Robert O'Brien new NSA for President Trump is LDS

bsjkki

I had not realized this until today but Robert O'Brien is a member. He served a mission in South Africa. He did not attend BYU or any church schools and was raised in California. This part of his pedigree is not mentioned in most articles on the appointment. This article in the LA Times does mention his son tragically died right before serving a mission.  https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2019-09-18/robert-obrien-is-an-unlikely-pick-for-trumps-national-security-advisor

"He moved to La Cañada Flintridge decades ago, and raised two children there. His son Robert died in an accidental drowning in September 2015, a few months after his high school graduation and just as he was poised to embark on a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."  

The Washington Post mentions, "Upon taking the job, O’Brien will become the highest-ranking Mormon in the U.S. government, an important development for a religious community that has shown some skepticism of Trump and will be a closely watched voting demographic in states such as Arizona. O’Brien converted from Catholicism in his 20s. I had missed this blurb in the Deseret News. http://www.ldsliving.com/Latter-day-Saint-Appointed-as-New-National-Security-Adviser/s/91605

On 9/24/2019 at 8:03 PM, blarsen said:

You forgot to mention that this the high ranking member of the Twelve in Eisenhower's cabinet, whose name we will not mention, later became President of the Church.

Because ETB was such a stalwart conservative?  Who made you shiver in your boots?

51 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Should we start a pool on how long he lasts?

Depending on if he is closer to Trump than to Mitt Romney.

3 hours ago, blarsen said:

Are you saying ETB made you shiver in your boots?

No.  He sent a tingle up my legs.  Just kidding, I am mocking Chris Matthews - - -

Chris Matthews: “I Felt This Thrill Going Up My Leg” As Obama Spoke

5bb5ceb32100000001c8751d.jpeg?ops=scalef

Last night during MSNBC‘s Potomac Primary coverage, Chris Matthews and Keith Olbermann were discussing Barack Obama‘s speech. Matthews — who, in the past, has both cried over an Obama speech and compared him to Jesus — described exactly what happens to him when Obama speaks:

I have to tell you, you know, it’s part of reporting this case, this election, the feeling most people get when they hear Barack Obama’s speech. My, I felt this thrill going up my leg. I mean, I don’t have that too often.

On 9/26/2019 at 6:59 PM, longview said:

No.  He sent a tingle up my legs.  Just kidding, I am mocking Chris Matthews - - -

Chris Matthews: “I Felt This Thrill Going Up My Leg” As Obama Spoke

5bb5ceb32100000001c8751d.jpeg?ops=scalef

Last night during MSNBC‘s Potomac Primary coverage, Chris Matthews and Keith Olbermann were discussing Barack Obama‘s speech. Matthews — who, in the past, has both cried over an Obama speech and compared him to Jesus — described exactly what happens to him when Obama speaks:

I have to tell you, you know, it’s part of reporting this case, this election, the feeling most people get when they hear Barack Obama’s speech. My, I felt this thrill going up my leg. I mean, I don’t have that too often.

You really want to go down that road when your current favored candidate is calling himself the "Chosen One" and delights in messianic fawning praise that he is like the King of Israel?

I used to think the Evangelical rapture stories were stupid and idiotic because people fell for a guy blatantly trying to make himself look like a replacement for Jesus. Now one shows up and the ones who think they are "in the know" on the whole AntiChrist thing are hailing him as the greatest thing ever. I guess they are as stupid as they thought everyone else was.

Edited by The Nehor
12 hours ago, The Nehor said:

You really want to go down that road when your current favored candidate is calling himself the "Chosen One" - - -

Sorry, I did not mean to denigrate your favored "newscaster".  Of course everything he says about the president is accurate, above board and verifiable.

As we all know, the president is not afraid to push back against the press gaggle.  Frequently he will use sarcasm.  This he did with the 'chosen one' mockery.  No need for you to be hypersensitive about his use of sarcasm.  A comment from one of the articles about this incident:

Dan Fritz

"Trump doesn't do sarcasm". Sure he does. You are either too partisan to "get it", or else you deliberately don't "get it" for partisan reasons.  Either way, you don't get it, and it's hilarious to those of us who do get it. Case in point:

"Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing. I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press.” (you heard this as a serious plea for Russian collusion)

"I’ll say it with great respect: Number one, she’s not my type," he said during an interview with The Hill. "Number two, it never happened. It never happened, OK?” 
(Mika said the next day that "Trump said that he would rape a woman if she was his type")

When he said "I am the chosen one", I laughed out loud. I just KNEW what the media was going to do with that one.  Trump has a sense of humor. You do not (or don't want to). Out of respect for you, I choose to believe that you just don't want to.
Edited by longview
1 hour ago, longview said:

Sorry, I did not mean to denigrate your favored "newscaster".  Of course everything he says about the president is accurate, above board and verifiable.

As we all know, the president is not afraid to push back against the press gaggle.  Frequently he will use sarcasm.  This he did with the 'chosen one' mockery.  No need for you to be hypersensitive about his use of sarcasm.  A comment from one of the articles about this incident:

Dan Fritz

"Trump doesn't do sarcasm". Sure he does. You are either too partisan to "get it", or else you deliberately don't "get it" for partisan reasons.  Either way, you don't get it, and it's hilarious to those of us who do get it. Case in point:

"Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing. I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press.” (you heard this as a serious plea for Russian collusion)

"I’ll say it with great respect: Number one, she’s not my type," he said during an interview with The Hill. "Number two, it never happened. It never happened, OK?” 
(Mika said the next day that "Trump said that he would rape a woman if she was his type")

When he said "I am the chosen one", I laughed out loud. I just KNEW what the media was going to do with that one.  Trump has a sense of humor. You do not (or don't want to). Out of respect for you, I choose to believe that you just don't want to.

Yes, I am well known around these parts for having no sense of humor.

That is a creative defense though also a stupid and unsupportable one. Sarcasm is used in a specific way. There is a cadence to the voice, a wry knowing wit, and when someone takes it seriously you have a good laugh and point out the error. He did none of those. Defense rejected. You are trying to see wit in blathering stupidity and wry self deprecation in a man too insecure to mock himself.

Edited by The Nehor
2 hours ago, The Nehor said:

He did none of those. Defense rejected. You are trying to see wit in blathering stupidity and wry self deprecation in a man too insecure to mock himself.

His joke about the 30K emails was fantastic.  Not defense, but offense doubled down!  Proof your response is conditioned with extreme prejudice.  So we part ways here.