Ben Shapiro Interviews Orson Scott Card

I'm putting this out there just to let folks know about the interview. It just came out today.  I found it quite interesting because I am have ambitions to be a writer, and Card does talk about his process, among other things.  Actually, this seems less an interview than Card pontificating after Shapiro asks the occasional question.

Just in case you don't know who Orson Scott Card is, think of the novel Ender's Game.

Of course, Card is a controversial figure because of his politics, but this is not why I'm posting this. I am posting this because Card is believing LDS and he talks about the Church a few times, where he served his mission (Brazil) and how hard it is to put LDS beliefs into novels because he just knows his coreligionists are going to hate how he portrays the religion, and so on.  Of course, this being Ben Shapiro, politics are going to be talked about in the interview, so trigger warning.  It isn't particularly political until just after halfway.  So, if you have problems with that, just stop listening at that point, or skip ahead because the discussion gets past politics and gets back into writing and films and so on. 

Please don't discuss your reactions to the politics here in this thread because, as you know, Politics are VERBOTEN here!  However, it would be interesting to hear your reactions to how he talks about religion in science fiction and so on. 

Edited by Stargazer

Cool. I think there is a whole planet of Mormons in the Honor Harrington series by David Weber. There is occasional bad language in the novels but in my opinion they are excellent sci-fi. The Graysons migrated to a planet far from earth and they are mostly from Idaho with many Mormon cultural and religious customs.I think David is an outstanding author with great character development. The series should be read in order. There are fill in short stories and a side series called the Honorverse that features different characters from the same galaxy/time period.

11 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

Cool. I think there is a whole planet of Mormons in the Honor Harrington series by David Weber. There is occasional bad language in the novels but in my opinion they are excellent sci-fi. The Graysons migrated to a planet far from earth and they are mostly from Idaho with many Mormon cultural and religious customs.I think David is an outstanding author with great character development. The series should be read in order. There are fill in short stories and a side series called the Honorverse that features different characters from the same galaxy/time period.

I've read a bit out of the Honorverse, but wanted to read in it by internal chronological order. I wasn't able to find such an ordering -- probably because I haven't looked hard enough.

10 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Mormonism and Mormons show up in various SciFi stories and TV series: Stranger in a Strange Land, Hyperion, Contact, Lucifer's Hammer, The Stand, Snow Crash, Teachings of Don Juan, The Expanse, Battlestar Galactica, etc.

https://juvenileinstructor.org/mormons-in-speculative-fiction/

There's also that execrable film version of Heinlein's Starship Troopers, where "Mormon extremists" on a planet are wiped out by Bugs.

3 hours ago, Stargazer said:

There's also that execrable film version of Heinlein's Starship Troopers, where "Mormon extremists" on a planet are wiped out by Bugs.

I also forgot to include Zenna Henderson's The People, which was made into a 1972 film (script by Henderson herself).

ETA: Here is a clip from it with William Shatner,

Edited by Robert F. Smith

Was this the one made into Escape to Witch Mountain?

Added:  not that was Alexander Key.  I read Henderson as well as Key back in Junior High.  They had a very good s I fic section.  Several series I wish I could remember now I can get used books online.

Edited by Calm
20 minutes ago, Calm said:

Was this the one made into Escape to Witch Mountain?

Added:  not that was Alexander Key.  I read Henderson as well as Key back in Junior High.  They had a very good s I fic section.  Several series I wish I could remember now I can get used books online.

I was never able to find out whether Henderson was a Mormon, but as a schoolteacher in Arizona she certainly taught a lot of Mormons.  I thought her "The People" was semi-autobiographical.

3 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

I was never able to find out whether Henderson was a Mormon, but as a schoolteacher in Arizona she certainly taught a lot of Mormons.  I thought her "The People" was semi-autobiographical.

From her bio on Wiki:

“Henderson was born and baptized into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Though she never renounced her membership, after her marriage, she was no longer a churchgoing Latter-day Saint.[8] In the standard reference Contemporary Authors, she identified as Methodist,[12] and according to Science Fiction and Fantasy Literature, Volume 2, she was a member of Catalina United Methodist Church in Tucson.[13] During her later years, she attended an independent charismatic fellowship.[

Edited by Okrahomer
35 minutes ago, Okrahomer said:

From her bio on Wiki:

“Henderson was born and baptized into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Though she never renounced her membership, after her marriage, she was no longer a churchgoing Latter-day Saint.[8] In the standard reference Contemporary Authors, she identified as Methodist,[12] and according to Science Fiction and Fantasy Literature, Volume 2, she was a member of Catalina United Methodist Church in Tucson.[13] During her later years, she attended an independent charismatic fellowship.[

Thanks.  I did my research on her decades ago when there was no internet.  This confirms for me her basic underlying thesis for The People from another world, which they referred to as the home.  I recall reading her story decades before that and immediately thinking that she was talking about the Mormon people.

3 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

Cool!  But that seems to be a list of his books in publication order, not internal chronological. I'll see if that's to be found on the website.

I find it interesting that Jerry Pournelle's final book in his Janissaries series, which was incomplete at the time of his death in 2017, will shortly be coming out after being finished by Pournelles son, Phillip, and David Weber!