Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

How Much Do We Value Free Agency?


Recommended Posts

Posted

Oh, so you're not really interested in substantive discussion, you simply want to play semantic "Gotcha!" games.  OK.  Thanks for clearing that up.  It'll help me decide how much attention to pay to your posts in the future.  (Read, "Not much.") :rolleyes: Attempting to link a shift in linguistic emphasis in the description of the doctrine of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to Oldsmobile's demise (and, by so doing, no doubt attempting to suggest that just as one has now met its demise, so, too, is the other's eventual demise inevitable) is what's known in elementary logic as a non sequitur.

 

Thanks again fer playin'!   :rolleyes:

Well stated!

 

You can speak for me anytime. (Within reason, of course.)

Posted

Well stated!

 

You can speak for me anytime. (Within reason, of course.)

And Kenngo can swing by anytime to pick you up for a ride in his father's Oldsmobile 442 (that's 4-on-the-floor, 4 barrel, 2 doors).  Cause ya both know that old-time religion--it never really gets old, whatever "modern prophets" might say...

;0)

 

--Erik

 

PS.  Now feast your unworthy eyes on a bit of that old-time "free agency" before it's lost from memory.

 

143d7ca397a71ccefedf106601394e36.jpg

Posted (edited)

And Kenngo can swing by anytime to pick you up for a ride in his father's Oldsmobile 442 (that's 4-on-the-floor, 4 barrel, 2 doors).  Cause ya both know that old-time religion--it never really gets old, whatever "modern prophets" might say...

;0)

 

--Erik

 

In terms of "old-time religion," there is nothing older than the gospel of Jesus Christ that was restored to the Prophet Joseph Smith beginning in 1820 after unauthorized men had changed it in the intervening centuries.

 

Edited to add:

 

And that is a nice-looking car.

Edited by Scott Lloyd
Posted (edited)

I don't know about how God feels, but from what I can tell, the Church is very much in favor of gun control:

That is a lot to read out of two policies specifically dealing with Church properties, cinepro. I do not permit anyone to smoke pot in my house. But this doesn't mean that I have a problem with those who wish to indulge outside my house.

 

Firearms

Churches are dedicated for the worship of God and as havens from the cares and concerns of the world. The carrying of lethal weapons, concealed or otherwise, within their walls is inappropriate except as required by officers of the law.

https://www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2-administering-the-church/selected-church-policies/21.2?lang=eng#212

- and -

Firearms and weapons are not permitted, concealed or not concealed, with or without a concealed weapon permit, while upon properties owned or controlled by the University (including on-campus housing), without specific written permission from the Chief of University Police

https://police.byu.edu/content/brigham-young-university-firearms-weapons-policy

As to the first item, if an active shooter situation ever occurred in a sacrament meeting sometime, and a member, contrary-to-policy, was carryi9ng that day and was able to terminate the situation with reduced loss of life, I don't think he or she would be facing a disciplinary council on the policy violation, do you?

And as to the second, a Gun Free Zone wasn't of much use when the Oregon shooter ignored it, was it? Or the one at Virginia Tech. BYU is just emulating the foolish policies of its fellow institutions of higher learning, thinking that forbidding something effectively eliminates its commission.

My credit union has a No Guns logo on its doors. Do they think that robbers will divest themselves of firearms and try robbing at knifepoint, then? Of course they don't. I suspect that they want the robbers to take the money and run, without getting into a shooting war inside the building when all the customers who are carrying decide to intervene.

I ignore their paltry policy, anyway, and especially when I am in the credit union I carry, if possible. Bank robbers seem to prefer taking money from where it can be found, after all. Not all bank robbers are going to simply take the money and run. Some might be true psychopaths and try to take some lives, too. I would not act to stop a bank robber who was contented with a mere robbery -- only if he or she went off the reservation to threaten lives in the process.

I have no desire to shoot anyone, if I can avoid it. But I refuse to be an unarmed victim, however, if I can avoid that.

Edited by Stargazer
Posted (edited)

"without specific written permission from the Chief of University Police"

How many permissions does he issue?

Edited by Calm
Posted

"without specific written permission from the Chief of University Police"

How many permissions does he issue?

 

Who knows, but I have witnessed FBI agents on BYU campus, who surely had their weapons.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...