Seriously No Politics ×

#Never Again

snowflake

2 hours ago, bluebell said:

I'm not looking for information on assault weapon bans.  I'm looking for information that will support your statement that arming teachers is dumb.  Can you provide that?

I don't feel the need to back that up, any more than I would feel the need to back up the idea that stepping on a rake is dumb. Armed teachers = more opportunities for kids to get guns at school (by stealing them from teachers), more friendly fire, etc. Not to mention we don't have funding already for books and proper facilities. Who's going to pay for millions of Glocks for educators?

Speaking to the graph, it's very interesting.  Why did the number on incidents of gun massacres increase 3 fold between 1984-1994 and 2001-2014?  If assault weapon availability is the issue driving gun violence then you would think that the incidents would be similar for those decades. 

I think this article from factcheck.org sums up the ban results pretty fairly.  (They aren't the results that each side claims they were).

The Kremlin-backed NRA and GOP have been pushing for a number of laws that have made it easier and easier for unstable people to get easy access to deadly weapons.

It must be time to close the thread.

1 hour ago, bluebell said:

You might as well post "Please ignore everything I say" before saying this kind of stuff.  Because all it does it cause those people that you need to convince to feel justified in ignoring everything you say.

I hope someday Americans can come together and decide they love their children more than they love their fun but deadly toys.

1 minute ago, Tacenda said:

I sat with several teachers during lunch today, and they said they wouldn't want to have to use a gun, but one of them said that we should display signs that there are teachers carrying them. Sort of like the signs people put in their yards saying it's under security survellience when it's really not. Anything to deter a possible shooter I guess. 

Or make sure teachers are the first targets.

1 hour ago, snowflake said:

Military weapons are all illegal! You cannot own or buy a fully automatic weapon (except in very rare instances).

AR-15 is similar to what troops are carrying. Add a bump stock and they become fully automatic. Semi-automatic should be illegal for civilian use.

3 hours ago, snowflake said:

Wow, you really don't know what you are talking about... do you Nehor?  AR-15's are popular because of their light weight, mid range knock down power which is perfect for medium size game, adjustable stocks, sights, rails, and these weapons are easy to customize which gun people love. They have a shorter barrel which is an advantage in close quarters and heavy cover. Larger magazines, yes. More stopping power....no.  And the 2nd A was not designed to protect hunters.  

Yes, easily customized with different calibers for more stopping power. What part do I know nothing about again?

You are right. The Second Amendment was primarily about being able to organize a group of armed civilians to shoot redcoats, Frenchmen, and Indians who threaten your community. If they are a threat in your area I hope you are well armed.

22 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

“When someone smites you on the cheek mow them down before they can get the other one.”

Funny. ;)

Alma 43:47 And again, the Lord has said that: Ye shall defend your families even unto bloodshed. Therefore for this cause were the Nephites contending with the Lamanites, to defend themselves, and their families, and their lands, their country, and their rights, and their religion.

42 minutes ago, Calm said:

Pretty obvious why conversations on control rarely go anywhere...

This is probably a derailment, but the whole topic is most likely against board rules so I am don't feel the need to be careful...I will even quote myself so it seems like I am contributing to the conversation rather than posting random thoughts.

More evidence that people don't care enough about the real issues to put effort into actual debate and instead supposedly reasonable, intelligent people are appealing to the conspiracy theory that the actual victims speaking out aren't real victims after all, but so-called "crisis actors". 

Normally I would ignore such things, but when it is people in the government approving of such claims...this is so disrespectful,of the school,and greater community.

"As for the public figures, Donald Trump Jr. “liked” a tweet promoting a storysuggesting that one of the students was part of a “deep state” conspiracy. Benjamin Kelly, an aide to a Florida state representative, told a reporter that two of the most outspoken students were actors. (Kelly has since been fired.) And Daryl Metcalfe, a Pennsylvania state representative, suggested on Twitter and Facebook that the teens weren’t actually students by repeatedly using quotation marks around the word “students.”"

https://www.factcheck.org/2018/02/no-crisis-actors-parkland-florida/

Edited by Calm