How do you cope, if at all with the rise of secular millenials?

poptart

Just curious if something like this even shows up on your radar as a community of faith.

https://www.pewforum.org/2019/10/17/in-u-s-decline-of-christianity-continues-at-rapid-pace/

I've read among the LDS faithful the decline isn't as bad, mostly because unlike the rest of Chrstiandom here stateside you do tend to have better families and programs to care for your vulnerable.  I'll give you that, you actually care for your own, at least more than what i've seen from the rest of the Christian religion here. 

Here's the thing, those of us who are not or have disaffected due to poor treatment are now quickly outnumbering and outvoting you.  While there are people like me who do try to get along, there are others (A number of them) who want to cause trouble.  The number of us who've either been raised in non religious homes or been harmed by family and other people of faith has grown to the point where you see far more conflict now.  I know a typical response is from Christians is their god will come back to rule and destroy all the people they dislike which tends to be those who are different from them.  I look at my own state and how it's changed politically from what it was, big reason why is because besides transplants groups like focus on the family were quite, quite mean.  I remember when this happened here, among the even then shrinking religious population they took his side and believed him when he said he repented, the rest of us?  Not so much.

https://www.denverpost.com/2006/11/01/pastor-takes-leave-amid-allegations-of-gay-sex/

With the likes of us now representing a sizeable voting clout, is there any attempt at all to reach out and be nice, or is it still ye olde us vs. them model?

On 10/24/2020 at 12:07 PM, poptart said:

Just curious if something like this even shows up on your radar as a community of faith.

https://www.pewforum.org/2019/10/17/in-u-s-decline-of-christianity-continues-at-rapid-pace/

I've read among the LDS faithful the decline isn't as bad, mostly because unlike the rest of Chrstiandom here stateside you do tend to have better families and programs to care for your vulnerable.  I'll give you that, you actually care for your own, at least more than what i've seen from the rest of the Christian religion here. 

Here's the thing, those of us who are not or have disaffected due to poor treatment are now quickly outnumbering and outvoting you.  While there are people like me who do try to get along, there are others (A number of them) who want to cause trouble.  The number of us who've either been raised in non religious homes or been harmed by family and other people of faith has grown to the point where you see far more conflict now.  I know a typical response is from Christians is their god will come back to rule and destroy all the people they dislike which tends to be those who are different from them.  I look at my own state and how it's changed politically from what it was, big reason why is because besides transplants groups like focus on the family were quite, quite mean.  I remember when this happened here, among the even then shrinking religious population they took his side and believed him when he said he repented, the rest of us?  Not so much.

https://www.denverpost.com/2006/11/01/pastor-takes-leave-amid-allegations-of-gay-sex/

With the likes of us now representing a sizeable voting clout, is there any attempt at all to reach out and be nice, or is it still ye olde us vs. them model?

This conflict between generations is hardly new or unique. Just look at the 1960s to see conflicts that were just as bad, if not worse, than what we see today.

Children need to grow up and gain experience. My position is to just be patient and it won't be long before they see that their parents are not as stupid as they once thought. They themselves will have gained a little bit of humility and realized they really don't have all the answers.

One of the great weaknesses of this generation that I see is they are just not teachable. They are pretty stiff-necked and arrogant. Worse, is that their education has been poor and they have huge blind spots in their understanding of history and economics. They have been taught to riot, protest, and disrupt without having any understanding of the results or the ability to understand the results of their choices.  

Edited by Storm Rider
15 minutes ago, Storm Rider said:

This conflict between generations is hardly new or unique. Just look at the 1960s to see conflicts that were just as bad, if not worse, than what we see today.

Children need to grow up and gain experience. My position is to just be patient and it won't be long  before they see that their parents were not as stupid as they once thought and they themselves have gained a little bit of humility and realized they really don't have all the answers.

One of the great weaknesses of this generation that I see is they just are teachable. They are pretty stiff-necked and arrogant. Worse, is that their education has been poor and they simply have huge blind spots in their understanding of history and economics. They have been taught to riot, protest, and disrupt without having any understanding of the results.  

Funny you should bring up the 1960's, I talk about that with older friends a lot, especially nowadays.  Most of them were vietnam vets, one was a marine who ended up a riot cop in Chicago and Detroit, he has interesting stories.  They all more or less say the same thing in this regard, we're in for some very rough times.  There's a lot more of us, they outsourced everything and what moral stability we had is well, gone. 

Oh man you're preaching to the choir my generation sucks.  They're arrogant, entitled people who expect the world handed to them on a silver platter.  Irritates me how they blame the boomers for everything, way I see it they've had the ball in their court since Obama's first term.  Sure, times were bad but that's life, they could have done things differently.  What did they do?  Backstab each other and do nothing as millions lost everything.  The rioting irritates me, you can see the entitlement there.  WHen things got bad they had the nerve to expect law enforcement to step in and protect them from the consequences of their actions.  Lets see what they do when cops are defunded and people get real mean, know I'd have no sympathy for their lot, that's actually going to be a prime source of free entertainment for me, already has been.  Watching the riots and fallout has put a huge smile on my face. 

Will say this, some of us are very, very clever when it comes to navigating the current mess we're in.  Due to my field I can opt out of a lot of things but you had better believe a lot of us know how to lie and manipulate things on social media to our advantage.  As it is now, for most decent white collar fields they not only expect to see social media, they want an active social media presence.  Basically, you have none of those?  No Job.  That being said, hmmmm if I have to play the game why not play it in a way that not only makes me look good, it also protects me from workplace backstabbing?  Well golly gee!  I'm gonna post subtle yet obvious woke political things that make me look like I have friends with those circles.  To seal the deal, will post a few times a year very, very pro LGBTQ things and play off a classical American stereotype of single men, if they're child free past a certain age and have a good white collar job, they might be gay.  People used to be quite nasty with that, anymore the civil rights that gives you is quite nice.  In my case, it's true and it gives me spectacular workplace protections.  There's a lot more of the likes of me out there than I think a lot of people realize, we're just a weee bit sneaky.....

On 10/24/2020 at 1:13 PM, Storm Rider said:

One of the great weaknesses of this generation that I see is they are just not teachable. They are pretty stiff-necked and arrogant. Worse, is that their education has been poor and they have huge blind spots in their understanding of history and economics. They have been taught to riot, protest, and disrupt without having any understanding of the results or the ability to understand the results of their choices.  

I would argue this is true of every generation in my lifetime and still is for all of them. The idea that the kids will “grow out of it” talking about the Millenials is a bit off. The Millenials are adults now and many are in their 30s. 

5 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I would argue this is true of every generation in my lifetime and still is for all of them. The idea that the kids will “grow out of it” talking about the Millenials is a bit off. The Millenials are adults now and many are in their 30s. 

Exactly, the way many of them are now will be most likely how they will be till they die.  If they fail and further ruin what was handed to them they can't deny they had a hand in it.  Natural selection applies to all in the end.

On 10/24/2020 at 5:07 PM, poptart said:

The amusing part of this is that as religious observance decreases, it makes those who are visibly religious much more unusual. And the militant atheists start pointing out these unusual folks, as if there was some threat. One science fiction series I enjoy (the Bobiverse) starts out with the premise just the USA is taken over by fanatic Christians (in an election, no less) some time around 2025ish, and they turn the country into a theocracy.  And then in the subreddit devoted to this series, many of the series' fans sometimes talk about how plausible this is, and that they are afraid of it.  It's amazing how anyone could think this is possible. In fact, it's almost borderline conspiracy theory.

When I pointed out to these people that it used to be the case (in my lifetime) that most of country's population attended church on a regular basis, and even then nothing like that was ever even contemplated, they just didn't get it. 

Edited by Stargazer
1 hour ago, Stargazer said:

The amusing part of this is that as religious observance decreases, it makes those who are visibly religious much more unusual. And the militant atheists start pointing out these unusual folks, as if there was some threat. One science fiction series I enjoy (the Bobiverse) starts out with the premise just the USA is taken over by fanatic Christians (in an election, no less) some time around 2025ish, and they turn the country into a theocracy.  And then in the subreddit devoted to this series, many of the series' fans sometimes talk about how plausible this is, and that they are afraid of it.  It's amazing how anyone could think this is possible. In fact, it's almost borderline conspiracy theory.

When I pointed out to these people that it used to be the case (in my lifetime) that most of country's population attended church on a regular basis, and even then nothing like that was ever even contemplated, they just didn't get it. 

So in other words, it all comes down to unchecked privilege.  Funny how religious people here as a people seem to act, my way or the highway, everyone else is wrong but me, despite what leaders of my religion in other countries might say (Pope Francis), when I'm called out it's blessed are the persecuted for my sake till it affects me and my own then it's REEEE!  Muh persecution!  Jesus is gonna come back real soon and kill all the gays/non Christians!  It's the end of the world!!

Edited by poptart
On 10/30/2020 at 5:43 PM, poptart said:

So in other words, it all comes down to unchecked privilege.  Funny how religious people here as a people seem to act, my way or the highway, everyone else is wrong but me, despite what leaders of my religion in other countries might say (Pope Francis), when I'm called out it's blessed are the persecuted for my sake till it affects me and my own then it's REEEE!  Muh persecution!  Jesus is gonna come back real soon and kill all the gays/non Christians!  It's the end of the world!!

I'm trying to figure out how this is a response to what I wrote.