Washington Post: DC temple top place for Christmas Lights

Okrahomer

The Washington Post includes the Washington D.C. LDS Temple as one of its "4 Places to see D.C.'s best Christmas Lights".  

The story photo is a picture of the Temple grounds aglow with Christmas lighting and this caption:  "It's a little known fact that Clark Griswold took his inspiration from the D.C. Mormon Temple". 

The accompanying story includes this:  "Fun fact: Basically every kid who grew up in the D.C. area thought at one point that the temple was Disney World."  :)

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, VideoGameJunkie said:

The Washington DC temple was the very first temple I ever went to because we had to drive there from Boston to do baptisms because Boston hadn't dedicated it's temple yet.

I was allowed to stop in Washington D.C. for a few days after my mission to Germany years ago.  In addition to a couple of sessions in the Temple, I also enjoyed a unique visitors' center experience there.  I doubt it's still the same, but the way they infused humor into some of the presentations was very refreshing.

That makes the Los Angeles Temple look pathetic.  The lights here are strung up by volunteers and they only reach halfway up the bushes and trees.  After seeing the displays at Temple Square and now this, I can't imagine what is going wrong here.

Fun fact: Basically every kid who grew up in the D.C. area thought at one point that the temple was Disney World.

Kids in San Diego would be justified in thinking this as well, and being a little disappointed when they see the real Disney World castle in comparison.

58 minutes ago, cinepro said:

Kids in San Diego would be justified in thinking this as well, and being a little disappointed when they see the real Disney World castle in comparison.

There is a Jewish deli near the San Diego Temple.  My wife and I like the matzo ball soup there.  It's fun to see the amateur art displayed on their walls.  The Temple figures prominently into most of it.

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 2:39 AM, VideoGameJunkie said:

The Washington DC temple was the very first temple I ever went to because we had to drive there from Boston to do baptisms because Boston hadn't dedicated it's temple yet.

It's kinda cool when you come around the bend going west on the Capital Beltway and the temple appears directly in front of you.  And the "Surrender Dorothy" graffiti on the nearby overpass never gets old.

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 10:47 PM, cinepro said:

That makes the Los Angeles Temple look pathetic.  The lights here are strung up by volunteers and they only reach halfway up the bushes and trees.  After seeing the displays at Temple Square and now this, I can't imagine what is going wrong here.

There are lots of single adults in the DC area (they recently created a Washington DC Singles stake) so they have lots of free labor.  It's also a favorite stop for LDS politicians to bring lobbyists and foreign diplomats so maybe the church feels it's a better investment than godless Los Angeles :)

I heard today that there were around 89,000 visitors to the temple during the month long festival of lights last year.  This year they've estimated 120,000 visitors.