Jump to content

Salt Lake Trib wins Pulitzer


bsjkki

Recommended Posts

"For a string of vivid reports revealing the perverse, punitive and cruel treatment given to sexual assault victims at Brigham Young University, one of Utah’s most powerful institutions."

Ouch! Harsh, but accurate. 

Link to comment
10 hours ago, Gray said:

"For a string of vivid reports revealing the perverse, punitive and cruel treatment given to sexual assault victims at Brigham Young University, one of Utah’s most powerful institutions."

Ouch! Harsh, but accurate. 

During his 1983 Commencement Address, Hugh Nibley said, "But at BYU we don't ask any questions," followed by a knowing laugh from the students there assembled.  Most of them were unaware of Nibley's decades of social criticism of BYU, nor of the real reason why he made such statements.  Hugh was a product of UCLA and of U.C. Berkeley, where the students were always expected to ask hard questions and could not be diverted from it by dismissive or authoritarian responses.  What is important to realize is that the Brethren loved and encouraged him.

We are here on Earth trying to work out our salvation.  Along the way, we ought to practice what we preach and not just go along to get along.

Link to comment
12 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

During his 1983 Commencement Address, Hugh Nibley said, "But at BYU we don't ask any questions," followed by a knowing laugh from the students there assembled.  Most of them were unaware of Nibley's decades of social criticism of BYU, nor of the real reason why he made such statements.  Hugh was a product of UCLA and of U.C. Berkeley, where the students were always expected to ask hard questions and could not be diverted from it by dismissive or authoritarian responses.  What is important to realize is that the Brethren loved and encouraged him.

We are here on Earth trying to work out our salvation.  Along the way, we ought to practice what we preach and not just go along to get along.

Wise words, Robert. 

Link to comment
9 hours ago, strappinglad said:

Unfortunately, bastions of free speech such as Berkeley and other universities have shown in recent times to be against the questioning of the prevailing attitudes . I suppose it depends on whose ox is being gored.

Yes, the totalitarian Left can be every bit as dangerous as the totalitarian Right.  Still, the classroom continues to be a bastion of free speech at the better universities, and professors tend to give better grades to the more rigorous thinkers.

Link to comment
55 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Yes, the totalitarian Left can be every bit as dangerous as the totalitarian Right.  Still, the classroom continues to be a bastion of free speech at the better universities, and professors tend to give better grades to the more rigorous thinkers.

I'm the product of that bastion of university totalitarian Leftism BYU. :lol:

Link to comment
1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

Yeah, can't stand the guy. You bring something up with him and he pleads ignorance on the subject and then disingenuously and smugly he asks leading questions to try to tear your argument apart. Do not invite him to parties. Talk about a wet blanket.

You're all heart, Nehor.  B:)

Link to comment
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...