Original Sin

timothy1983

Hi there,

I'm doing an assignment and I've got some questions regarding what mormonism's viewpoint on sin is,

All I need is someone to answer the following questions for me,

1. What is the definition of sin?

1. How did Sin enter the world?

1. Are we born with sin?

1. How does this affect mankind now?
  1. A person of Mormon faith
  2. A person outside the Mormon faith (but having another faith)
  3. A person who does not have any faith

1. What causes us to sin?

1. Does everybody:

1. Commit sin
  2. Have sin in them

1. Are there different levels/grades of sin?

1. What are the repercussions/punishment of Sin?
  1. While mankind is alive on earth
  2. After mankind dies

1. What covers/makes up for sin?

Thanks in advance:-)

Hi there,

I'm doing an assignment and I've got some questions regarding what mormonism's viewpoint on sin is,

This is the best place to post it, there is a good chance your other will be deleted as off topic, but if you could answer my concerns I posted in the other thread, then I could answer yours. :) Edited by calmoriah

Hi there,

This is the best place to post it, there is a good chance your other will be deleted as off topic, but if you could answer my concerns, then I could answer yours. :)

Here is a link for stuff to study while people get back to you...though they may wait until they find out the purpose as well.

https://www.lds.org/topics/sin?lang=eng

Hi calmoriah,

Looks like the other one did get taken down so I didn't get to see your reply, I'm doing a unit called Reflections in Theology, I have to interview a person of a different theological position and then analyse the differences, I've always had an interest in mormonism and as I don't one, I thought this could be the best place, I do have to include the questions/answers in my appendix, but will be writing 'anonymous' as the person, if this doesn't address your concerns please don't hesitate in replying to this thread:-)

Sorry Calmoriah, I wasn't looking at the most recent posts on the other forum, I think i answered your questions, even though it is academia and I could choose any religion, the reason I chose to look at mormonism on the topic of sin is I genuinely want to understand the theological viewpoints from LDS on this issue:-) I will not be asking you to do my assignment for me and i've tried to keep questions to a minimum

I don't know that I can answer your distinct questions, as the theology is much simpler.

1. What is the definition of sin?   Don't know that I've ever read an official one, other that  in scripture, that you have to know the law and rebel against it, in order to sin.   This means that sin requires more than an act that is wrong.  It requires knowing that an act is wrong.
  1. How did Sin enter the world?   All those who live on earth participated in a discussion of what God's plan was for such spirits, before they were born.   The Plan was that we had progressed as far as we could without a body.  We would be born and grow, eventually becoming like God in the choices we make, the attitudes we have, our emotions and actions.  Satan was in that council and he said he would come to earth and make sure that everyone returned.   But God wants people who choose to follow Him, being compelled to do so doesn't create the ability and power needed to become like Him.   Having the power of choice is perhaps the most important part of the power of being God.   Sin occurs when we know what is right and good, and we choose differently.   So I guess you could say that sin entered the world at its inception as the inevitable result of agency and imperfect mortals.

1. Are we born with sin?   Mormons do not believe in "the original sin", nor that anything about our births was sinful.

1. How does this affect mankind now?    Each day, as we work towards becoming all we can be, we struggle with the natural man and all that entails --- what others call the seven deadly sins, are among them, but there are lots of opportunities in any day to choose both wrong, and less than the full measure of our creation.   Each day hopefully we get better at controlling that natural man, repenting quickly, having a changed heart so we have no more disposition to do evil but to do good continually.
  1. What causes us to sin?   Wanting things of the world more than we want the things of God.

1. Does everybody?    The only One who never sinned is Jesus.   All the rest of us do to varying degrees.

1. Commit sin
  2. Have sin in them      Even Jesus has the capacity to Sin, He just chose never to do so.

1. Are there different levels/grades of sin?    There are two sins that cannot be repented of ---- intentional murder (no way to make full restitution because you cannot make them alive again to complete their own journey), and denying the Holy Ghost, having a perfect knowledge of Christ.   Sexual sin is also serious as those who engage in it are disrupting the way that Heavenly Father planned for children to be born.  (Just like murder interferes with God's power to give and end life.)   There are another handful of sins, which require church disciplinary council be held.   And if you were to talk to a bunch of Mormons many of them would tell you specific sins that they find most heinous.   But I think our theology is that whether the sin is gossiping or burglary, both of them, unrepented of have the capacity to put the person who does them outside of the Atonement and the result is the same for all in that category.

1. While mankind is alive on earth  Sin keeps us from becoming who we are meant to become, like our Savior.   Sin also hurts others and ourselves in every day ways.   And it stops our progression.   Sin generally has its natural consequences.  Serious sins can also result in temporary restrictions on what we are allowed to do at church, and termination of church membership.

2. After mankind dies    We will retain all the natural man characteristics in the eternities that we have on earth.   If we are addicted on earth, we will be addicted after we die, but without the body to do anything about that addiction.  If we are intemperate we'll still be arguing in heaven.   God won't remember any sin that is repented of (steps= acknowledge, godly sorrow, quit doing it, confess to those wronged and God and in some cases bishop, make restitution, do not do it again) .   Unrepented sin will be judged (mostly by ourselves in relation to what we could have been/had) and we will be assigned to a glory that we can live happily with.

1. What covers/makes up for sin?    Complete repentance, including change of heart.  After we are baptized (and Mormons believe that every person who has ever lived on earth will have the opportunity to learn and understand the Gospel of Jesus Christ and receive the required ordinances including baptism, either while they live on earth, or after they die (the ordinances being completed by proxy on earth for them to accept if they want),  we are perfect in Christ every moment every day we are doing our personal best to become like Him and kept God's commandments and quickly repenting when we sin.  The Atonement of Jesus Christ makes up all of the difference between our personal best and objective perfection.   "It is by grace we are saved after all we can do."
Edited by rpn
  • 2 weeks later...

When we "sin" we are doing those things that pull us or turn us away from our God.  It is willfully going against the laws that he has given us.  When we left the presence of our Father, and came to earth, we became a "natural man", prone to responding to things physically.  The plan given us in the lfe before, was to help us grow spiritually and enable us to become more like God that we may eventually beable to abide in his presence, not just as a spirit, but as a living resurrected physical being.  The laws given to us by the Lord are not to punish us any more than the law of gravity is here to punish us.  They are given to refine us.  Sin just takes us away from that refinement and stops our progress.   Now you might wonder about the "first sin".  It was a transgression.  The difference between a sin and a transgression, is that a transgression is the breaking of a physical law.  These kinds of laws to not harm us spiritually, but we still have consequences for breaking them.  Sinning, however will harm us spiritually and can only be remidied through, using the atonement through repentance.  Sometimes, there will still be physical consequenses because of the nature of the sin committed, but if you really repent, there will be no consequences spiritually. 

Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

1. Are we born with sin?

1. Does everybody:

1. Commit sin
  2. Have sin in them

2. After mankind dies

So, you are not Mormon then. You are Evangelical. You have heard of angry ex-Mormons, well I am sometimes angry ex-evangelical.

Because I know what you are looking for, I think, Mormons view the so called "original sin" as an opportunity for Adam and Eve to learn. Mormons do not blame eve for what EV folk see as a debacle.

The answers to the rest of your questions depend upon if you lean toward Calvinism or Armenian-ism.

An important thing you can learn about Mormons is that other than the odd exception, Mormons are the most loving and healing people I have ever encountered, and have correctly identified the message of Jesus the Christ and have sought to put it into every word and deed within human limitations. If everyone were Mormon, there would be almost no need for Mental Health counselors.

Mormon men treat women more equitably than anyone in my experience and that includes Several Ev churches, and Islam.

If you wish to ask me non baited questions, we can talk privately.

Hi there,

1. Are we born with sin?

1. Does everybody:

1. Commit sin
  2. Have sin in them

2. After mankind dies

I think you should focus more on communication studies. Your question labeling is insanely confusing. How many question 1s do you need? Is this a copy and paste job?