I Am Addicted To The Sisterhood

bluebell

It's a reality show on Lifetime that is following five girls who are in the process of decided whether or not they want to become nuns.

It is so interesting!  There are definitely parts of the nun lifestyle that i am jealous of right now (leaving theological differences out of it).  I love how they have so much time for personal reflection and study and prayer and worship.  As a mother of four with an 18 month old and 4 month old, that idea is very appealing.  :)

On the far opposite end of the spectrum, since I have successfully attracted the collective indifference of the entirety of the female of the species, I wonder if Mormon Monkhood is an option. ;):D

Edited by Kenngo1969

It's a reality show on Lifetime that is following five girls who are in the process of decided whether or not they want to become nuns.

It is so interesting!  There are definitely parts of the nun lifestyle that i am jealous of right now (leaving theological differences out of it).  I love how they have so much time for personal reflection and study and prayer and worship.  As a mother of four with an 18 month old and 4 month old, that idea is very appealing.   :)

When my wife was a little girl she had polio and was in the hospital for a while.  The nurses were nuns and they were so nice to her that she decided she wanted to be a nun until she found out nuns could not get married and have babies.

Totally off topic because I am trying to distract myself (got a bit of a fever that is uncomfortable but not bad enough to do anything about).....

I marvel at times of the changes that have occurred in my lifetime or a little bit beyond it. Polio is one of those things...it still held fear when I was young though no one I knew got it, my kids never had to consider it and now some parents think it is better to skip the vaccine and take the risk.

My neighbour's first grade class was used as test subjects for one of the versions for the vaccine. They found out when he was in fifth grade out of a class around thirty only four were still alive and he was the only one not in a wheelchair. Can you imagine how bad the disease was that they were so incautious and in a hurry about testing the cure?

Edited by calmoriah

One thing that did surprise me, and it probably shouldn't have as my surprise likely comes from my lack of experience with nuns, was that the girls looked at Jesus as a romantic partner-a husband in every sense of the word.

I know that nuns are married to Christ but I guess i never thought they took it so literally.

One thing that did surprise me, and it probably shouldn't have as my surprise likely comes from my lack of experience with nuns, was that the girls looked at Jesus as a romantic partner-a husband in every sense of the word.

I know that nuns are married to Christ but I guess i never thought they took it so literally.

Carmelite spirituality is intensely focused on an interior relationship with God, that is lived both inwardly and outwardly. It's also not only a spirituality for nuns. 

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/john_cross

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/teresa