Jump to content

Teaching English online and overseas


Recommended Posts

My niece and nephew did.  They did it through a company iirc, taught Chinese (both went on Chinese speaking missions).  Neither of them had graduated yet.  Don’t know what a TELF is.  

Link to comment
Just now, Calm said:

My niece and nephew did.  They did it through a company iirc, taught Chinese (both went on Chinese speaking missions).  Neither of them had graduated yet.  Don’t know what a TELF is.  

Ops, my bad that's a typo on my end.  TEFL cert.

TEFL Certification | Accredited TEFL Courses | TEFL Org

I'm considering picking this cert up and branching out into teaching English as another income stream, already have a bachelors.  How hard is it to get into the industry in China?  

Link to comment
51 minutes ago, poptart said:

How hard is it to get into the industry in China?  

No clue.  Sorry.  I will try and find out what companies my relatives used, but no guarantee as they might not respond at least for a couple of months.

Edited by Calm
Link to comment
On 3/3/2021 at 12:28 PM, poptart said:

Ops, my bad that's a typo on my end.  TEFL cert.

TEFL Certification | Accredited TEFL Courses | TEFL Org

I'm considering picking this cert up and branching out into teaching English as another income stream, already have a bachelors.  How hard is it to get into the industry in China?  

One of my former students and his wife have been teaching English to Chinese students online for a couple of years.  Last year, they went to Guatemala to take a certification course they needed in order to go teach in China.  I'm not positive, but I believe they got certified in Guatemala because they love to travel and the course was much cheaper there.  Of course, they were scheduled to go to China last spring, but COVID prevented that.

My understanding from them was that the certification was required to be able to teach in China, but I don't know which specific certification they got.  Both had bachelor's degrees when they started teaching online.  But again, I don't know if a bachelor's degree was required.  My student's wife lived in China for years and speaks fluent Chinese, but I don't believe that mattered for the online teaching.  She was not allowed to speak Chinese during the lessons.

cacheman

Link to comment

I messaged my former student and he told me that they used vipkid for the online teaching.  Vipkid requires a bachelor's degree and provides their own esl certification (that costs nothing).  But,  the certification is solely valid for vipkid.  

Link to comment
7 hours ago, cacheman said:

One of my former students and his wife have been teaching English to Chinese students online for a couple of years.  Last year, they went to Guatemala to take a certification course they needed in order to go teach in China.  I'm not positive, but I believe they got certified in Guatemala because they love to travel and the course was much cheaper there.  Of course, they were scheduled to go to China last spring, but COVID prevented that.

My understanding from them was that the certification was required to be able to teach in China, but I don't know which specific certification they got.  Both had bachelor's degrees when they started teaching online.  But again, I don't know if a bachelor's degree was required.  My student's wife lived in China for years and speaks fluent Chinese, but I don't believe that mattered for the online teaching.  She was not allowed to speak Chinese during the lessons.

cacheman

I heard something similar from a friend, thanks for confirming.  For me one of the appeals is networking overseas as well as the possibility of living/networking in E.Asia.  How easy is it to get into the ESL market in China nowadays?

3 hours ago, cacheman said:

I messaged my former student and he told me that they used vipkid for the online teaching.  Vipkid requires a bachelor's degree and provides their own esl certification (that costs nothing).  But,  the certification is solely valid for vipkid.  

Those were one of the companies I looked into, was curious how that worked.  Have a bachelors, good there.

Link to comment
15 hours ago, poptart said:

I heard something similar from a friend, thanks for confirming.  For me one of the appeals is networking overseas as well as the possibility of living/networking in E.Asia.  How easy is it to get into the ESL market in China nowadays?

Those were one of the companies I looked into, was curious how that worked.  Have a bachelors, good there.

I have friends that do this, it's pretty good money, but the hours sound difficult for a night owl, but okay for an early bird. A real early bird. Can't remember what time, but early! The one gal, a former neighbor, connected to her student when the student's family flew to Utah to meet her. 

Here's an experience by a teacher...https://www.teacherchelsey.com/vipkid-pay-updated/

Also, so cool you've got the bachelors in hand!! 

Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I have friends that do this, it's pretty good money, but the hours sound difficult for a night owl, but okay for an early bird. A real early bird. Can't remember what time, but early! The one gal, a former neighbor, connected to her student when the student's family flew to Utah to meet her. 

Here's an experience by a teacher...https://www.teacherchelsey.com/vipkid-pay-updated/

Also, so cool you've got the bachelors in hand!! 

No issues with being an early bird, I tend to get to bed pretty early.  

It's not a happy story, I kinda got shafted by bad family and that affected my career among other things, anymore it seems like unless you got into a good industry early on you're kinda screwed.  I'm finding out just what kind of liabilities people in the medical profession have.  I'm in an LPN program now, plan on making that be it.  Game plan is to try to get into admin while picking up shifts, i've worked as a CNA/med tech for a while, now that i'm finding out just how much work is involved to get an RN plus how difficult it really is to get into a good hospital relative to the liability and work load, yeah i'm covering my bets a bit more.  I have a bad feeling things are going to get really bad here stateside, as it is I hear stories from IT friends about how people are being laid off, that and recent grads who can find no work.  We have too many people fighting over an ever shrinking pie plus many others who contribute nothing yet still feel entitled to it.  Being able to have an income stream outside the USA, thus access to another pie is looking quite attractive.  Think I mentioned this, had cousins who taught English in Japan, I'd be looking more so at China for now, from what I hear now's the time to break into that part of the business.  

It blows my mind, there are so many people with bachelors and in some cases masters degrees who are either unemployed or underemployed.  Meanwhile costs keep going up, housing plus all the things people growing up a generation or 2 ago have to fight much harder for.  It makes things easier for me since i'm a bachelor, I can dodge a lot of that drama.  Still, i've had to deal with enough issues, Getting to live and work in an E.Asian country for a while would be neat.  Plus, there are opportunities in the Middle East, S.America, E.Europe etc.   Think I can even work there as an LPN if I wanted.

Link to comment
22 minutes ago, poptart said:

No issues with being an early bird, I tend to get to bed pretty early.  

It's not a happy story, I kinda got shafted by bad family and that affected my career among other things, anymore it seems like unless you got into a good industry early on you're kinda screwed.  I'm finding out just what kind of liabilities people in the medical profession have.  I'm in an LPN program now, plan on making that be it.  Game plan is to try to get into admin while picking up shifts, i've worked as a CNA/med tech for a while, now that i'm finding out just how much work is involved to get an RN plus how difficult it really is to get into a good hospital relative to the liability and work load, yeah i'm covering my bets a bit more.  I have a bad feeling things are going to get really bad here stateside, as it is I hear stories from IT friends about how people are being laid off, that and recent grads who can find no work.  We have too many people fighting over an ever shrinking pie plus many others who contribute nothing yet still feel entitled to it.  Being able to have an income stream outside the USA, thus access to another pie is looking quite attractive.  Think I mentioned this, had cousins who taught English in Japan, I'd be looking more so at China for now, from what I hear now's the time to break into that part of the business.  

It blows my mind, there are so many people with bachelors and in some cases masters degrees who are either unemployed or underemployed.  Meanwhile costs keep going up, housing plus all the things people growing up a generation or 2 ago have to fight much harder for.  It makes things easier for me since i'm a bachelor, I can dodge a lot of that drama.  Still, i've had to deal with enough issues, Getting to live and work in an E.Asian country for a while would be neat.  Plus, there are opportunities in the Middle East, S.America, E.Europe etc.   Think I can even work there as an LPN if I wanted.

Sounds to me like you're in a pretty good spot to have the freedom to choose all of these wonderful possibilities. Me, myself and I don't have that kind of freedom, being married to my husband who is very tied to Utah and his job I'm kind of jealous. ;)

My son has a bachelors as well, and he is now working as a plumber self trained or he didn't attend school for it anyway. He doesn't want to stay in that line of work though. So who knows where that will take him. I'm proud that he attained the bachelors, good for you both! 

I hope you attain whatever makes you the happiest, you so deserve it. You sure got the brains! 

Link to comment
12 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Sounds to me like you're in a pretty good spot to have the freedom to choose all of these wonderful possibilities. Me, myself and I don't have that kind of freedom, being married to my husband who is very tied to Utah and his job I'm kind of jealous. ;)

My son has a bachelors as well, and he is now working as a plumber self trained or he didn't attend school for it anyway. He doesn't want to stay in that line of work though. So who knows where that will take him. I'm proud that he attained the bachelors, good for you both! 

I hope you attain whatever makes you the happiest, you so deserve it. You sure got the brains! 

Perspective is everything, look at it this way you have a good husband, guessing a good community in and out of church plus Utah as a state is gorgeous.  One reason why I love hearing about high LDS numbers and conversion rates in places like Utah, it scares the druggies out and encourages wholesome things like outdoor friendly lifestyles.  Plus the alcohol free Luaus are awesome.  Sucks being tied to one place but when you look at the family disfunction you see everywhere around you, I'd say you're fortunate.  Going to assume your son is doing well and living a clean life (I hope....) look how many aren't.  

I'm trying, have to say it's getting harder.

Link to comment
5 minutes ago, poptart said:

Perspective is everything, look at it this way you have a good husband, guessing a good community in and out of church plus Utah as a state is gorgeous.  One reason why I love hearing about high LDS numbers and conversion rates in places like Utah, it scares the druggies out and encourages wholesome things like outdoor friendly lifestyles.  Plus the alcohol free Luaus are awesome.  Sucks being tied to one place but when you look at the family disfunction you see everywhere around you, I'd say you're fortunate.  Going to assume your son is doing well and living a clean life (I hope....) look how many aren't.  

I'm trying, have to say it's getting harder.

My son is doing very well with is wife in Boise Idaho. He loves golf, and he may have chosen the plumbing job to give him some wiggle room to fit in golf. His wife is the adventurous type, currently teaches art in middle school. She's planning a hiking trip with a friend in Yosemite and hiking the Half Dome this summer.  

Thanks for the perspective poptart, yes Utah is a very good place to be, I feel safe, and there are beautiful places to venture to. 

Link to comment
25 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

My son is doing very well with is wife in Boise Idaho. He loves golf, and he may have chosen the plumbing job to give him some wiggle room to fit in golf. His wife is the adventurous type, currently teaches art in middle school. She's planning a hiking trip with a friend in Yosemite and hiking the Half Dome this summer.  

Thanks for the perspective poptart, yes Utah is a very good place to be, I feel safe, and there are beautiful places to venture to. 

Other thing with a trade, freedom of movement, that's why I did what I did with nursing.  Competition for good white collar jobs is getting even worse, that and the long term outlook isn't good even if you can travel in this country.  No idea how all this will play out in the next decade, far as I can tell the USA never really recovered from the last recession, they just tried to sweep it all under the rug and hope all the people who lost theirs would just go away, considering how things are I'd say it's a fair statement that not only did they not just go away, they are very, very angry out outnumber the fortunate few.  Funny, was talking to an LDS friend yesterday, he thought picking up a TEFL cert was a very good idea.  With how things are going having the option to up and go someplace that has more societal stability and access to other resources is very, very attractive right now.  

I hear a lot of people are moving to Idaho nowadays, the fear is they'll end up like CO, the locals outpriced, taxes go up, the culture changes etc.  The homeless problem here is awful now, it keeps getting worse.  I have a bad feeling, unless you have the ability to live/work someplace that's just not doable for most families it's going to eventually get swamped with transplants.  Same with Utah, I hear it's really changed in places.

Link to comment
2 hours ago, poptart said:

Other thing with a trade, freedom of movement, that's why I did what I did with nursing.  Competition for good white collar jobs is getting even worse, that and the long term outlook isn't good even if you can travel in this country.  No idea how all this will play out in the next decade, far as I can tell the USA never really recovered from the last recession, they just tried to sweep it all under the rug and hope all the people who lost theirs would just go away, considering how things are I'd say it's a fair statement that not only did they not just go away, they are very, very angry out outnumber the fortunate few.  Funny, was talking to an LDS friend yesterday, he thought picking up a TEFL cert was a very good idea.  With how things are going having the option to up and go someplace that has more societal stability and access to other resources is very, very attractive right now.  

I hear a lot of people are moving to Idaho nowadays, the fear is they'll end up like CO, the locals outpriced, taxes go up, the culture changes etc.  The homeless problem here is awful now, it keeps getting worse.  I have a bad feeling, unless you have the ability to live/work someplace that's just not doable for most families it's going to eventually get swamped with transplants.  Same with Utah, I hear it's really changed in places.

Currently, they say, Utah is the number one in the US for the best housing market. Which makes it near impossible for first time buyers to get anything decent. So a ton of Californians are moving here and IMO, driving the price up because the home owners here can up the price big time. So give Utah a few years, who knows what it's going to be like. I really feel bad for young people out there, it's a bummer. https://kutv.com/news/local/utah-named-hottest-housing-market-in-us?fbclid=IwAR2mB-ZkuR8YC-4RT5kFwm4QEHEMEVedUXILghJxyi-FMmXeJZP6ARfVgpA

I am obsessed with videos of people that buy a rig and fix it up to live anywhere. I guess you could do that poptart and teach students remotely if you desire. Where are you located currently? Here's the most recent video...

 

Edited by Tacenda
Link to comment
21 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Currently, they say, Utah is the number one in the US for the best housing market. Which makes it near impossible for first time buyers to get anything decent. So a ton of Californians are moving here and IMO, driving the price up because the home owners here can up the price big time. So give Utah a few years, who knows what it's going to be like. I really feel bad for young people out there, it's a bummer. https://kutv.com/news/local/utah-named-hottest-housing-market-in-us?fbclid=IwAR2mB-ZkuR8YC-4RT5kFwm4QEHEMEVedUXILghJxyi-FMmXeJZP6ARfVgpA

I am obsessed with videos of people that buy a rig and fix it up to live anywhere. I guess you could do that poptart and teach students remotely if you desire. Where are you located currently? Here's the most recent video...

 

That makes my blood boil, LDS pioneers literally made a desert habitable and people move in and ruin it for their grand/great grand children.  I have a feeling we're going to see that in a lot of the country, anyplace that has decent schools is fair game.  The I got mine attitude is going to make everyone really, really mean I think.  Will be interesting to see what the powers that be will do, if anything.  

I lived in an RV for a bit as a kid, it has problems.  Here's the thing, if the RV breaks down there goes your home.  There are stages of homelessness, once your car breaks down/can't afford/can't repair it anymore you transition from vehicle to the street/shelters, neither are desireable.  Also, there's another challenge we have to deal with in our day and age, crime, riots etc.  I have a few friends in WA, I was able to get in one of the discords someone had in Seattle, I got to see the chaos last summer first hand, was interesting.  Scary thing with Seattle and any other city, when a riot or natural disaster hits good luck getting out of town.  Anyone who's left behind/can't get out will have to deal with the chaos that follows.  All that being said, living on boats is an option some do, that's actually what i'm considering, just getting a boat and buying land someplace really remote, some do it.  One nice thing about costal areas, you can buy property in places like the Alaskan panhandle and not have much to worry about.  Those areas are very native heavy and controlled.  Also, besides not the best schools the only way in is by boat, plane or a hike through bear country.  I've seen appartments in downtown Ketchikan going for like 50-70k.  Also besides the native population the people in those parts of the country are very, very clannish, the if you're not from here don't come here rule very much applies, especially now they despise outsiders and lower 48 politics.  A single person would have a better shot at it vs. a transplant family, most single people who go up there go for reasons.

You can get used sailboats for like 20-40k.  Nice thing I like about a boat is you can moor them for like 500-800 a month, have downtown access and if something like a riot/natural disaster happens, hoist anchor and watch the chaos happen as you sail off.

Life is Like Sailing - 3 Years in a Tiny Home - A Liveaboard Boat Tour - YouTube

Link to comment
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...