.