Sacrament Meeting - Earth Day

NorthboundZax

For reasons that are not clear to me, I am only allowed to post a topic on this forum, so I guess it will go here instead of General Discussions.

I have been asked to speak in Sacrament Meeting on Earth Day and I was wondering what themes people here might suggest. I am probably going to draw a fair amount from the video below, but I'd like to hear other ideas as well.

Our Sacred Stewardship

Thanks in advance.

I don't know that we speak often of what doctrine tells us about taking care of the physical world we live in.   I'm glad that you are speaking of that.   I'd urge you not to use the "earth day" appellation, though as that will turn members who think that caring for our world is a political issue and doesn't matter because the world will be destroyed and renewed anyway.   And I would urge to stick with the scriptural and stewardship conference talks.   There is plenty in there that support:

Not wasting

Frugality

Not seeking after things or playing to the Jones, and not judging based on fine clothes or jobs etc.

Gratitude

Appreciation for beauty

Renewal

That animals have purpose on earth too.

The purposes for which this earth was organized.

Bless the Beasts and Children...and..also..Plant your own Garden and Decorate your soul.:P   You are so lucky to have a topic that is spiritual that can define nature with God.  For many people like me..the Earth is my chapel.  Good luck..return and report!

12 hours ago, bluebell said:

Interesting topic!  Once you have 25 posts you'll be able to start threads in the general forum.  Welcome to the board.

Thanks. I used to post here years ago, but all those posts seem to have been scrubbed - apparently, along with my credit to post in General Discussion.

6 hours ago, rpn said:

I don't know that we speak often of what doctrine tells us about taking care of the physical world we live in.   I'm glad that you are speaking of that.   I'd urge you not to use the "earth day" appellation, though as that will turn members who think that caring for our world is a political issue and doesn't matter because the world will be destroyed and renewed anyway.   And I would urge to stick with the scriptural and stewardship conference talks.   There is plenty in there that support:

Not wasting

Frugality

Not seeking after things or playing to the Jones, and not judging based on fine clothes or jobs etc.

Gratitude

Appreciation for beauty

Renewal

That animals have purpose on earth too.

The purposes for which this earth was organized.

I'm not going to shy away from the term Earth Day. I like your list.

6 hours ago, Jeanne said:

Bless the Beasts and Children...and..also..Plant your own Garden and Decorate your soul.:P   You are so lucky to have a topic that is spiritual that can define nature with God.  For many people like me..the Earth is my chapel.  Good luck..return and report!

Care to elaborate what you mean by 'decorate your soul'? I'd love to hear more from someone that views the Earth as their chapel.

17 hours ago, NorthboundZax said:

Care to elaborate what you mean by 'decorate your soul'? I'd love to hear more from someone that views the Earth as their chapel.

The part about planting your own garden and decorating your own soul...comes from a poem by Elisabeth Shoftstall...(not sure about the first name)...it is so beautiful.  I find great stillness and quiet in nature..in evenings..in snow..walking hills..and an ocean with full moon..there is not doubt then..there is a God..and I speak to him with a reverence ..thinking things through..listening to an inner voice that speaks to what is right for me.

You probably don't want to get into the fact that the founder of Earth Day, Ira Einhorn, murdered and composted his girlfriend.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/42711922/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/earth-day-co-founder-killed-composted-girlfriend/

They kind of leave that part out when they encourage students to push for environmentalism and conservation in school. 

I do have to say that I've never heard of an Earth Day topic for sacrament meeting! I couldn't tell you when Earth Day is if my life depended on it. 

53 minutes ago, rongo said:

You probably don't want to get into the fact that the founder of Earth Day, Ira Einhorn, murdered and composted his girlfriend.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/42711922/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/earth-day-co-founder-killed-composted-girlfriend/

They kind of leave that part out when they encourage students to push for environmentalism and conservation in school. 

I do have to say that I've never heard of an Earth Day topic for sacrament meeting! I couldn't tell you when Earth Day is if my life depended on it. 

It is late April. You are right that there is no reason to get into that. It is pretty irrelevant to the value that can be found in it.