General Conference & Motab Music - April 2015

HiJolly

General Conference Repertoire

4 Apr 2015 SATURDAY MORNING SESSION
#       Title
HB 83   Guide Us, O Thou Great Jehovah(verses 1 and 3)
HB 67   Glory to God on High
1558    Have I Done Any Good?
HB 5    High on the Mountain Top (congregational hymn)
1631    Come unto Jesus
1119    I Believe in Christ
HB 96   Dearest Children, God Is Near You    (contingency hymn)

5 Apr 2015 SUNDAY MORNING SESSION
#    Title
HB 66   Rejoice, the Lord Is King
46.1    He Is Risen
494     Consider the Lilies
HB 136  I Know That My Redeemer Lives (congregational hymn)
1709    Jesus Has Risen
1708    Christ the Lord is Risen Today
HB 81   Press Forward Saints              (contingency hymn)
HB 123  Oh, May My Soul Commune with Thee (contingency hymn)

5 Apr 2015 SUNDAY AFTERNOON SESSION     
#    Title
1465    My Redeemer Lives
1517    He Sent His Son
HB 59   Come, O Thou King of Kings (congregational hymn)
1584    Tell Me the Stories of Jesus
New     Lord, I Would follow Thee
HB 113  Our Savior's Love         (contingency hymn)
HB 125  How Gentle God's commands (contingency hymn)

HiJolly,

Where were you last October, when I needed emergency voice/performance lessons?! :huh:

;):D

(Happy singing!) :)

If you're wondering what the heck I'm talking about, see here:

http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/64226-music-oct-2014-gen-conf-sat-afternoon-session/

Edited by Kenngo1969

Hah! Well, I hope you enjoyed it. There's something special about singing in General Conference.

Indeed there is. :)

P.S.: If you wouldn't mind, tell us more about the really high numbers listed by some of the works you'll be performing.  I'm sure that, in part, it's an indication of how vast the Choir's repertoire is.  How is the music indexed, et cetera?

Edited by Kenngo1969

I tried to PM you HiJolly but it said you couldn't receive any new messages.  I figured i might as well just ask you here.  If you'd rather PM an answer back then that's great too-whatever works best for you.

My friend lives in Layton and has an advanced degree in music (i don't remember what it is exactly but it's something with singing).  She's married with three young kids and also works part time as a personal trainer.

She would love to try out for the Mormon Tabernacle Choir but is really concerned that the time commitment would be too much considering everything else she has going on.  I told her about you and said i would ask you when i got the chance what being a member of that choir entails.  

So thanks in advance for any info you can share!

bluebell, 

We have mandatory minimum80% attendance required for all rehearsals. Minimum rehearsals at temple square are Thursday from 7:00 to 9:30pm, and Sunday from 7:25 to 9:30am. 

When we have a special project, we rehearse on Sundays from 10:00 to 11:30am (from 40% to 70% of the Sundays) and when things are getting really close we'll also rehearse on Tuesdays from 7:00 to 9:30 (about 10% to 25% of the Tuesdays). So for example. 

For the Annual National ACDA convention, we gave 3 concerts on 2/26, 2/27 and 2/28. Call times were 7:00, 7:00 and 6:00pm (I think) and we were done by 9:30pm. From the 2nd week of Jan we rehearsed 3 times a week (1 Thu, 2 Sun) and in Feb we rehearsed 4 times a week (add Tue). The week of 2/22 - 2/28 We had rehearsals(or performances) every day except Monday.  

Something like that happens 3 or 4 times a year. And then there's always General Conference, but it only takes about 3 rehearsals total. So it's not too bad, time-wise, but the pressure is there to perform perfectly. But it's awesome! 

We memorize about 25% to 40% of the time, plus all concert music (30 peices for ACDA, about 15 I already knew pretty well). 

Every odd #'d year we do a 2 week (little more, little less) 'tour'. The longest I ever did was 3 full weeks. It was too long. This year it's 14 days - we're spending like 7 or 9 days in NYC, including July 4th. A spouse can come, but I've never been able to afford taking my wife. It's just too much $$. For Choir members, all necessary expenses are paid (like food - we get a per diem if not served at the hotel/venue). Tour attendance is not mandatory, but is expected. On tour Sundays we only do Sacrament meeting but it's spectacular -- uhm -- SO spiritual... 

A minimum of 5 years is expected, if you join. But there's no punishment if you leave early. You do need a temple recommend. 

Edited by HiJolly

If you wouldn't mind, tell us more about the really high numbers listed by some of the works you'll be performing.  I'm sure that, in part, it's an indication of how vast the Choir's repertoire is.  How is the music indexed, et cetera?

I think the numbering is about to 2200 now. The only 'new' piece this conference will be a new arrangement of "Lord, I Would Follow Thee". I'm sorry, but I really know very little about the library for the sheet music we use. 

I tried to PM you HiJolly but it said you couldn't receive any new messages.  I figured i might as well just ask you here.  If you'd rather PM an answer back then that's great too-whatever works best for you.

My friend lives in Layton and has an advanced degree in music (i don't remember what it is exactly but it's something with singing).  She's married with three young kids and also works part time as a personal trainer.

She would love to try out for the Mormon Tabernacle Choir but is really concerned that the time commitment would be too much considering everything else she has going on.  I told her about you and said i would ask you when i got the chance what being a member of that choir entails.  

So thanks in advance for any info you can share!

The three young kids seem to make it unlikely she can manage the Sunday stuff unless her husband has no Sunday calling or they are all in Primary….or there is someone in the ward that is willing to help with the kids if necessary.  Not saying that the husband wouldn't be capable of caring at home for them all on his own as many a mom has done so and there are single parents with that many kids at church…or more even (we had one widow with 7 kids ranging from abouy 5 to mission age for example in our ward)…just that he might end up resenting her getting this extremely spiritual experience all the time and him probably not enjoying Sunday too much on his own part, it would take some getting used to and it might make a difference to the kids not to have Mom there on Sunday with them when attending church for years even if they knew she was with the Choir and having church there.  Just as when the dad is absent a lot with Sunday callings it can affect how kids view the Church.  It would be something I would keep a close eye on.

Edited by calmoriah