CV75 Posted July 15, 2015 Posted July 15, 2015 We don't know what we don't know and sometimes what we do know we can't discuss anyway, so who knows? Yes, and hence we have experiences such as 3 Nephi 9:20: “And ye shall offer for a sacrifice unto me a broken heart and a contrite spirit. And whoso cometh unto me with a broken heart and a contrite spirit, him will I baptize with fire and with the Holy Ghost, even as the Lamanites, because of their faith in me at the time of their conversion, were baptized with fire and with the Holy Ghost, and they knew it not.” 1
mfbukowski Posted July 15, 2015 Posted July 15, 2015 It's interesting that all of this deeper discussion and teaching from president Benson didn't seem to be the focus of the lesson. At least not the one the Spirit taught in my quorum.Things I noticed from the Spirit that was not part.of anything I prepared:1) the sharing of how temples have influenced our lives and memories2) how the temples help us be more like Christ.3) how the temple helps us prepare our family to enter God's presenceWe spent more time on that then most of the parts I found deep and interesting such as the melchizedek orderAnd that is the personal value of the temple- the way it is in our hearts. The rest is intellectual stuff that might as well be quantum mechanics as far as I am personally concerned. Nice to read, nice to think about, but not too relevant to my daily life.
mfbukowski Posted July 15, 2015 Posted July 15, 2015 After reading this thread, I was curious how the discussion would go in my EQ. Then for some reason the teacher totally skipped that whole section. Maybe it was inspiration in looking at the audience.
Mars Posted July 15, 2015 Posted July 15, 2015 Maybe it was inspiration in looking at the audience. shots fired.
mfbukowski Posted July 15, 2015 Posted July 15, 2015 (edited) shots fired.I mean maybe there were investigators there who were improperly dressed, maybe even with beards and tattoos. You can't teach those kind of people about the fullness of the priesthood obviously. Edit: This was sarcasm, Some took it literally which was certainly possible. I used to be a hippie but there is no reason anyone here would know that- it was intended to describe myself. I just didn't make that clear. Edited July 16, 2015 by mfbukowski
janderich Posted July 16, 2015 Posted July 16, 2015 And that is the personal value of the temple- the way it is in our hearts. The rest is intellectual stuff that might as well be quantum mechanics as far as I am personally concerned. Nice to read, nice to think about, but not too relevant to my daily life.Perhaps some details of the "intellectual stuff" might not be relevant but I get worried about statements that tend to close our minds. In fact in responding to comments I have learned some new things that I believe are very relevant to my eternal salvation. And further, the portion of the Pres. Benson lesson we are discussing is from an address given at the Logan Temple re-dedication and is called, "What I Hope You Will Teach Your Children About the Temple". How can we possibly teach our children about the patriarchal order if we do not understand it? Or was Pres. Benson off his rocker when he asked us to teach our children? I say, study it out, be open to new thoughts, and if some details cannot be understood then ponder them in your heart from time to time and the Lord will reveal the truth of it at some point. 1
mfbukowski Posted July 16, 2015 Posted July 16, 2015 Perhaps some details of the "intellectual stuff" might not be relevant but I get worried about statements that tend to close our minds. In fact in responding to comments I have learned some new things that I believe are very relevant to my eternal salvation. And further, the portion of the Pres. Benson lesson we are discussing is from an address given at the Logan Temple re-dedication and is called, "What I Hope You Will Teach Your Children About the Temple". How can we possibly teach our children about the patriarchal order if we do not understand it? Or was Pres. Benson off his rocker when he asked us to teach our children? I say, study it out, be open to new thoughts, and if some details cannot be understood then ponder them in your heart from time to time and the Lord will reveal the truth of it at some point.Understanding them is not the problem and I have taught my kids the Patriarchal Order. My point was that words are nice, as far as they go, but they do not go very far in "representing" the mysteries of godliness.
mfbukowski Posted July 16, 2015 Posted July 16, 2015 Why not?I went back and fixed it. I was describing myself at a different part of my life, but I certainly stupidly did not make that clear. It was sarcasm
JLHPROF Posted July 17, 2015 Posted July 17, 2015 Perhaps some details of the "intellectual stuff" might not be relevant but I get worried about statements that tend to close our minds. In fact in responding to comments I have learned some new things that I believe are very relevant to my eternal salvation. And further, the portion of the Pres. Benson lesson we are discussing is from an address given at the Logan Temple re-dedication and is called, "What I Hope You Will Teach Your Children About the Temple". How can we possibly teach our children about the patriarchal order if we do not understand it? Or was Pres. Benson off his rocker when he asked us to teach our children? I say, study it out, be open to new thoughts, and if some details cannot be understood then ponder them in your heart from time to time and the Lord will reveal the truth of it at some point. All very true.
Recommended Posts