Cut And Paste

3DOP

I learned how to "cut and paste" some time ago. It was very handy for giving references and quoting pertinent parts of posts. Is my computer messed up or does the site no longer allow cutting and pasting? I try to quote a part of a long post on this site and then it won't let me paste it anymore. I can if I go to wordpad and then transfer. It takes too long though. Its annoying and sometimes I mess it up. I am wondering...Is cutting and pasting now discouraged for some reason?

Anyway...those are my very dull questions. Thanks for any help. 

Hey Mars...What kind? The screen thing says Dell. This other thing says HP. The keyboard says hp. I am pretty sure that stands for Hewlett Packard. I think I am on a server that is called firefox (mozilla firefox to be precise) and maybe changing that will help according to what cal says. To the best of my recollection the process when it works correctly is as follows:

I somehow highlight a part of the text and then I do a click and get a choice to copy. I then do another click. After that I go someplace else where I want to put the thing I just copied. I do a click and it used to give me choices...one of which was called, paste. But now its just a bunch of garbage choices that I don't understand. I have chosen some of them to my regret just to see what happens, and it just makes a bunch of other junk show up that I don't want.

----

Thanks to you bb and cal too. I think I'll show this to my wife and ask her if we can "change browsers".

You can always try a different browser, or at least upgrade the one you're currently using (if there are any updates available.)

I use both Firefox (while I'm at work) and Chrome (while at home) and I have not had an issue with copy and paste.  There's a whole host of other browsers out there.  It sounds like you're on a Windows machine and using Internet Explorer.  Internet Explorer is usually not recommended by tech experts, half out of spite for Microsoft and half for real legitimate reasons.  As general advice, it'd be good to change your browser and - this is very important - keep on top of updates.

As for your current problem, before you try cutting and pasting, try this:

1. Click and drag the mouse across the text to highlight as normal.

2. Do not right click. Instead, on the keyboard, hold down 'Ctrl' and hit 'c.'

3. Move the mouse and click in the spot you want to paste, moving the cursor.

4. Do not right click.  Instead, on the keyboard, hold down 'Ctrl' and hit 'v.'

See if that works.  If not, time for a new browser.  If so, you have a work around.

Let us know.

1. Click and drag the mouse across the text to highlight as normal.

2. Do not right click. Instead, on the keyboard, hold down 'Ctrl' and hit 'c.'

3. Move the mouse and click in the spot you want to paste, moving the cursor.

4. Do not right click.  Instead, on the keyboard, hold down 'Ctrl' and hit 'v.'

Heheh.

It didn't like the first step. So I right clicked as normal to get "copy". Then I did 'Ctrl" and 'v'. You see the results! Thanks Mars.

I noticed when  I switch to terminal server 2012 some things in fire fox don't work. I think that updates roll out and stuff gets messed up all the time.

So what happens when gmail says my browser won't support the platform or something and needs to be updated and I go to update and apparently my computer is too old to accept it.

Is it eventually going to lock me out of accessing?

I am hoping to wait for 9 more months till my husband gets his new research money which he puts towards a new computer and then it is my turn to inherit it...daughter always grabs the handmedown iPad for her games (and i get hers) since I just use mine for browsing and solitaire but I can't access my mail accounts on mine as it bombs...I am assuming they got too big or complicated.

Edited by calmoriah

Bear in mind it's good to run the latest versions of browsers because of security issues.

As a general rule if you avoid questionable websites and are very wary of opening files - PDFs, especially - you should be fine.  But where possible, it's always a good idea to update to the latest version of your browser.

• 2 months later...

Now I'm having the same issues with c/p!  I thought it was because of some updates on my computer but it turns out I'm able to c/p on another forum with no problem, I just tried and it worked, of course I didn't really need to c/p just thought I'd see if it worked.  Which makes me think I may have been disabled from c/p on this forum.  If true it's going to be a pain for sure.  Any insight from members/mods would help a lot!   

Given the number of posters having this problem, there must be some sort of incompatibility between this site and some browsers.

Hasn't the usual advice been to try a different browser...like something besides Internet Explorer?

Given the number of posters having this problem, there must be some sort of incompatibility between this site and some browsers.

Hasn't the usual advice been to try a different browser...like something besides Internet Explorer?

Yes.  I had to go to Chrome and Opera to get it to work again.

Hey Mars...What kind? The screen thing says Dell. This other thing says HP. The keyboard says hp. I am pretty sure that stands for Hewlett Packard. I think I am on a server that is called firefox (mozilla firefox to be precise) and maybe changing that will help according to what cal says. To the best of my recollection the process when it works correctly is as follows:

I somehow highlight a part of the text and then I do a click and get a choice to copy. I then do another click. After that I go someplace else where I want to put the thing I just copied. I do a click and it used to give me choices...one of which was called, paste. But now its just a bunch of garbage choices that I don't understand. I have chosen some of them to my regret just to see what happens, and it just makes a bunch of other junk show up that I don't want.

----

Thanks to you bb and cal too. I think I'll show this to my wife and ask her if we can "change browsers".

I would do a serious malware cleanup.  I use 3 free programs for this: - Spybot - Malwarebytes and Emsisoft.  I update and run these programs about once a week.