Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Natural disasters and other global trends


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Sorry to derail your thread Nofear. Here are a couple  of points.

1)Covid-19 seems to be raging in India.  The pandemic may be over in the US but not in the rest of the world. 

2)This round of war between Israel and Hamas may lead to Armageddon as Turkey has proposed to Russia that they teach Israel a lesson. Are they Gog and Maygog of Ezekiel 38-39?

Edited by rodheadlee
Posted
1 hour ago, rodheadlee said:

Sorry to derail your thread Nofear. Here are a couple  of points.

1)Covid-19 seems to be raging in India.  The pandemic may be over in the US but not in the rest of the world. 

2)This round of war between Israel and Hamas may lead to Armageddon as Turkey has proposed to Russia that they teach Israel a lesson. Are they Gog and Maygog of Ezekiel 38-39?

By the wicked are the wicked punished. Pretty much fits.

Posted
6 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

By the wicked are the wicked punished. Pretty much fits.

I'll reserve judgment on who is wicked for God to make. All war is deplorable. If the nations of the world spent all of their war chests on space travel we would already have settled the solar system and have unlimited resources to share. We would also have solar collectors beaming power down to earth and fusion reactors eliminating the need to burn fossil fuels. 

Posted
19 minutes ago, rodheadlee said:

I'll reserve judgment on who is wicked for God to make. All war is deplorable. If the nations of the world spent all of their war chests on space travel we would already have settled the solar system and have unlimited resources to share. We would also have solar collectors beaming power down to earth and fusion reactors eliminating the need to burn fossil fuels. 

I doubt it. Terraforming livable habitats would probably cost more than that. I also do not think space travel will lead to unlimited resources in the short term. 

Posted
8 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I doubt it. Terraforming livable habitats would probably cost more than that. I also do not think space travel will lead to unlimited resources in the short term. 

Ok, resources will seem unlimited. Mining, smelters, construction of large orbital habitats near the source by robots as well as underground habitats on Mars will take a lot of money and motivation. Things like out of control population growth and dwindling resources will lead to war or expansion. 

Posted
3 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

Ok, resources will seem unlimited. Mining, smelters, construction of large orbital habitats near the source by robots as well as underground habitats on Mars will take a lot of money and motivation. Things like out of control population growth and dwindling resources will lead to war or expansion. 

I am not 100% convinced of this. Calculating the cost to tow a palladium asteroid into orbit to mine out and send to Earth still leaves it cheaper to keep mining “busted” sources on Earth. I think the big advantage space will offer is the ability to construct materials in zero gravity. This has a number of strange advantages and may allow manufacturing of items it will be impossible or nearly impossible to construct in gravity.

I don’t know if population will spin out of control. Most societies that develop to a large enough size and modernize seem to hover around population maintenance or slightly above or below it. There are some outliers (looking at you Japan) but if that trend continues that won’t be the problem. If climate shifts that will require a huge rebuild of society. I like exploring space but I am not convinced there is going to be an economic benefit from doing so. I hope there will be. 

Posted

I wonder if the EPA is formulating rules for moon mining.😝 

When Y2K was the big worry I looked up the records in NOAA and other agencies to see if there was an uptick in natural disasters worldwide. Turned out the record over the last 100 years +/- showed nothing exceptional .That was 20 years ago , and despite the constant refrains of " the sky is falling " , there have been cycles of disasters about like now. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

Ok, resources will seem unlimited. Mining, smelters, construction of large orbital habitats near the source by robots as well as underground habitats on Mars will take a lot of money and motivation. Things like out of control population growth and dwindling resources will lead to war or expansion. 

The scary thing about war right now is the state of our military. Have you seen the new army recruitment video?? It's the story of a women with two mom's and the whole video is about her fighting for equality and equal justice, it even has her holding a protest sign, in a army recruitment video!! It's the most pitiful thing I've ever seen, it's actually scary. Actually, go look at Russias new recruitment video, it's an in shape guy full of testosterone ready to kick some butt, you know, what the military use to be for, before we turned into soft puppets. 

 

Edited by AtlanticMike
Posted
7 hours ago, AtlanticMike said:

The scary thing about war right now is the state of our military. Have you seen the new army recruitment video?? It's the story of a women with two mom's and the whole video is about her fighting for equality and equal justice, it even has her holding a protest sign, in a army recruitment video!! It's the most pitiful thing I've ever seen, it's actually scary. Actually, go look at Russias new recruitment video, it's an in shape guy full of testosterone ready to kick some butt, you know, what the military use to be for, before we turned into soft puppets. 

 

Yep we will get creamed 

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...